Inconsiderate dumpers ruining the hobby for everyone?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some quotes from recent posts...

"$10 grand + That machine is there for you to use... let em have it"

"YES! I agree. I would back up a dumptruck full of coins if i had one. If they dont like it they should get rid of the machine. My area does not even have these machines. All of my coin has to be re-rolled for deposit. I routinely carry in two canvas bags full of rolled halves ($4000) and never have had an issue. IT IS THEIR JOB TO DEAL WITH CURRENCY OF ALL TYPES!"

"I agree, my first few dumps were at TD and I filled the bag 15 times I'm actually probably going to try and run at least $5,000 through it soon because I'm thinking if closing my account."

And then you see things like this:
image-24328937.jpg

"Today PNC told me and my wife that they can no longer order us halves due to someone buying and dumping way to much in the area."

"When I was first told about the new policy of charging 5 dollars per box, I assumed it was just for me because of the amount that I had been getting, 2-3 boxes a week of halves and 2 of dimes and nickels. I was just at another branch today where I had gotten a box of nickels last week and thought they might be OK but, she just told me the same thing. They are only supposed to keep enough coins for what they need and anyone wanting coins must pay a fee per box. I guess some people who can't add or spell might think this is a good thing but when you figure in the amount of skunks on top of gas and other expenses with dumping this is a hobby killer at least at Regions for me. Can't blame the banks when so many people are pushing the limits until the banks are losing money. The vault tellers were telling me they were sorry and that they would still give me CWR but that word had come down from higher up. I know there are a lot of other banks to try but I also know that Regions was a good thing for me that is gone now."

CAUSE AND EFFECT FELLAS

Upvote 0

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Inconsiderate" dumpers might get you cut off. So might a "considerate" dumper. I once got cut off over dumping $500 per week for about 8 weeks. I had gotten the manager's approval before dumping the first coin. Was I being inconsiderate? At the time I was the only CRHer using that coin machine, but I assume I "ruined" it for any that might have followed me. Again, was I inconsiderate?

What is likely to get you cut off, is an influx of new CRHers. Even if they only order/dump 1 or 2 boxes each per week on your bank, the cumulative effect on a particular bank is no different than a large volume hunter. Talking about CRHing, even on this forum, cannot possibly help. Its not going to scare anyone away from attempting the hobby (that wouldn't have quickly lost interest anyway), but it sure can add new hunters to the hobby. This very forum is responsible for me being a CRHer, and I assume I'm not the only one. Complaining about high volume hunters while openly discussing all the silver you find and other CRH related subjects in an open public internet forum - thereby bringing in new people to the hobby - is "the pot calling the kettle black" IMO.

What I'm trying to say is that while every bank is different, they all have a "breaking point". At many banks, due to a woeful economy, stricter lending policies, and low interest rates this breaking point is MUCH lower than it used to be. For the most part, banks aren't raking in the cash like they used to and are now looking at ways to recoup some of that lost cash. Cutting expenses and instituting more "nickel and dime" fees is a way to do this, and there is no more a "needless" expense than ordering/taking in dumped coin from CRHers. There is a certain amount of ordered and dumped coin at each bank that will cause that bank to shut down the CRHers and/or institute a fee. A high volume hunter might just get one of the banks you use for CRH to cut you off. So might a few very "considerate" small timers. That very "considerate" $100 in halves you just dumped might tip a certain bank past its breaking point.

For that matter, just what do I as a CRHer owe my fellow CRHers? Who gets to decide this and why? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but thats all it is...an opinion. I enjoy this hobby and this forum. I have "met" people on this forum that I now consider personal friends. Not to purposely sound rude, but I don't believe I "owe" anyone on this forum or any other CRHer a dang thing. I have a very limited number of dump banks. Therefore the most I'll search and dump is 2-4 boxes per week as well as any coins I find on an occasional road trip. Through trial-and-error, this is the amount I am comfortable with. So far, I know I can do that much volume without it being a problem. However, if I thought I could get away with 50-100 boxes a week for 6 months+ before getting cut off (thereby effectively doing years' worth of hunting in a short time), I'd order the boxes TODAY. If that got me, you, and other CRHers cut off, well...tough. If that makes me "greedy", then I'll just have to be comfortable being greedy. This is a greedy hobby. We want that silver coin in the teller's tray - even if she's saving it for her grandchild. Some people will even go so far as to complain to her boss if she doesn't want to part with it. Thats greed. We don't like it when new hunters hit "our" banks. Those banks are no more "ours" than theirs. Thats greed. If I walk into my LCS today and he has 100 ASE's on sale for $10 each, am I being greedy by buying them all? Maybe, but should I really only buy a few and save the others for my fellow collectors? Would you? Of course not.

You have to be a bit greedy in this hobby. Its a greedy hobby. We're trying to get the silver - all the silver - before someone else does. Thats the definition of greed. Nowhere ever on this forum have I seen someone say something like, "I found a few soild rolls of silver today. I dumped half of it into a coin counter so that my fellow CRHers could find some as well." I want all the silver I can get while I can still get it. There very well may come a day when CRH is no longer a feasible activity. While I would never do anything intentionally to get other CRHers cut off, if my normal CRH activities end up doing just that, well...tough.

:occasion14:

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
As you said everyone has an opinion and they are welcome to share them. I personally don't consider this a greedy hobby. This is a journey to look around and discover. Going from bank to bank, credit union to credit union, searching for that elusive shine. For me, if I find it, cool but I am NOT going to snatch a silver coin some woman is saving for a grandson or daughter. That hits my hard limit for me. Letting someone enjoy the hunt and the silver shine once in a while is not going to hunt my piggy bank. Nor is teaching some child or teenager about coins and silver going to wreck my fun at sniffing out the silver. Looking, learning and teaching is what makes this hobby fun for me and yes its a hobby. If the banks won't give me coin or the credit unions give me the stink eye, there are always the grocery stores, the malls and hundreds of other places that I can hunt at. For all the silver hunters and CRHers I wish ya luck and many wicked finds in the coming weeks.

Sincerely, Garoulady

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I dont think I agree with the whole "greed" thought. Do I want to find silver? Of course. You know how many times I have been dumping coin and saved a shiney or gold plated half for some little rugrat running around the penny arcade? Metal detecting, fishing, stamp collecting - I dont see a big difference as far as greed is concerned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread