Inconsiderate dumpers ruining the hobby for everyone?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some quotes from recent posts...

"$10 grand + That machine is there for you to use... let em have it"

"YES! I agree. I would back up a dumptruck full of coins if i had one. If they dont like it they should get rid of the machine. My area does not even have these machines. All of my coin has to be re-rolled for deposit. I routinely carry in two canvas bags full of rolled halves ($4000) and never have had an issue. IT IS THEIR JOB TO DEAL WITH CURRENCY OF ALL TYPES!"

"I agree, my first few dumps were at TD and I filled the bag 15 times I'm actually probably going to try and run at least $5,000 through it soon because I'm thinking if closing my account."

And then you see things like this:
image-24328937.jpg

"Today PNC told me and my wife that they can no longer order us halves due to someone buying and dumping way to much in the area."

"When I was first told about the new policy of charging 5 dollars per box, I assumed it was just for me because of the amount that I had been getting, 2-3 boxes a week of halves and 2 of dimes and nickels. I was just at another branch today where I had gotten a box of nickels last week and thought they might be OK but, she just told me the same thing. They are only supposed to keep enough coins for what they need and anyone wanting coins must pay a fee per box. I guess some people who can't add or spell might think this is a good thing but when you figure in the amount of skunks on top of gas and other expenses with dumping this is a hobby killer at least at Regions for me. Can't blame the banks when so many people are pushing the limits until the banks are losing money. The vault tellers were telling me they were sorry and that they would still give me CWR but that word had come down from higher up. I know there are a lot of other banks to try but I also know that Regions was a good thing for me that is gone now."

CAUSE AND EFFECT FELLAS

Upvote 0

rckymtn

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, that as more CRH's go to high volume hunting, this result is inevitable and hurts everyone involved downstream.

What is ironic is seeing that high volume work doesn't necessarily pay off in high volume rewards. In fact, a good argument can be made that returns eventually go down, as you end up re-working the same coins over and over.

I would not be surprised if everyone CRH'd in moderation, that returns would go up for all, without breaking the system along the way.

jshane7422

Feb 5, 2013
Thurmont, MD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seen so many of the comments >_< makes me sad. I been doing 1 box of nicks 1 box of dimes and 1 box of pennies a week so I don't miss my credit union off. I wanna keep my free coin counter

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it silver let it mellow, if its clad flush it down the coin counter. HH

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.. I am going to post the same thing I posted the last time you started a thread about people dumping.. Only this time I will put it in a nutshell.. Inconsiderate dumpers are inevitable.. So.................................

darwin.jpg

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.. I am going to post the same thing I posted the last time you started a thread about people dumping.. Only this time I will put it in a nutshell.. Inconsiderate dumpers are inevitable.. So.................................

View attachment 762673

Sure - change is inevitable, but the changes upthread are very alarming and could put all of us out of "business."

I have one other thread about dumping - my rant about the infamous Mr 10 in my area, this thread is nothing like that one.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regardless.... I have run into numerous volume hunters who have never even heard of this site and I live in a fairly small area.. With the amount of hunters that exist, it is not going to change.. So once again.. Adapt..

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
yea, i got kicked out a dump bank 1 mile away from my home because someone had the nerve to order over 5k in quarters and dump it in the SAME bank several times a week. NO ONE dumps there anymore as the manager told me.

Now i have to travel 5 miles just to dump and 2 miles to pick up

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea, i got kicked out a dump bank 1 mile away from my home because someone had the nerve to order over 5k in quarters and dump it in the SAME bank several times a week. NO ONE dumps there anymore as the manager told me.

Now i have to travel 5 miles just to dump and 2 miles to pick up

That really sucks, sorry dude. Addicted says "ADAPT" but IMO there is no adapting to $5 per box charges and 5% dump fees or even worse - everyone getting cut off if that is the way banks are trending....

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really sucks, sorry dude. Addicted says "ADAPT" but IMO there is no adapting to $5 per box charges and 5% dump fees or even worse - everyone getting cut off if that is the way banks are trending....

Actually there is.. Drive farther, pay the fees and try different banks.. There ya go.. Simple adaptation..

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large quantities is relative, i wonder what that bank considers large

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
The sad part is that the worst offenders are the ones who cry the loudest if anything like what they do was ever done to them. The old do unto others as you would want done unto yourself goes right out the window when people are overcome by greed, if they were ever able to care about anyone but themselves.

A big part of a Bank Teller's job is to be nice to the customers so just because they aren't stopping you before you get out of the door doesn't mean that whatever you are doing is OK. I couldn't imagine making the poor old women and young ladies that help me with 1 or 2 boxes lug around 8 or 10 boxes at a time or 10-15 coin-lock bags and somehow make that OK in my mind.

Just because someone says, "It's all good," or "They don't care at all," on here does not mean that that is the truth. One problem with people who lie is that they can and usually do begin to lie to themselves until what they want to believe to be the truth becomes the truth to them. Most of them wouldn't know the truth unless it came up and bit them or told them that the Bank was closing their account because.

Like everyone says, everyone can do what ever amount they want and no one can tell anyone else what that amount should be, except the Bank. The Banks will have the final word, not the nice Bank Tellers but the pencil pushers higher up who look at things like the amount of coins ordered and shipped out. No one is getting away with anything or pulling the wool over the eyes of the people who are in charge of making sure that the Banks are making money. In the end, it will be a shame if a few people abusing the system ruin a good thing and a nice little hobby for everyone.

Now go out there and grab that last roll before it's gone.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually there is.. Drive farther, pay the fees and try different banks.. There ya go.. Simple adaptation..

Im not looking for an argument here. I agree with you on the need to adapt. Your point is noted.

Now as to MY point, driving farther, paying fees for boxes, paying to dump, using more gas etc. for the meager amount of AG out there is not in the cards for most of us. The point of the entire thread is to bring awareness to what is happening to our hobby and maybe just maybe prevent it from happening.

Maybe that is what some on here want, less hunters, "survival of the fittest." I have been collecting coins and crhing for a long time. I will be one of the survicors, but I dont want to be left with a landscape that is so financially draining that it takes the fun away from the hobby.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was brought up already but the further driving and fees are only one small problem, yes you can adapt to them if you want to continue this hobby at the price but the BIG problem is being cut off all together- which it sounds like some banks are already doing- and the fewer banks there are to pick up a drop that then will mean those banks will be getting hit more and more and most likely follow suit-

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been CRH for years and using the same banks the whole time. I also know that I am not the only one doing this at the same locations. These banks have been ordering LARGE quatities and getting LARGE dumps for years. I have never heard a whisper about any of this being a problem, even when I specifically ask if these actions are ok. The banks I deal with are both national and local credit unions, neither see a problem with CRH. In my immediate area, free coin counting machines are non-existant already so I have no sympathy for folks that may not have them in the future. LOL. I re-roll EVERYTHING myself and take it to the bank that way. Funny how different regions of the country are so different when it comes to this type of stuff.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I dump, I always offer the teller(if it is a woman) to carry the coin bags to the edge of the vault for them to save them the heavy lifting, I think it is common curteousy. Nobody takes me up on the offer(probrably for security reasons?), however, last time I dumped, the one teller took me up on the offer, I was more than glad to help her out, and she was thankful I helped.

I am always considerate when dumping, I WILL NOT dump more than I can carry into the bank and refuse to use a dolly, wagon, backpack, dumptruck, or another person to help me with my dumps... same for pickups, I stick with the "as much as I can carry" method.
HH

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I dump, I always offer the teller(if it is a woman) to carry the coin bags to the edge of the vault for them to save them the heavy lifting, I think it is common curteousy. Nobody takes me up on the offer(probrably for security reasons?), however, last time I dumped, the one teller took me up on the offer, I was more than glad to help her out, and she was thankful I helped.

I am always considerate when dumping, I WILL NOT dump more than I can carry into the bank and refuse to use a dolly, wagon, backpack, dumptruck, or another person to help me with my dumps... same for pickups, I stick with the "as much as I can carry" method.
HH

I think that is a great rule of thumb. I have basically been using the same method now that I think about it - although I think I do it more out of lazyness :P. I use a 5 gallon bucket and when it gets to about 1/3 full I know I have about $800-$100 and I know that much more I wont be able to lift it and I will be over that 1-2 bag change threshold. I also dont pick up more than 3 boxes of halves at a time - that is all I can carry to my car in one trip and manage to get the car door open by myself (and not potentially throw out my back!).

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

HH

I agree with everything bb said. I want to help the tellers with lifting but they usually decline. I also use the only what I can carry in in one trip philosophy. Problem is, I can carry far more then they want me to. Lol. And as has been mentioned in this thread, adapting is the key. HH

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HH

Im with ya there. I can easily carry $5000 in halves in two canvas bags, so i do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread