Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
In 2014, and archeologist with a metal detector picked up the first of the mysterious coins in a meadow on Aquidneck Island that was once the site of a colonial township.

"You never field-clean a coin, because you could damage it," he said. "I had to run to my car and get a big bottle of water… the mud came off, and I saw this Arabic script on the coin and I was amazed, because I knew exactly where it'd come from," he said. "I was aware that the American colonies had been bases of operation for piracy in the late 17th century."

Studies of the Arabic writing on the coin showed it had been minted in Yemen in southern Arabia in 1693, just a few years before the pirate attack on the Ganj-i-sawai. Another 13 have been found, mostly by metal detectorists, but the latest in 2018 by archaeologists in Connecticut; two Ottoman Turkish silver coins thought to be from the same hoard have also been unearthed in the region.

Bailey the discoverer has carefully studied each of the discoveries, while researching historical sources about the pirates who might have brought the coins to the Americas; and in 2017, some of his work was published in the Colonial Newsletter, a research journal published by the American Numismatic Society.

you can see pictures of his find below.

fmWZa3Usa3AFS26W2RrYiH-970-80.jpg

qv5aMSQkWrwUJYaN6vJghG-970-80.jpg
BUoqzaTWa8DgtAWzH6THrF-970-80.jpg

Crow

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning amigos.

Some of Every's treasure may of been found most likely a cache of one the pirates associate with him. Was found in new England.

View attachment 2141446
View attachment 2141447 View attachment 2141448

See link below

Coins found New England

My guess there will never be a massive treasure cache but host of small caches hidden around the world associated with Captain Every.

Crow
I viewed some on a TV show with Josh Gates about 6 months ago. They were muslim coins like those but I dont recall why they filmed there. My guess would be Lizard Point A.O... They found a silver one while filming and retrieve it from the ocean. I'll try and look the show up later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In the early 1970's along the unstable cliff near lizard point two young boys chasing a rabbit found 16 finger bars of crude cast gold. It was reported at the and the coroner desiccated it belong to boys.
yet there was challenged by the land owner at the time. I think they was worth 75000 dollars at the time.

1971 discovery.JPG

Manny associated the bars being connected to Every. closer examining of the gold showed the bars was much older actually from Gaul around the 5th century.

Regardless Bahamas, Cornwall,new England in searching for small cashes of Every's treasure may in due course help in discovering other unrelated treasure.

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
For breakfast Ole Crow?

7:20 PM here but monring where you're at I believe.

Or have you moved your achor?
I am back on the east coast of Australia facing the tax man awaiting a lobotomy with an electric cattle probe.

Apparently they want me to contribute for one of your submarines.:laughing7:

Crow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sep 14, 2023 Found it {Cornwall}: SHort clip of hour long show - On an expedition to find the lost treasure of the most successful pirate of all time, Henry Avery, Josh Gates goes diving off the coast of Cornwall and finds what remains of Avery’s loot.

Last edited:

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No submarines for me.... Scuba is all I'll do and 80ft is my limit. Any deeper and I leave it to the professionals.

Personally, I wont go into a submarine vehicle of any kind either.

Last edited:

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henry 'Long Ben' Every, English Pirate....

He changed his name to Benjamin Bridgeman and with leftovers of his crew, sailed to the Ireland supposedly never to be seen again.

Henry Every escaped and vanished into obscurity. There are no reliable contemporary accounts of his flag.

Makes me wonder... Could 'Benjamin Bridgeman' be his real name? Matching one of his early nicknames of: Long Ben?

I mean really, how hard would it have been to get/change your ID back then?

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we can vacation on ROYAL ISLAND then Bart!

Royal Island, a 430-acre private oasis, is located off the northern tip of Eleuthera.

It is surrounded by miles of breathtaking white-sand beaches and offers five intimate luxury beachfront villas, where you can enjoy picturesque ocean vistas and relax to the sound of swaying coconut trees.

It offers a perfect getaway for families or friends who are looking for a fully customized exotic Bahamian experience. Note that no smoking or parties are allowed.
Guests will fly into the North Eleuthera Airport, and be welcomed by Royal Island staff. The island is a 15-minute boat ride away, and their fabulous staff will cater to your every need.

I wonder if whom ever baugth this Island used Long Ben's Treasure(s)?

Yup....we sure could....ill be there in a few weeks !! I'll be at Spanish Wells fishing tuna, mahi, wahoo, and blue and white marlin !! When im not fishing im hunting !! We call it treasure island, and it's history is deep !! I've had permission, and many people walk the island...its a popular Anchorage, and most of the island is uninhabited. The resort was once owned by Roger Staubach of the Dallas cowboy fame. After it failed, and the golf course never got finished the resort became very small and private. There was another tragedy, and wealthy loyalist families were burned out and looted by American privateers in the war of 1812. The American privateer was tried in American Court for there brutalities here !! Gold was taken off the island by these American privateers, and 14 settlements were burned. Later in the 1920s another huge mansion was built on the island whose ruins are a popular tourist destination. There was also a loyalist encampment with a powder magazine and some fortification.....sheep were the main economy, and these signs of sheep runs are still visible in the form of long Rock walls !! Egg island was also used for sheep herding. Every had to have reliable contacts on this island who were in the same circle as the bermudians Every knew. He was favored by the previous governor, but had to know if this new governor would be sympathetic to him.....at this point if I was old long Ben I would have left a sum of money with my sympathetic and trusted friends on royal island before I sailed into Nassau....just as insurance.....maybe even a substantial amount !! Now.....where did those hatiens find those coins....supposedly?? Nobody ever said or wrote Every left or entrusted, or buried anything on Royal island.....im just trying to put myself in Every, brigeman, long ben, or whoever this guy really was, and wondering why he picked ROYAL island to stop at. At the time he came to Royal Island it had been occupied for 30+years !! He had to know just exactly who was there, and they probably all had dealings or family, or friends back in bermuda!! He spent his early career slaving under commission of the bermudian governor Isaac Richie just a handful of years earlier !! Royalist, loyalist, pretty close in definition!! They still love there Royal family here in the bahamas !!

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, the coded letter found by Dr Sean Kingsley and Rex Cowen proves to me he was talking in code and belong to a very special group. Spy for whom exactly? Royalist? Crow, can we define this group more? Very well thought out plan to support England and the group. I belive his identity as Henry Every was alias/fake set up by the group. Coded letter convinced me. Now are there more letters? Why was it found in Scottland? Scottland is in the North, connections?
Bart's theory is also tangible about possibilty being a Royalist(maybe this group). Very intriguing if so... Connection to Royal Island and what the Haitians found is plausible.

It's obvious to me his early life earn him the loyalty/trust of this group. Slave trading and secrecy earn him trust. His skills, travels, education, etc etc...

Then he just joind the English Navy? Gets fired after loosing a skirmish?

Makes you wonder how did he really get that info about the treasure ladden ship heading to Mecca?

I'll proceed by researching:
1) Benjamin Bridgeman
2) Coded Letter and Group & spy **
3) Royalist mentioned
4) Why Scottland?
5) Letter date was 4 yrs after he vaished!

Last edited:

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, the coded letter found by Dr Sean Kingsley and Rex Cowen proves to me he was talking in code and belong to a very special group. Spy for whom exactly? Royalist? Crow, can we define this group more? Very well thought out plan to support England and the group. I belive his identity as Henry Every was alias/fake set up by the group. Coded letter convinced me. Now are there more letters? Why was it found in Scottland? Scottland is in the North, connections?
Bart's theory is also tangible about possibilty being a Royalist(maybe this group). Very intriguing if so... Connection to Royal Island and what the Haitians found is plausible.

It's obvious to me his early life earn him the loyalty/trust of this group. Slave trading and secrecy earn him trust. His skills, travels, education, etc etc...

Then he just joind the English Navy? Gets fired after loosing a skirmish?

Makes you wonder how did he really get that info about the treasure ladden ship heading to Mecca?

I'll proceed by researching:
1) Benjamin Bridgeman
2) Coded Letter and Group & spy **
3) Royalist mentioned
4) Why Scottland?
So hard to prove when no one could say they saw these hatiens with the coins, but the islanders were in agreement that these hatiens got gold coins. Who knows ? But it sure got me researching the island, and what a love affair I have with that island !! Some great bottles, some great silver, and some great military buttons.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Falmouth is a town, civil parish and port on the River Fal on the south coast of Cornwall, England..

But did you know there is a Falmouth town in Barnstable County, Massachusetts, United States?

Falmouth was first settled by English colonists in 1660 and was officially incorporated in 1686. Bartholomew Gosnold named the settlement for Falmouth, Cornwall, England.

Falmouth.png

OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
So hard to prove when no one could say they saw these hatiens with the coins, but the islanders were in agreement that these hatiens got gold coins. Who knows ? But it sure got me researching the island, and what a love affair I have with that island !! Some great bottles, some great silver, and some great military buttons.
Well that story could be connected and not connected to Every?. There are numerous stories connected to the island and host of shipwrecks from other events.

For example there is story going back to 1944.

HUNT FOR MURDERED , MILLIONAIRE'S BURIED A
TREASURE

NEW YORK, Monday

Alfred de Marigny and his wife, Nancy, are reported to have conducted a treasure hunt on Eleuthera Island, in the Bahamas, after his acquittal on the charge of murdering his father-in-law, Sir Harry Oakes.

The Journal American, which publishes the story, claims that de Marigny found the hiding place of Sir Harry Oakes's treasure, estimated at $3,500,000 in, gold, but the treasure chest had been looted. He found natives wearing gold coins and chains as ornaments.

Oakes is believed to have buried the treasure to save it from heavy taxation.

Argus (Melbourne, Vic1848  1957 Tuesday 15 February 1944, page 12.jpg

Sound familiar?

Crow

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As for the site josh gates search with team of local divers Rob Stacy and Don Russell. pictures from Rob Stacy.

1689943412188.jpeg

1689943246956.jpeg

1689944537423.jpeg

As tantalizing as it is and totally fascinating. the coins are dated around the time of Avery. the but area was the subject of so many shipwrecks its hard to exactly pinpoint this alleged shipwreck connected to Avery/ Every.

My guess much of this currency was traded between various crew of ships being at the time in the far east? Another factor to consider was this coinage actually part of cache on shore washed out to see from erosion over the centuries?

Crow

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that story could be connected and not connected to Every?. There are numerous stories connected to the island and host of shipwrecks from other events.

For example there is story going back to 1944.

HUNT FOR MURDERED , MILLIONAIRE'S BURIED A
TREASURE

NEW YORK, Monday

Alfred de Marigny and his wife, Nancy, are reported to have conducted a treasure hunt on Eleuthera Island, in the Bahamas, after his acquittal on the charge of murdering his father-in-law, Sir Harry Oakes.

The Journal American, which publishes the story, claims that de Marigny found the hiding place of Sir Harry Oakes's treasure, estimated at $3,500,000 in, gold, but the treasure chest had been looted. He found natives wearing gold coins and chains as ornaments.

Oakes is believed to have buried the treasure to save it from heavy taxation.

View attachment 2141525
Sound familiar?

Crow
Well....to be technical, many separate keys cays and rocks are lumped in with the name eluthera. Royal island is actually just one in a chain, that connects to the devils Backbone, with a chain of small islands that stretch from little egg island, all the way to harbor island. Once you cross the south cut at harbor island, you cross over to eluthera proper !! Royal Island might as well be another world compared to spanish wells, eluthera, and Russell Island.

I think many people neglect to study the political leanings of pirates, and prefer to focus on everything else about them. Once the political leanings of a particular pirate are understood, many things fall into line, and other possibilities can be absolutely ruled out. Understanding the local history of the bahamas is difficult at best, and much of it has to be searched out. The elutheran adventures were a breakaway faction of bermuda, due to religious, and political views. After landing at eluthera, there were further breaks and splits from the group. Some stayed on eluthera ( the criminal types) some went to spanish wells (the religious zealots) and another faction settled Royal Island (royalist supporters of england) unfortunately the history of Royal Island is vague and spotty compared to spanish wells and harbor island. All of these folks were bermudian wreckers, farmers, and pirates !! It is almost an impossible prospect to say that the fancy anchored at Royal Island and that no one left the ship, or interacted with factions ashore....its impossible !! They came ashore, they traded, they gambled, and they awaited entrance to Nassau. Studying the coarse from Royal Island to Nassau its safe to say these pirates probably came ashore somewhere to rest during there row to Nassau. A long line of small rocks and cays stretches the entire 50 miles !! When we look at Every in his long Ben days, it's plain to see he was familiar with, and had arrangements made with factions of bermudian settlers in the bahamas !! There was more to the man than folks want to admit......ex English navy spy on board a spanish privateer ?? That's spy work, and I'd wager the spanish and English were after the French at this time !! So he stops with royalist sympathizers, and it's decided to go to Nassau and leave the fancy there for trott.....those guns ended up defending Nassau harbor and it was the fre ch who were threatening Nassau. There's alot going on here under the guise of piracy ?!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'll show you where the fancy is....there's a big pirate project going on in Nassau harbor right now to collect artifacts and history of the Golden age of piracy. Dr pateman (who has a profile here at t-net) is involved.....the question is where is all the pirate evidence.....well most of it is dredged and carried off for the cruise ship Chanel. But the description of the fancy blown ashore at the entrance to the harbor and visible for many years after lying on the tip of hog island. They are searching for the fancy also.....so here we go.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20240405_094952_Google Earth.jpg

Screenshot_20240405_095109_Google Earth.jpg

The fancy lies right here....you can see the ship channel dredging just missed it. While everyone is at Atlantis hunting fresh drops and I phones, I'm in a kyak getting onion bottles, cob coins, and yup....snorkeling this crazy ass scary as shit spot. Had to see if evidence of the fancy is there.....like I said before....there an ancient sailing ships wreckage there mixed in with modern debri....I think it truly is bits of the fancy for my own reasons, and anyone else can go check too.....I have my reason for believing....ill keep that to myself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread