D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
So i go to BoA today

Me: Do you have any halves?

Teller: No, sorry, we gave out our last box yesterday

Me: do you guys at least have any boxes of dimes that i may buy?

[Teller stares at me]

Teller: I'm sorry, but i can't give them to you.

Me: why?

Teller: Well, your a kid, and i don't think kids should be going to banks asking for coins...

Me: *FYI im 14 and in HS*

Teller: IDC i need your parent to be present

* Even if i brought my mom she was gonna fee me. Is this Hatred towards teens?
WTH??????

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That teller has HUGE problems with people being smart and independent.

Once your off the tit, your on your own. <-- no body has ever said that, but it's fun to say

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a somewhat similar situation with a teller saying "We don't sell coins to you Collectors". Well that didn't go over well, and after raising hell, I walked out, grabbed $450 in cents, and dumped them. Talk to the branch manager, this is discrimination. I guarnatee the bank's policy states they do not discriminate against age, sex, race, religious status, sexual orientation, etc.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
That's ridiculous... >:(
Better go dump 100's and 100's and 100's of dollars of pennies. CWR too so they have to check them ;) Or can just use a machine, and make them carry bags >:)
Sorry about the bad luck!
Wicka

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i go to BoA today

Me: Do you have any halves?

Teller: No, sorry, we gave out our last box yesterday

Me: do you guys at least have any boxes of dimes that i may buy?

[Teller stares at me]

Teller: I'm sorry, but i can't give them to you.

Me: why?

Teller: Well, your a kid, and i don't think kids should be going to banks asking for coins...

Me: *FYI im 14 and in HS*

Teller: IDC i need your parent to be present

* Even if i brought my mom she was gonna fee me. Is this Hatred towards teens?
WTH??????

This is a good lesson for a young CRHer. Occasionally you will run into uncooperative banks/tellers. If you stick with this hobby, it will likely happen several more times. When this happens to me (and I'm certainly long past being a kid), I just simply move on down the road. I would imagine you have plenty of other banks in your area that are still willing to part with a box of dimes.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great child/teen development idea, don't let them do anything that only "grownups" should do, then when they're old enough send them out into the world with no skills except how to listen to their parents. That's the reason I think our economy is in the toilet, we're too concerned with protecting our young ones from life instead of teaching them how to live it.

so yea, screw her. walk in there and demand to speak to her supervisor, show her that even 14 year olds know how to f- some stuff up

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about the bad experience. This person has an issue with not having any control over their life, and so they feel like the only way they are going to have any form of control is to deny you simple requests. Like other people are saying, demand to talk to a manager and ask why this person is being such an a-hole.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that's ruff KID! Haha I couldn't resist. Don't get mad just go to the next bank. There everywhere!

OP
OP
D1MES_101

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't think I should go back. My mom refuses to drive me anywhere so it's a 45 minute walk to boa ( not worth it)

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I would write a professionally formatted letter of complaint to the bank president including the situation and the tellers name and explain that at some point you will be a business customer or in a position to select professional banking services and investment services and that you will remember how their employee treated you. For banks to charge CRers a fee or in any way disrespect them is a very short sighted action.

I do not believe that any bank is allowed to selectively charge certain customers an unstated fee. This would be capricious in nature an probably illegal. Maybe inquire with the regulator of the bank as to their written policies on purchasing coins.

My bank CNB of Clearfield County Pa. has always been extremely respectful and professional. When I moved to this area I was referred to them by the guy who was doing my excavation on my new home. As a family we opened 6 accounts with them. I spoke with the bank manager and suggested to her that she thank Ralph (the excavator) They sent him a $75 gift card to a restaurant for referring us to them!

I have no problem buying or returning coins to them for my daughter Katie (Motorhead in the Ghostown Group) to search through. Katie has cerebral palsy and it's a great hobby for her. The tellers know me, my wife and my children by name.

You might try opening an account at a bank and building a rapport with several tellers before you ask for coins. Be professional; perhaps deal with a better quality institution. A couple years ago BoA was found to be a predatory lender. Their business practices are what made them a distressed bank that had to be bailed out because they were bankrupt.

There are good banks out there with nice employees just not BoA.

Sample Letter

BoA
Address

Dear Mr. (Presidents Name)

Recently I was in need of change. I asked ( Teller's Name) at your (Branch Name) if I could purchase a box of dimes and she insulted me and refused to allow me to have any change. I inquired as to why she could not fulfill my request and her response was "Well, your a kid, and i don't think kids should be going to banks asking for coins".

Perhaps I need to remind you that I will not remain young but will in short order be a business professional and I will remember how I was treated by BoA when I am looking for professional business and investment services. I will most likely also have children and also influence others in their banking decisions. To deny me service based upon my age is a very short sighted action on your part.

I hope that this action is remedied with your teller and that I will in the future receive the same respect that is granted to your older customers.

Sincerely,
D1MES 101
return address

If you are not satisfied with the BoA response then use whatever influence you have and tell everyone that you know how they treated you. I bank at CNB because their customer referred me to them. He was happy with their service. I was going to open my accounts at a competitor because they were closer, but he explained how they had fees for everything and how they had treated him poorly. People will listen and it will cost BoA customers.

Take the high road and remain professional. If the bank president doesn't respond send the same letter to the Board of Directors and tell them of the little regard the bank President had for your business. This is a company that needs all of the customer relationship management training that they can get!

Last edited:

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure Writer has a great point...either a professional letter or call & speak with the manager

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
dawg be a rebel and show the older generations they can't keep trying to hold this generation back

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just let it go , it's not worth it. There is a bank on every corner!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love finding these nasty tellers with attitudes ...they become my new dump site

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
reply -- I might be just a "kid" to you in your view but I'm still a "customer" -and at least I'm not a cuntankerous , grouchy soon to be unemployed teller , once I report you for being so unprofessional and rude to me , and for "age discrimination" because of my youth.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn kids, taking all our silver! Go play some video games, please. :laughing7:

C'mon man. There's a difference between kids, and mature young adults. A kid is someone who plays in the dirt, has nothing to worry about, a mature young adult is someone for example who CRH's, takes responsibility, and has things to manage and worry about. There's younger members on here, such as myself who do large volumes of over $500 a day, so we aren't really "kids" since we can responsibly handle these funds.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon man. There's a difference between kids, and mature young adults. A kid is someone who plays in the dirt, has nothing to worry about, a mature young adult is someone for example who CRH's, takes responsibility, and has things to manage and worry about. There's younger members on here, such as myself who do large volumes of over $500 a day, so we aren't really "kids" since we can responsibly handle these funds.

BOOM!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread