IN SEARCH OF THE AUTHENTIC ORIGIN OF THE BEALE TREASURE STORY

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks ECS and Reb...I looked it up after franklin said what it was last night.

Strange story but lots of sightings... Anything is possible.

I was enjoying reading that page about Lynchburg until I got to Mags the Cat.. Now I can't get that out of my brain.
How does that even happen? I really wish I hadn't seen or read that...I don't know if there's even enough Apple Pie to erase that image or story! Ugh. So Sad.

I hope someone tells me that was photoshopped and made up. I'm afraid to research it...

Kace
Photo-shopped...

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Nah, D.L. was a funny & "wacky" guy, a pranker at work (N & A). STILL joking after his stroke; Gail is good support for him.

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny you should say that!

Not really, but what is funny is one who continues to post threads claiming a certain person is the ONLY ONE to correctly solve the Beale Ciphers when many times has stated he had never seen the deciphered message.
Hilarious! :laughing7:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Ok I admit it took me a minute before realizing most or all? of those "legends" are satire !
Gonna "explain" a little about D.L. (author); as a reporter for N & A, he learned many unusual legends from local ppl, which he saved for possible use, later. Then it was EASY to get "pics" of the Coffee Cup Restaurant "on" Rt. 460/Timberlake "by-Pass"; even been there, myself. Was Elvis there...? NOT likely; if they had "E"'s "pic" on their wall, JUST FANS... heh. Some "pics" were "altered"/photo-shopped. Gotta take EACH story & MAYBE I can "break it down". I WILL say this, D.L. had FUN doing this article & YES, some ppl DID take it seriously, HA!

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
By Robert Morriss giving away by Deed all of his furniture and items to keep house in the 1850's to his niece and sister of Anzoletta. Also his wife, Sarah dying at the home of James Beverly Ward in 1861 makes me believe that both were convalescent and unable to care for each other especially Robert Morriss.
All the years that Robert Morriss stayed at his nieces home of Anzoletta there is no one saying anything about meeting Robert Morriss or of him ever saying anything to anyone. RM could have had an early stroke before his wife's death. He may have not been able to talk, do or say anything at all.
That may be the reason that James Beverly Ward had to make the arrangements for her funeral and pay for the funeral himself. Also Robert Morriss left no Will, rich as he was he had no possessions and while staying at Anzoletta's home, according to court documents she and her family were poor during the Civil War.
If Robert Morriss had so much and had a story of treasure to tell surely he would have told his loving niece, Anzoletta...

Also James Beverly Ward lost Hunter's Hill Plantation in 1870 over debts he owed totaling over eight thousand dollars. All of his lands, his two saw mills, slaves, furniture and farm equipment was not enough to compensate for the amount owed.
He needed money as he and his family were staying with his daughter at her home in Lynchburg. JBW was a surveyor after that to make a living.
He most likely felt he could write a good treasure story.
James Beverly Ward had the Thomas Beale name from memory of his grandfathers duel with Beale concerning Julia Hancock, who married William Clark of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.
Ward's wife Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward, was related to Sarah Mitchell Morris, wife of Robert Morris, she was born and raised "4 miles from Bufords" who she was also related, and she and her husband spent time in St Louis, as well as Ward Hutter and Kennerly cousins.
...and during the Confederate War, Ward and his Hutter cousins employed codes and ciphers while serving the Cause.
James Beverly Ward possessed all the "raw" material from his and his extended family experiences to "write a good treasure story".

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
James Beverly Ward had the Thomas Beale name from memory of his grandfathers duel with Beale concerning Julia Hancock, who married William Clark of the Lewis & Clark Expedition.
Ward's wife Harriet Emmaline Otey Ward, was related to Sarah Mitchell Morris, wife of Robert Morris, she was born and raised "4 miles from Bufords" who she was also related, and she and her husband spent time in St Louis, as well as Ward Hutter and Kennerly cousins.
...and during the Confederate War, Ward and his Hutter cousins employed codes and ciphers while serving the Cause.
James Beverly Ward possessed all the "raw" material from his and his extended family experiences to "write a good treasure story".
Documented "source" of that info. please...

OP
OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
All that information has been documented many times over on these Beale threads by others beside me.
Plus that basic "all in the Risqué extended family bloodline" information is easily researched.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was moved from where the Old Smyrna Schoolhouse which was located near the Dooley Farm. The Smyrna Schoolhouse became a Church, then they moved it. I do not know if it was due to fire or not. I believe it was there before the Civil War. I will have to look at my maps by General Jeremy Gilmer to make sure. I have searched every square foot around there with a metal detector. A big waste of about four years as the metal detector was only detecting inches and I need six feet. I also dug just under the hill there for the Beale Treasure for the Discovery Channel, "Arthur C. Clark's Mysterious Universe." On Jimmy Lucks Farm, at least he owned the property then, it has since been sold and the last I heard he was staying with his daughter. The G.P. Luck old homesite is just South of the Walnut Grove Church along with the family cemetery. I believe it is on the Civil War Maps.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Church is sited on a multi intersection of roads like spokes on a wheel.
Former roads too near it.

Curious as to what existed before the Church ,as in if so many roads intersected there prior.

One Peppiatt mentioned a caldera near there too. One of those old roads ends right near it S.W. of the Church.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Church is sited on a multi intersection of roads like spokes on a wheel.
Former roads too near it.

Curious as to what existed before the Church ,as in if so many roads intersected there prior.

One Peppiatt mentioned a caldera near there too. One of those old roads ends right near it S.W. of the Church.
Well, the OLD location of the WGC did... NOT the "new" location. OLD location was right by GOOSE CREEK, North of Buford's/Montvale in UPPER GOOSE CREEK VALLEY.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the OLD location of the WGC did... NOT the "new" location. OLD location was right by GOOSE CREEK, North of Buford's/Montvale in UPPER GOOSE CREEK VALLEY.

Right. I should not have written "is" . Old map is where old site shows the mentioned roads...

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread