jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be used to posting in the coin roll hunting section. Most posts never go over a page. I see your post got 19 responses and multiple people responded. Not sure what you are complaining about?

General question to everyone, do you get anything special for anything banner find? Or is it just bragging rights?

just bragging rights & that Little ribbon on your profile

1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vince, sorry that you are feeling that way. I hope you stay around, I know I will miss your posts and your personality.

I love this forum for multiple reasons:

1. I learn something new about this hobby daily from reading posts.

2. I find it a friendly place to meet others who have the same interests.

3. I enjoy seeing what others have found.

I am lucky to have gotten a banner, but it is not why I hunt or post my finds. Of course being noticed for a great find does feel good, especially since you are nominated by your peers. I am sorry that the world is not always fair and that yes us Yanks do place more emphasis on our own coinage. Just think you are in an area where 1000 year old coins are not as rare of a find as some coins minted in the United States.

I love your videos, and am awed by how well you photograph and post your finds. :notworthy:

I will still consider you a good friend whether you stay or go. :thumbsup:

Now pick yourself back up and go find something amazing that will knock our sock off!!!!:headbang:

Hi Bro,

I'm not going anywhere. It was just the title not a goodbye message. I love this forum too since the first day i sign in :laughing7:
I've learned a lot in the forum.
Once i found some old coins and after we discussed about the iron sounds i turned back in that area. That day i came back home with 8 old coins and three very old pendants.
I will be active and bring other findings for sure.
:thumbsup:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
see that's where I disagree.

Though I would like to find one.

If the coin is Bent, chipped, or rotted it is Not Banner worthy imo

You have to consider the coin. Many tree shillings are bent because they are very thin. Holing was common back then, so that's another flaw you frequently see. And shaving silver coins was the norm in those days, so that's another issue with these coins.

Not making banner because of the condition of a 364 year old coin (that was never meant to be taken care of in the first place) seems a little too strict of a banner requirement to me.

OP
OP
vince76

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must be used to posting in the coin roll hunting section. Most posts never go over a page. I see your post got 19 responses and multiple people responded. Not sure what you are complaining about?

General question to everyone, do you get anything special for having a banner find? Or is it just bragging rights?

Imagine you are sitting with your friends and talking about your adventures. You are talking about yours but the others are still loughing with the story that one of you told before. How would it feel like? Than i agree with SS, jut go with the flow.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why go to that much trouble? There have been others in the past with completely fake "finds" make it to the banner wall. :laughing7:

They have been very few and far between...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to consider the coin. Many tree shillings are bent because they are very thin. Holing was common back then, so that's another flaw you frequently see. And shaving silver coins was the norm in those days, so that's another issue with these coins.

Not making banner because of the condition of a 364 year old coin (that was never meant to be taken care of in the first place) seems a little too strict of a banner requirement to me.

When I say "bent" I mean bent like a Taco Shell . Maybe a $20 or $50 Gold Piece because of Gold Value.

But a Silver Coin Bent like a Taco Shell has no eye appeal to me

take 2 Pliers or a Hammer & Straighten it out for %^^&* Sake ! :laughing7:

I used a hammer on a Bust Half once ! & don't regret it.
It would have sold for Silver Content Bent & Hiding the Date

[disclaimer: the half wasn't bent like a Taco, just like it was hit by a plow or ?
Just saying a bent coin is worth less unless it's hammered one way or another ]

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have been very few and far between...

And those people caught faking can no longer post or join in the discussion any ever again.The banner now has finds from all over the world.Jeff of Pa does a good job with a very hard job. I would not want to make it any harder on him then it already is....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And those people caught faking can no longer post or join in the discussion any ever again.The banner now has finds from all over the world.Jeff of Pa does a good job with a very hard job. I would not want to make it any harder on him then it already is....
Times 2.....

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take 2 Pliers or a Hammer & Straighten it out for %^^&* Sake !

I straighten out my bent coins by placing them in a vise! Don't know if I'd have the guts to do that with a tree shilling, though!

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I straighten out my bent coins by placing them in a vise! Don't know if I'd have the guts to do that with a tree shilling, though!
It would almost certainly snap in two, hammered coins need to be annealed before straightening.

SS

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And those people caught faking can no longer post or join in the discussion any ever again..... And are we about to see another one go the same way...Hmmm, it's a shame people have to do silly things like this, there are a lot of knowledgable people on this forum.

SS

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would almost certainly snap in two, hammered coins need to be annealed before straightening

Okay, I'll hit it with my propane torch before I squish it in my vise! LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread