Im wondering if anyone has felt this way...about finds being phony?

EmptyPockets

Mar 16, 2013
Near Stockton California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold & Pro Pointer & Whites Prism II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wondering if anyone has felt this way...about finds being phony?

In the final analysis, I really don't care too much if someone posts an item they planted. Everything I see and read about is really cool and I love the history behind them.

Am I wrong to think that some posts are of items that were not really found?
I'm kind of wondering why I have some doubts at times.
I know I will find the ring or the silver coin and will be happy to keep hunting.

Just wondering if anyone else has got that feeling and is it normal?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is stuff that is posted thats not on the up and up...but what can you do about it...its their problem, not ours...they are only fooling theirselves.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember challenging a members find in open forum with out proof that it is fake, planted or false that can be presented to mods violates our rules............

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I found myself.. doing something dumb.. so dumb, no one believed it.:laughing7:

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, OK, ok, I admit. I have been planting pull tabs all around the country.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damn you PatrickD:BangHead:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only when I'm Jealous of the condition of a Find :laughing7:

in all seriousness, it's OK to think what you want,
but Please don't act on your Thoughts on here :icon_thumleft:

TreasureNet - Real Or Fake?

Personally all My finds are real, Unless they are considered Historical Artifacts.
Then they were fakes that were destroyed already.
and I never actually Hunted there.:occasion14:

Last edited:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I planted my best Indian head for my son to find.

Now he constantly tells me he's better than me and anything I find pales in comparison.
It's good I have his interest but when he's with me we have to dig everything.

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
I was thinking of planting for my son also. I just don't know what to plant to keep the excitement but not go to far over the top.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Answer is yes and I attribute this type of action to a phony lazy being that either can't or won't put forth the effort to really find what they post. Or the fact that these posters are looking for nothing but the attention that comes from all the responses they receive and want to feel a part of something bigger than they are able to achieve on their own. something you have to consider is the fact that some of these type may not be physically or financially able to participate to a point to actually do what others do here. The internet has created the ability for this kind of person to create their own little virtual world and their own little fan club of followers. It's rather obvious and can be seen round here in other forms as well. Such as posters who ask for advice or opinions about their problems or personal issues, they receive all kinds of good sound advice from experience members, then the OP takes none of the advice or suggestions and starts another thread about another problem and does it all over again. Saw a guy get ripped apart on another forum, he actually posted with pic's of a V nickel, a steel penny he says he dug and some Confederate paper money he found in a buried steel box. The coins and paper bills were pristine, they ripped him to shreds. Sorry I don't like fake anything.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone who has been detecting for a while knows what dug finds look like. The best advice when you see a post about something you think is a faked find, just ignore it. People who post fakes are seeking attention, don't give it to them. Sometimes there are also real finds in amazing condition and falsely accusing someone of fakery leads to a lot of bad blood. So just let it go, and go participate in another thread.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to MD with this guy. The first time out, he found a really cool old penny from like 1917 or something. The next time out, he found several old coins in an area I had searched before. The third time out, he found several other old coins. One was another penny like he found on the first hunt. I stopped hunting with him.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Answer is yes and I attribute this type of action to a phony lazy being that either can't or won't put forth the effort to really find what they post. Or the fact that these posters are looking for nothing but the attention that comes from all the responses they receive and want to feel a part of something bigger than they are able to achieve on their own. something you have to consider is the fact that some of these type may not be physically or financially able to participate to a point to actually do what others do here. The internet has created the ability for this kind of person to create their own little virtual world and their own little fan club of followers. It's rather obvious and can be seen round here in other forms as well. Such as posters who ask for advice or opinions about their problems or personal issues, they receive all kinds of good sound advice from experience members, then the OP takes none of the advice or suggestions and starts another thread about another problem and does it all over again. Saw a guy get ripped apart on another forum, he actually posted with pic's of a V nickel, a steel penny he says he dug and some Confederate paper money he found in a buried steel box. The coins and paper bills were pristine, they ripped him to shreds. Sorry I don't like fake anything.

I don't like Fake Either, But Our members would not "ripped him to shreds" as you say,
unless they want a vacation from here :icon_thumright:

as Our rules state

1. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible, regardless of proof, to state or suggest in an open forum that another member's find may not be genuine— unless, of course, he has raised that possibility himself, or there is an obvious issue that cannot be disputed or ignored (for example, if the word "COPY" is clearly stamped on a coin).
2. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible to suggest that a member may not actually have found the item which he has posted as a find.
4. Do NOT report doubts, suspicions, possibilities, or rumors to moderators or the administrator. Any formal report or complaint should be accompanied by full and absolute proof from independent, authoritative sources that the item is not, and cannot be, genuine.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of planting for my son also. I just don't know what to plant to keep the excitement but not go to far over the top.

Do be careful ,it really has kept his interest he found a silver Kennedy since and still feels the Indian is the best ever.
It is a nice one

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish someone would plant something really, really nice and then forgot where they planted it. Then I happen to stumble upon it and find it!:laughing9:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy looking at cool finds I try not to pick them apart and hunt down fakes .

My wife says I'm to trusting I would rather see the greater good,there's enough doomsayers these days

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like Fake Either, But Our members would not "ripped him to shreds" as you say,
unless they want a vacation from here :icon_thumright:

as Our rules state

You are absolutely right and that's why this is the best Treasure site on the Net. Sometimes it's just hard to not get involved and it's a lesson learned by all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread