Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Black Bart

Definitely an area worth searching for the two reasons you mentioned. Here is the map showing 2013 and 2017. Are ruins showed here later than the 1814 plantation?

Royal island.JPG

Definitely a place to detect.

panoramio-126743802.jpg

panoramio-16538262.jpg

And there was an old fishing retreat As the story goes, the development was built in the 1930s by wealthy Floridian W. P. Stuart as a remote getaway to kick back with his friends. It included a cliff side bar, a grand fireplace, numerous outbuildings, and trails down to the beach on the Atlantic side.

Yet the lost plantations discovery of where they existed is intriguing in itself. Maybe some treasure missed amigo?

At some point, the parties ceased, and the estate was left to settle into its surroundings. Many of the buildings are crumbling, with vines forming a picturesque wallpaper. Lizards now have the run of the place, and flora blooms in the holes between the bricks.
But its not the only place where treasure may be found connected to Every?

For those fascinated by history, or perhaps swashbuckling tales of adventure, Ile Sainte-Marie Island provides fascination as a former pirate haven. In the 17th and 18th Centuries, it's said that up to 1000 pirates called the island their home including the infamous and widely-feared William Kidd and Thomas Tew.

And of course Avery and crew of the fancy. I have not doubt pirates being pirates also looted for themselves as there is no honor among thieves and some no doubt would of had private secret caches while of the island to hide from other thieving pirates.

Here below is the famous pirate cemetery where many of those pirates took their secrets to the grave.

2cb1f17d732b22d3d3_Pirate_Grave,_Île_Sainte-Marie_(3958589460).jpg

2cb1f17d732b22d3d3_800px-Pirates_Cemetery_Ile_Ste_Marie_Madagascar.jpg

2cb1f17d732b22d3d3_800px-Pirate_Cemetery,_Ile_Sainte-Marie.jpg

panoramio-1230968.jpg

The island itself could possibly be riddle with small treasure caches and relics from these days. Another possible location of some of looted treasure?

panoramio-99136009.jpg

panoramio-99135977.jpg

What of beaches and areas around the island inhabited by pirates mixing with the local African population separating into factions. How many secret await those daring to seek.

Crow

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those fascinated by history, or perhaps swashbuckling tales of adventure, Ile Sainte-Marie Island provides fascination as a former pirate haven. In the 17th and 18th Centuries, it's said that up to 1000 pirates called the island their home including the infamous and widely-feared William Kidd and Thomas Tew.

And of course Avery and crew of the fancy. I have not doubt pirates being pirates also looted for themselves as there is no honor among thieves and some no doubt would of had private secret caches while of the island to hide from other thieving pirates.

Here below is the famous pirate cemetery where many of those pirates took their secrets to the grave.

View attachment 2143218

View attachment 2143219

View attachment 2143220

View attachment 2143223

The island itself could possibly be riddle with small treasure caches and relics from these days. Another possible location of some of looted treasure?

View attachment 2143224

View attachment 2143225

What of beaches and areas around the island inhabited by pirates mixing with the local African population separating into factions. How many secret await those daring to seek.

Crow
Let's go crow....I've herd of a find or 2 in the bush on mainland Madagascar 🇲🇬!!

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole island is up for sale for a cool: $45,000,000.00

Good luck Bart. There has got to be many more treasures to find around there, both land and sea.

If you find any muslim silver or gold coin(s), lets us know... Wish we knew what kind of gold coins the Haitians found.

No banks back then, wounder if there is a strong box or two,three, four, etc buried waiting to be discovered.

Safe hunting and have a great trip.....

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Black Bart

Definitely an area worth searching for the two reasons you mentioned. Here is the map showing 2013 and 2017. Are ruins showed here later than the 1814 plantation?

View attachment 2143227

View attachment 2143229

View attachment 2143230
And there was an old fishing retreat As the story goes, the development was built in the 1930s by wealthy Floridian W. P. Stuart as a remote getaway to kick back with his friends. It included a cliff side bar, a grand fireplace, numerous outbuildings, and trails down to the beach on the Atlantic side.

Yet the lost plantations discovery of where they existed is intriguing in itself. Maybe some treasure missed amigo?

At some point, the parties ceased, and the estate was left to settle into its surroundings. Many of the buildings are crumbling, with vines forming a picturesque wallpaper. Lizards now have the run of the place, and flora blooms in the holes between the bricks.

View attachment 2143218

View attachment 2143219

View attachment 2143220

View attachment 2143223

View attachment 2143224

View attachment 2143225

Crow
Nosy Boraha? And, Ile Aux Nattes?

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Black Bart

View attachment 2143227

View attachment 2143229

View attachment 2143230

View attachment 2143218

View attachment 2143219

View attachment 2143220

View attachment 2143223

View attachment 2143224

View attachment 2143225

Crow
Yes...yes...now its plain to see my attraction !! All is true, and the more modern ruins are still an attraction to sailors, and adventurers!! I quickly dissolve into the bush, and have several spots that I prefer here.....everyone must take into account that not all the history here is accountable, and I believe the spanish had an attraction to the island. The English discovered it because the spanish had it marked, and watered here. They more than likely released livestock here....hence the islets named egg 🥚 island !! I have many sat photos going pretty far back, they show many ruins across all three islands, and egg islands show clear rock wall delineation between stock pens and plantations. The natural harbor is very defensible and should be considered. Pirates could have clearly defended this island fortress. The English inherited this island from the spanish, and would have continued to improve on earlier progress. Hence my lopez tobacco pipe find from early 1600s. I do believe the fancy would have anchored up close to deep water (for escape purpose)
Screenshot_20240413_125131_Google Earth.jpg

The big red circle denote the entire Anchorage known as Meeks patch Anchorage.
Screenshot_20240413_124908_Google Earth.jpg

I believe the fancy would have been here, and now you start to feel the vibe for where some crew might have went ashore if they did !! When you look on Google where there are some nice spots to land a long boat, it becomes apparent quite quickly!! Having been on the ground/ocean here its only possible to land on white sand if your not in the inner harbor.....most of the island is very rocky, and will destroy a boat in most conditions except becalmed.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20240413_132437_Google Earth.jpg
Screenshot_20240413_132401_Google Earth.jpg

I'll let you guys look !! Your anchored in the fancy here and the boys go ashore to gamble, hunt, and drink. Where do YOU row your long boat ashore to make camp !!?? Its pretty obvious!! Now let's say we make a fire and a camp and gamble and party !?? Is it possible to loose some coin, or relics (buttons, shoe buckles, bottles) or maybe you want to protect some of your money from the prospect of capture in Nassau?? Well you'll know where I want to look....add the fact that a certain type of palm 🌴 was used as a navigational aid from sea by spaniards....they marked the south west corners of certain islands that held livestock and water. This way they would be able to identify wich ones to provision at !! These palms continue to grow in wild groves hundreds of years later still carrying on !! These would have been the known spots to sailors !! Wonder if any crew made a stop back to royal island on there way out of the bahamas !??

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another point is the looting of the tomb by American privateers in 1814.....its not a tomb, and was an ammo depot...I've been in it, and it's most definitely a loyalist powder depot, and arms storage. This island has always been loyal to England.... royalist, or loyalist !! The Americans came here to squash a budding loyalist fortification to be used in the war of 1812....there was most certainly more money 💰 here than is written about, and are man Barnett was colluding with loyalist and they were sure to be a base for English privateeers/wreckers/pirates these lines were blurred, and everyone could be a farmer when they needed. The soil sucked....everyone dabbled in wrecking, privateering, or maybe even some quick piracy if the opportune moment presented itself !!

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a device that may be of great advantage to wield 🤓
Fairly new….. called the “Gold Legend” made by Geoground of Germany.
It can read ionic signatures to ground depths up to 40 meters, and can read quite a ways out 👍🙌🏻

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a device that may be of great advantage to wield 🤓
Fairly new….. called the “Gold Legend” made by Geoground of Germany.
It can read ionic signatures to ground depths up to 40 meters, and can read quite a ways out 👍🙌🏻

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

I cannot comment on the machine in question. The marine environment is terrible corrosive for electronics. computers etc. used various much vaunted equipment over the years many failed to live up to expectations. Everything get encrusted in salt even yourself. its in air and if there is moisture in the air humidity that salty corrosive moisture coats everything.

When spend time at sea ya learn the chores being swabie as everything get encrusted.

Crow

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gidday Bart some exce
Yes...yes...now its plain to see my attraction !! All is true, and the more modern ruins are still an attraction to sailors, and adventurers!! I quickly dissolve into the bush, and have several spots that I prefer here.....everyone must take into account that not all the history here is accountable, and I believe the spanish had an attraction to the island. The English discovered it because the spanish had it marked, and watered here. They more than likely released livestock here....hence the islets named egg 🥚 island !! I have many sat photos going pretty far back, they show many ruins across all three islands, and egg islands show clear rock wall delineation between stock pens and plantations. The natural harbor is very defensible and should be considered. Pirates could have clearly defended this island fortress. The English inherited this island from the spanish, and would have continued to improve on earlier progress. Hence my lopez tobacco pipe find from early 1600s. I do believe the fancy would have anchored up close to deep water (for escape purpose) View attachment 2143266
The big red circle denote the entire Anchorage known as Meeks patch Anchorage. View attachment 2143267
I believe the fancy would have been here, and now you start to feel the vibe for where some crew might have went ashore if they did !! When you look on Google where there are some nice spots to land a long boat, it becomes apparent quite quickly!! Having been on the ground/ocean here its only possible to land on white sand if your not in the inner harbor.....most of the island is very rocky, and will destroy a boat in most conditions except becalmed.
Gidday Bart

I agree with most likely the correct area the Fancy anchored. Some excellent points you make! sailing a sailing ship with no engines is an entire different beast than power boat or even a sailboat with engines. Most mariners of day would try to find anchorages big enough to maneuver about usually and entry point and exit point. Even so setting anchor and knowing when to pull anchors was based on winds and tide. Make a wrong judgement.... Well the sea bed is full of wrong decisions amigo.

IMG_0825.jpeg

from my experience steering these suckers is like wrestling with a tiger. It looks like the easy job in fact its the hardest because it its constantly trying to rip your arms off. And you have to hold the line the sails are trimmed to. Tacking these things is like picking a fight with a grizzly. Everyone of crew had to be switched on when making a tack.

IMG_8351.jpeg

I have not doubt by the time the Fancy arrived in Bahamas she was probably only fit for firewood. Most likely time spent in the tropics she was being eaten away by ship worms.

Phoenix-full-sails.jpg

I have no doubt various crew had stashes with them. Some would of loved having a break on the island after a long time at sea. Some no doubt suffering scurvy and other diseases. Having a place recuperate after a long sea voyage. They may a hard tack going east to weest around Cape of good hope. Sailing against prevailing winds most of south Atlantic they would have to tack until they hit the trade winds towards Brazil then a few minor tacks through doldrums of tropics cross the equator then facing contrary Caribbean winds. perhaps pick up the part of gulf stream to the Bahamas.

Tall-Ship-Phoenix-cabin-3.jpg

At sea everything creaks rattle groan moans on these ships like a rock and roll concert. So fatigue pushes you into a stupor of half sleep half away. and everything pitches and rolls with the swell. Cape of good hope would be bad Roaring 40s sailing against the wind. But nothing compared to cape Horn.

Most of sailor slept in hammocks. in truth they actually better and the beds. In bad weather every can end up 30 degrees and it throws you sense of balance. That is why Sailor even stone cold sober swayed. I had it few times accused of being drunk and refused service of alcohol because of me swaying. it is strange sensation.

And strength when ya up in the rigging today we have safety harness. back in those days it was two hands and ya had strong as iron. Sick or weak crew who could not hold their body weight with two area. either fell to their deaths or drowning into the ocean.

Tall-Ship-Phoenix.jpg

So parking ship is not as easy as parking a car. In Royal island groups would go ashore in turn while the ship was anchored. Every would had sent others to see Trotter the Governor of providence. One just in case Governor Trotter was not corrupt and arrested him. Two, his ship was his life blood his defense and his escape from a hangman's noose.

These ships do not sail themselves they would need a crew of at least 20 for their long voyage. They are labour intensive. While at anchorage. I would hazard a guess five at a time going to shore then another five in the longboat five on station doing chores and on look out to raise any alarm. Five sleeping below decks. Then rotate.

The Fancy was in effect their get away car it always had to ready to make sail on a moments notice to save their skin.

So these shore parties of about five make camp wine dined perhaps gambled for found local women. A few hours at least 4- six hours. What's usually happens hours you on watch keeping revolving with each in cycle around the clock.

This location at Royal island provided an opportunity for sailors in turn to hide their caches if things went wrong in providence. How many hid them and recovered then is anyone's guess?

Still a very interest place to swing a detector
around.

Crow

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
I cannot comment on the machine in question. The marine environment is terrible corrosive for electronics. computers etc. used various much vaunted equipment over the years many failed to live up to expectations. Everything get encrusted in salt even yourself. its in air and if there is moisture in the air humidity that salty corrosive moisture coats everything.

When spend time at sea ya learn the chores being swabie as everything get encrusted.

Crow
Good morning Crow,
You are correct. The device is sensitive to temperatures, and probably certain levels of humidity. 😐
It may not last more than a weekend in bad conditions, and the device is expensive too. If the treasures are there, and within range, the device is able to read the signatures. 👌🥳
The treasure needs to be worth the risk of the health of the device. 👍🤓

The hard part is testing the device, as ionic fields take many years to be fully developed ….. which means the targets cannot have been recently moved around, causing disruption of the ionic field. 😕

Tossing an object into a dirt pile, then looking for it with ionic detection won’t work 🥸

Sincerely,
Idahodutch

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gidday Bart some exce

Gidday Bart

I agree with most likely the correct area the Fancy anchored. Some excellent points you make! sailing a sailing ship with no engines is an entire different beast than power boat or even a sailboat with engines. Most mariners of day would try to find anchorages big enough to maneuver about usually and entry point and exit point. Even so setting anchor and knowing when to pull anchors was based on winds and tide. Make a wrong judgement.... Well the sea bed is full of wrong decisions amigo.

View attachment 2143420

from my experience steering these suckers is like wrestling with a tiger. It looks like the easy job in fact its the hardest because it its constantly trying to rip your arms off. And you have to hold the line the sails are trimmed to. Tacking these things is like picking a fight with a grizzly. Everyone of crew had to be switched on when making a tack.

View attachment 2143421
I have not doubt by the time the Fancy arrived in Bahamas she was probably only fit for firewood. Most likely time spent in the tropics she was being eaten away by ship worms.

View attachment 2143422

I have no doubt various crew had stashes with them. Some would of loved having a break on the island after a long time at sea. Some no doubt suffering scurvy and other diseases. Having a place recuperate after a long sea voyage. They may a hard tack going east to weest around Cape of good hope. Sailing against prevailing winds most of south Atlantic they would have to tack until they hit the trade winds towards Brazil then a few minor tacks through doldrums of tropics cross the equator then facing contrary Caribbean winds. perhaps pick up the part of gulf stream to the Bahamas.

View attachment 2143430

At sea everything creaks rattle groan moans on these ships like a rock and roll concert. So fatigue pushes you into a stupor of half sleep half away. and everything pitches and rolls with the swell. Cape of good hope would be bad Roaring 40s sailing against the wind. But nothing compared to cape Horn.

Most of sailor slept in hammocks. in truth they actually better and the beds. In bad weather every can end up 30 degrees and it throws you sense of balance. That is why Sailor even stone cold sober swayed. I had it few times accused of being drunk and refused service of alcohol because of me swaying. it is strange sensation.

And strength when ya up in the rigging today we have safety harness. back in those days it was two hands and ya had strong as iron. Sick or weak crew who could not hold their body weight with two area. either fell to their deaths or drowning into the ocean.

View attachment 2143431

So parking ship is not as easy as parking a car. In Royal island groups would go ashore in turn while the ship was anchored. Every would had sent others to see Trotter the Governor of providence. One just in case Governor Trotter was not corrupt and arrested him. Two, his ship was his life blood his defense and his escape from a hangman's noose.

These ships do not sail themselves they would need a crew of at least 20 for their long voyage. They are labour intensive. While at anchorage. I would hazard a guess five at a time going to shore then another five in the longboat five on station doing chores and on look out to raise any alarm. Five sleeping below decks. Then rotate.

The Fancy was in effect their get away car it always had to ready to make sail on a moments notice to save their skin.

So these shore parties of about five make camp wine dined perhaps gambled for found local women. A few hours at least 4- six hours. What's usually happens hours you on watch keeping revolving with each in cycle around the clock.

This location at Royal island provided an opportunity for sailors in turn to hide their caches if things went wrong in providence. How many hid them and recovered then is anyone's guess?

Still a very interest place to swing a detector
around.

Crow
Everything becomes clear as a mariner, on just where a ship this size would have to be in order to anchor.....I believe it was March, the time of the most extreme low tides, and they had stopped in st. Thomas already. These guys were described as being English, but having such sun tans that they appeared to be very seasoned at this point....they were experts at this type of anchoring/mooring, and they more than likely had wine/rum from there stop at st. Thomas. I agree they would have come ashore in rotations (just like me today on yachts). Now it become how long were they moored there, and which beach did they come ashore at. Of coarse the water source was inshore of the protected harbor, so they would have rowed in here for sure, but I'd think they would carouse and drink/camp, on one of the more convenient beaches, closer to the Anchorage....also would be ideal for say caches of coins that could be quickly picked up, if retreat or escape from Nassau might be necessary....in the case of a welcome reception at Nassau these caches could be picked up at a later time.
Then there is the bribe ?? Did it go with in said trip to Nassau?? Was it brought in when the fancy arrived,?? And where did each man have his share when the fancy was given to Trott?? Did each man have his full share on him at Nassau, or would you just take a partial share to town.....maybe you buy a sloop, like the story says, and maybe you sail back to royal, and get the remaining loot, that could not have possibly been carried around by each crew member ?? Each guy would have had more than was feasible to tote with you everywhere all the time ?? Am I right ?? How much did each man's share actually weigh, and how would you carry all that on your person everyday?? Things look better for royal/egg island caches !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about the journey, and these speculations, and the actual hunt, and investigation of your theory is very satisfying....treasures of all sorts are normally found !! Is it always pirate gold....no.....but every now and then, a fisherman gets a bite. I chase all the treasures I can.....many are not what is typical.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you take a look at governor Jones, the man who gave Every protection in the bahamas....then we have a clearer picture of who was at royal island...pirates...every was well aware, of this hideaway from years before....wonder who might have taken some guns from Jones?? Every?? Who knows?? He was amongst politicians and pirates !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread