OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: I'm not Brave!

JABBERWOCKY said:
I haven't asked many people for MDing permission but, the couple times I have
it really seems to help having the wife and kids with you if you can......
If you're not "blessed" with a family maybe barrow someone else's .

I have two cute little girls 4 and 1 that would probably help out in a situation like that. :icon_thumleft:

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You think you have it hard asking someone .
I have big scars running across my face and under my right eye ! Because of the damage I can not hardly smile so when someone first see's me they seem to automatically assume that I am mean or angry !
So when I go and ask people who do not know me , I take my Daughter inlaw along with me so they will even come to the door .

I'm not kidding , it is a real bummer when people just assume that you are mean by the way you look without even talking to the person first .
My kids say Well Dad you look like one of those Stone Cold Killers from the Movies ! What do expect they will do as most act on the first feeling they get when they see someone even if it is way off the mark .

So I even tell myself , do not assume and scare yourself into not asking , just try to be nice and ask even if you have to talk through the door .
And I do try to understand as most of the older adults and Women who are alone at home have to be somewhat cautious as most cannot defend there selves .

So take the sun glasses off and put on a ball cap , one that has something to do with detecting as they will see this and read what it says .
And if you need, do like me and take a girl friend or daughter along , they are not so threatening and will help the ones you are asking to be a little more at ease .
I have had the people I ask voice quiver they are so scared , that really makes me feel bad . So try to think it out before you go and you will be surprised at how many do say yes ! If you don't then you will end up like me and going by yourself to detect , you do not want that .

Once they get to know you in an area the word will get around to most and you will have a lot of places to hunt.

alderan33

Oct 15, 2010
Greenville, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3I
Garrett Pro Pointer
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

My technique is simple. I am a scary bald guy with a goatee too but I am friendly and non-confrontational when I approach someone to ask permission to detect. Usually the property owner has a dog or two and if I can gain the dogs' confidence, pet him briefly on my way up to the porch, the owner usually is somewhat disarmed. Dogs and kids are great judges of character and if you can win them over, the rest is downhill.
I recently called a lady to ask permission to detect on her property and she gave me permission over the phone but she said she wanted to meet me first. So I went to the property the next day, got out of the truck, and was greeted by three cow dogs. They let me pet them and I went confidently to the door and knocked. The lady opened the door and invited me right in. After talking with her briefly and giving her my name, phone number, and license plate number, I went to the truck and brought back a small gift for her. It was a wall hanging of a dog barking at a horse in a farm setting that I had made with my scroll saw. (That is what I do when it's too nasty outside to MD) When she saw the gift, I thought she was going to cry. Needless to say, she was very happy. I didn't give her the gift to kiss up, but to show my appreciation to her for letting a total stranger into her house and on her land. Sincerity and kindness goes a long way.

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Farscape-->
I don't think I'm that scary

"I'm detecting here, got anything to say to that!?!"

"Um, no sir. Please go ahead. Would you like to search my house too?"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread