Im not Brave!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm not Brave!

Not afraid of asking as long as it's the real owner. Asked a guy one day and he said, "No problem"...even wrote me a permission letter and he signed it. Not too long after that I was detecting that field and here comes this big red truck screaming at me, skids to a stop, dirt flying everywhere, huge image of a man jumps out and he's looking really pissed off, heck, his britches were as big as my jeep. Anyway, come to find out that he was the real owner of the property, the guy who signed my letter was just his playful neighbor. Eventually the big guy laughed it all off but I gotta tell you, I darn near had to drive my jeep home standing up. :laughing7:

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

Sure! If you ask enough people then eventually you'll run across a jerk, but they ain't too bad.

One old lady (woman more like it, she wasn't a lady!) followed me all the way to the truck, all the while inventing new ways to tell me how dumb I was for even asking such a ridiculous thing.

I just kept thanking her for her time and agreeing with her. What the heck, it didn't hurt me, just embarrassed me because the neighbor was laughing at me.

So I drove to his drive and hit him up to search his lot. (There had been a big nice house on the block back in the day) He said YES! He may have felt sorry for me over the reaming I took, but I don't care!

The old gripe stood out on her lawn scowling at me for a spell, but I was happy!! True story! That old gal had the meanest disposition I've ever encountered! No other has been anywhere near as nasty.

Most will say something like "I'm sorry, but other people have asked me and I told them no, so I'd better tell you no too."

Or "I'd rather not, but thanks for asking." I have also been told "Thanks anyway, but I'm not interested." Still ain't figured that one out. LOL!

Sky Pilot

Rockin Chairs Gold

Dec 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Pro Coil, SunRay X 5.5, S.E.F. 6x8, Excalibur II

bigscoop said:
Not afraid of asking as long as it's the real owner. Asked a guy one day and he said, "No problem"...even wrote me a permission letter and he signed it. Not too long after that I was detecting that field and here comes this big red truck screaming at me, skids to a stop, dirt flying everywhere, huge image of a man jumps out and he's looking really pissed off, heck, his britches were as big as my jeep. Anyway, come to find out that he was the real owner of the property, the guy who signed my letter was just his playful neighbor. Eventually the big guy laughed it all off but I gotta tell you, I darn near had to drive my jeep home standing up. :laughing7:

Oh I liked that one a lot. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: Rick :coffee2:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Farscape said:
Has anyone had someone be totally rude to them?

Yes, on a number of occasions.

At one, my buddy and I were sooo confused. He opened the door and was as friendly as could be. We asked him if he owned the farm land in front of and around his house. He said yes and started to show us all of his land and then out of the blue got really angry. He then pushed my map back at me, screamed that he didn't own any land and had no idea what were talking about and slammed the door right in our faces.

At another... We pull up to the farm house and the son is out working on his car and Grandma is a few feet away listening to the conversation. The kid (20ish) says sure and Grandma doesn't correct him. We start detecting the field and pop a few wheats out right away. We were about 150' out into this farm field when a car comes barreling at us at about 40 mph. The guy is angry and starts yelling at us to get off his land. He then tells us that he knows exactly what we are looking for with our "Geiger counters."

My buddy had left an extra coil about 50' away and he drove over and without getting out of his car grabbed it and sped up to him to make sure he got it.

As we are packing our machines back into the car, ANOTHER vehicle comes driving onto the field after us. This time it is an SUV and they are just as angry at us. It was quite the morning!

Then we have the other kind of people. We get to talking to them and they start giving us permission to detect 20 different locations without us even asking. One guy even gave us a fairly valuable antique book from the 1870s just because we were into history.

So, with that said, you take the good with the bad.

I still haven't been able to muster up the courage to go knock on doors and ask to detect their actual yard. I don't have a clue how to even attempt that. But I've also had random strangers invite me to detect their yard without me even asking. So, you just never know.

I've noticed in the past year or so, though, that people around here have gotten a bit ruder and don't want people on their land. A few years ago I didn't even know what the word NO meant. Now, we can go all day sometimes and knock on a lot of doors without getting a yes.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II

Farscape said:
Sky Pilot said:
That's cool.

Next chance, head out and experience the great feeling of success! Keep your resolve strong, you'll do well brother!

Sky Pilot

I'll certainly do my best. I just have to remember the worst they can do is say no.

Nup...the worst they can do is to be in debt to some criminal organisation and be extremely nervous when you come knocking at the door. My advice is to do as the police do...and stand to one side when you knock! :laughing9: :laughing9:

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett

Good Morning; first ditch the cammies, second wear a cap like for a good organization lions,masons, service oriented. ditch the glasses , smile look clean . carry a note pad to get a written permission, bald dont matter. Bob

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

lonesomebob said:
Good Morning; first ditch the cammies, second wear a cap like for a good organization lions,masons, service oriented. ditch the glasses , smile look clean . carry a note pad to get a written permission, bald dont matter. Bob

I never wear cammies, I normally wear a ball cap when I go, I am always clean, I feel I have a friendly disposition, and I would most definitely get it in writing.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Farscape, I have never been turned down in the two short years that I've been md'ing...(may get ten no's in a row next times out though)......When I knock on the door(doot bell) I always step back away from the door. It makes them feel not threatened. Keep a smile on your face(they could be looking through the peep hole).....I introduce myself and tell them I have a hobby of finding old coins, etc...around old home places. I tell them I use a coin finder(sounds better than metal detector. lol.. which is still in the truck.) When you are talking every now and then nod your head in a yes mode.(dont over do it though)....tell them if you dig any SMALL cuts you will leave them looking as good as new....keep a friendly smile.........never use the words "treasure, gold or silver".....main thing is to make them feel at ease......even the Bible says if a man is to have friends he has to be friendly himself.....I'm sure there are some more experienced md'ers here that could add a lot to this but this approach works for me.....

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

m bryan said:
Farscape, I have never been turned down in the two short years that I've been md'ing...(may get ten no's in a row next times out though)......When I knock on the door(doot bell) I always step back away from the door. It makes them feel not threatened. Keep a smile on your face(they could be looking through the peep hole).....I introduce myself and tell them I have a hobby of finding old coins, etc...around old home places. I tell them I use a coin finder(sounds better than metal detector. lol.. which is still in the truck.) When you are talking every now and then nod your head in a yes mode.(dont over do it though)....tell them if you dig any SMALL cuts you will leave them looking as good as new....keep a friendly smile.........never use the words "treasure, gold or silver".....main thing is to make them feel at ease......even the Bible says if a man is to have friends he has to be friendly himself.....I'm sure there are some more experienced md'ers here that could add a lot to this but this approach works for me.....

I live in a town that tries to market itself as a retirement community so it has a bunch of older folks...I wonder if that's a good thing or not...Older folks I think would be harder to persuade.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Sounds really good M Bryan.
Congrats on your successful streak! :thumbsup:

I personally don't use "coins" unless they ask me what I hope to find, but that's simply my preference. It obviously works very well for you! :thumbsup:

If I'm in a person's yard or field near their house (within eyesight) or I'm not intending to come back when that person is gone, I never ask them to sign a paper. Their name is good enough.

If permission is theirs to grant, then a paper isn't necessary, if permission isn't theirs to grant, then a paper ain't gonna help. Having their name is good because if someone comes by to

see what you're doing up on "Old Man Stephens' place" you can tell them "Wayne was kind enough to let me..." And never forget to ask curious folks who stop to check it out

(your detector, activities, etc.) if they know of any old place that you can hunt before they leave. That's probably my no. 2 way of getting sites, and a lot of them have been really great!

They've already broken the ice, so asking them about places is just the natural progression of the conversation. To not do so would be suspicious! Okay, probably not suspicious, but odd! LOL!!

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

Sky Pilot said:
Sounds really good M Bryan.
Congrats on your successful streak! :thumbsup:

I personally don't use "coins" unless they ask me what I hope to find, but that's simply my preference. It obviously works very well for you! :thumbsup:

If I'm in a person's yard or field near their house (within eyesight) or I'm not intending to come back when that person is gone, I never ask them to sign a paper. Their name is good enough.

If permission is theirs to grant, then a paper isn't necessary, if permission isn't theirs to grant, then a paper ain't gonna help. Having their name is good because if someone comes by to

see what you're doing up on "Old Man Stephens' place" you can tell them "Wayne was kind enough to let me..." And never forget to ask curious folks who stop to check it out

(your detector, activities, etc.) if they know of any old place that you can hunt before they leave. That's probably my no. 2 way of getting sites, and a lot of them have been really great!

They've already broken the ice, so asking them about places is just the natural progression of the conversation. To not do so would be suspicious! Okay, probably not suspicious, but odd! LOL!!

Sky Pilot

The getting it in writing part would be a good idea in my town...there has been many times that I would be doing a boulevard and someone just walking by would call the cops and tell me to leave because someone complained...even if they weren't the home owner.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Uuugghh! That sucks!

Well I ain't saying that getting it in writing is a waste of time or bad idea either one, just that in my area there's no reason to get it.

If you are in the yard where the person lives, would they still hassle you? I'm just asking because that's unheard of here. (South East Tennessee)

As for the older folks, I find that some are really miserable critters (like the woman in my other post), but for the most part they are just older examples of us, really.

Most have children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren, and they haven't forgotten what it's like to be young for the most part.

Honestly, the biggest thing about old folks is that they tend to be lonely and thus they kinda "keep you plenty of company", if you know what I mean.

Old rich folks are just like young rich folks, some are much better!

Sky Pilot

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other

Sky Pilot said:
Uuugghh! That sucks!

Well I ain't saying that getting it in writing is a waste of time or bad idea either one, just that in my area there's no reason to get it.

If you are in the yard where the person lives, would they still hassle you? I'm just asking because that's unheard of here. (South East Tennessee)

As for the older folks, I find that some are really miserable critters (like the woman in my other post), but for the most part they are just older examples of us, really.

Most have children, grandchildren and even great grandchildren, and they haven't forgotten what it's like to be young for the most part.

Honestly, the biggest thing about old folks is that they tend to be lonely and thus they kinda "keep you plenty of company", if you know what I mean.

Old rich folks are just like young rich folks, some are much better!

Sky Pilot

Not if I was directly in the yard..but someone would probably still call. Older folks are in the same category as young children when it comes to being inquisitive while you metal detect..lol

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

remember this lil fact--- everyone or place not asked about is a 100% NO * --so you can only IMPROVE your chances by asking politely * so even if 99 out of 100 says no and only 1 says yes --thats still better then 100% NO---thus you can only do better % wize by asking *

with that little confedance booster in mind --have a "upbeat" happy mood when one goes out to ask folks - do not come off in a "geez your gonna say no to me" -- whipped dog , nervious sorta look

ask folks nicely --if they say "no" be polite still --say thanks taking the time to speak with me --(its their land after all and YOU are in effect asking for a favor from them ) --do not be rude or snide after a NO they got freinds and family and neighbors remember? --get a no and be snotty to the landowner ---once they tell everyone how you acted (which they will if you do count on it ) you'll get a whole lot more NO's out of their "freinds" and family .

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Occasionally of course they do find that the odd den of cannibalistic serial killers are behind the mysterious disappearance of a detectorist or two in towns similar to yours.

[link]attachment missing or not found[/link]

So if you dig up any suspicious bones or see any low sunken spots out in the yard, you may want to leave post haste! I'd also watch for oversized flower beds just to be on the safe side.

I'm just sayin'! BE CAREFUL!!!!

Sky Pilot

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would just suggest that you forget about wearing sunglasses as not to hide your eyes..

That is unless you have crazy eyes, if that's the case, look into another hobby :laughing9:

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used

Hey Jason, I apologize for the foolish attempt at humor I made earlier. I'm sorry if it came off as crude, I was only trying to lighten the mood a bit! :thumbsup:

Please keep us posted concerning your experiences once you get to try these suggestions out!

Happy Hunting!

Sky Pilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread