Inconsiderate dumpers ruining the hobby for everyone?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some quotes from recent posts...

"$10 grand + That machine is there for you to use... let em have it"

"YES! I agree. I would back up a dumptruck full of coins if i had one. If they dont like it they should get rid of the machine. My area does not even have these machines. All of my coin has to be re-rolled for deposit. I routinely carry in two canvas bags full of rolled halves ($4000) and never have had an issue. IT IS THEIR JOB TO DEAL WITH CURRENCY OF ALL TYPES!"

"I agree, my first few dumps were at TD and I filled the bag 15 times I'm actually probably going to try and run at least $5,000 through it soon because I'm thinking if closing my account."

And then you see things like this:
image-24328937.jpg

"Today PNC told me and my wife that they can no longer order us halves due to someone buying and dumping way to much in the area."

"When I was first told about the new policy of charging 5 dollars per box, I assumed it was just for me because of the amount that I had been getting, 2-3 boxes a week of halves and 2 of dimes and nickels. I was just at another branch today where I had gotten a box of nickels last week and thought they might be OK but, she just told me the same thing. They are only supposed to keep enough coins for what they need and anyone wanting coins must pay a fee per box. I guess some people who can't add or spell might think this is a good thing but when you figure in the amount of skunks on top of gas and other expenses with dumping this is a hobby killer at least at Regions for me. Can't blame the banks when so many people are pushing the limits until the banks are losing money. The vault tellers were telling me they were sorry and that they would still give me CWR but that word had come down from higher up. I know there are a lot of other banks to try but I also know that Regions was a good thing for me that is gone now."

CAUSE AND EFFECT FELLAS

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I dump, I always offer the teller(if it is a woman) to carry the coin bags to the edge of the vault for them to save them the heavy lifting, I think it is common curteousy. Nobody takes me up on the offer(probrably for security reasons?), however, last time I dumped, the one teller took me up on the offer, I was more than glad to help her out, and she was thankful I helped.

I am always considerate when dumping, I WILL NOT dump more than I can carry into the bank and refuse to use a dolly, wagon, backpack, dumptruck, or another person to help me with my dumps... same for pickups, I stick with the "as much as I can carry" method.
HH

Im with you there... I try to only do what I can carry at once, but lately its become, 2 trips is the max! lol

But I am always considerate with helping the tellers as much as possible...

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ski is falling go big or go home. Banks in my area have been trying to cut back for awhile so what! That's not going to slow me down. I will pay if I have to and am sure the boxes will much better.Do I want to pay no way but I will.And I have to say its not just a hobby for me I WANT the oz . I found 921oz last year that's a great part time job.Am in this for the long haul 10 years. The banks are charging all actts that order change. It sounds like we should get all we can be for they start charging.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ski is falling go big or go home. Banks in my area have been trying to cut back for awhile so what! That's not going to slow me down. I will pay if I have to and am sure the boxes will much better.Do I want to pay no way but I will.And I have to say its not just a hobby for me I WANT the oz . I found 921oz last year that's a great part time job.Am in this for the long haul 10 years. The banks are charging all actts that order change. It sounds like we should get all we can be for they start charging.

Man I wish I could go big but as of now I only have about $800 disposable to me- I see some you getting 2-5k in halves and wish I had that kind of mullah to hunt with- ill just keep plugging away small time and enjoy getting my silver for basically free- HH

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been normally doing dimes since they are easier for me to carry in and dump. Not to mention when I order dimes, they have been in the clear tubes which saves on dumping fees for me. I have only one sure fire dumping bank that doesn't charge me fees and I only go there once a month if I can help it. With all this medical junk going on I forgot to order my nickels. I am hopeing tomorrow I can pick up a box of nickels at one of the banks or credit unions we pass on our way to getting my mom's widow's benefits and everything else. But I have been seeing signs of people doing massive dumps. One guy was stocking up on dimes at a bank that I go to. I watched him for a while, waiting for a teller and he gave me the stink eye. I gave him a broad smile and asked the teller that was helping me if she had a box of nickels and dimes. She said yes to the nickels but after talking to the vault manager said no for the dimes. I told her that was ok. I got the box and thanked her.

sincerely, Garoulady

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Inconsiderate dumpers" is an oxymoron. Dumping large amounts of coin on a bank is inherently inconsiderate. The attitude you have with those you deal with - being friendly and appreciative is what makes the difference. Volume is relative. To some banks, 3 rolls of pennies (ya I said that word) are too many. To others a red wagon loaded with $10k in halves is just fine. Find out what the sweet spot is and ride it like a wild rocking horse!

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well put badbluff! 100% correct.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reality check people..... Someone's Dump Bank may be someones' "Pump up my free Silver Bank". "My" this.... "my" that.... It's a Dawg eat Dawg world out there.....

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank has a bathroom, so on some days I hit them with a double whammy! :thumbsup:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Inconsiderate" dumpers might get you cut off. So might a "considerate" dumper. I once got cut off over dumping $500 per week for about 8 weeks. I had gotten the manager's approval before dumping the first coin. Was I being inconsiderate? At the time I was the only CRHer using that coin machine, but I assume I "ruined" it for any that might have followed me. Again, was I inconsiderate?

What is likely to get you cut off, is an influx of new CRHers. Even if they only order/dump 1 or 2 boxes each per week on your bank, the cumulative effect on a particular bank is no different than a large volume hunter. Talking about CRHing, even on this forum, cannot possibly help. Its not going to scare anyone away from attempting the hobby (that wouldn't have quickly lost interest anyway), but it sure can add new hunters to the hobby. This very forum is responsible for me being a CRHer, and I assume I'm not the only one. Complaining about high volume hunters while openly discussing all the silver you find and other CRH related subjects in an open public internet forum - thereby bringing in new people to the hobby - is "the pot calling the kettle black" IMO.

What I'm trying to say is that while every bank is different, they all have a "breaking point". At many banks, due to a woeful economy, stricter lending policies, and low interest rates this breaking point is MUCH lower than it used to be. For the most part, banks aren't raking in the cash like they used to and are now looking at ways to recoup some of that lost cash. Cutting expenses and instituting more "nickel and dime" fees is a way to do this, and there is no more a "needless" expense than ordering/taking in dumped coin from CRHers. There is a certain amount of ordered and dumped coin at each bank that will cause that bank to shut down the CRHers and/or institute a fee. A high volume hunter might just get one of the banks you use for CRH to cut you off. So might a few very "considerate" small timers. That very "considerate" $100 in halves you just dumped might tip a certain bank past its breaking point.

For that matter, just what do I as a CRHer owe my fellow CRHers? Who gets to decide this and why? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but thats all it is...an opinion. I enjoy this hobby and this forum. I have "met" people on this forum that I now consider personal friends. Not to purposely sound rude, but I don't believe I "owe" anyone on this forum or any other CRHer a dang thing. I have a very limited number of dump banks. Therefore the most I'll search and dump is 2-4 boxes per week as well as any coins I find on an occasional road trip. Through trial-and-error, this is the amount I am comfortable with. So far, I know I can do that much volume without it being a problem. However, if I thought I could get away with 50-100 boxes a week for 6 months+ before getting cut off (thereby effectively doing years' worth of hunting in a short time), I'd order the boxes TODAY. If that got me, you, and other CRHers cut off, well...tough. If that makes me "greedy", then I'll just have to be comfortable being greedy. This is a greedy hobby. We want that silver coin in the teller's tray - even if she's saving it for her grandchild. Some people will even go so far as to complain to her boss if she doesn't want to part with it. Thats greed. We don't like it when new hunters hit "our" banks. Those banks are no more "ours" than theirs. Thats greed. If I walk into my LCS today and he has 100 ASE's on sale for $10 each, am I being greedy by buying them all? Maybe, but should I really only buy a few and save the others for my fellow collectors? Would you? Of course not.

You have to be a bit greedy in this hobby. Its a greedy hobby. We're trying to get the silver - all the silver - before someone else does. Thats the definition of greed. Nowhere ever on this forum have I seen someone say something like, "I found a few soild rolls of silver today. I dumped half of it into a coin counter so that my fellow CRHers could find some as well." I want all the silver I can get while I can still get it. There very well may come a day when CRH is no longer a feasible activity. While I would never do anything intentionally to get other CRHers cut off, if my normal CRH activities end up doing just that, well...tough.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately we all act like its our right to get free money. The bank owes us, and we always deflect when things goes bad. It always has to be someones fault if you dont get your way. Everyone else has to pay in one way or form to make a transaction at the bank. If you walk around with this mentality you get what you deserve.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Man I wish I could go big but as of now I only have about $800 disposable to me- I see some you getting 2-5k in halves and wish I had that kind of mullah to hunt with- ill just keep plugging away small time and enjoy getting my silver for basically free- HH

Some people get up to 30K in halves or more

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
When a bank shuts down CRH, they put more pressure on the other banks by transferring their load to another bank. Therefore, a domino effect is created with each bank getting fed up with the new CRHers and shutting down their operations.

Last edited:

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually get my dimes from the same place I dump...they are 99% member rolls and I mark my rolls. All the tellers know me by name at all 6 branches and i do a 1 for 1 swap roll for roll with them. This has eliminated the previous issue as I used to get everyones dimes and dump them at one location...the dump location complained which resulted in a phone call from the VP of accounts...we came up with the one for one solution and its working out great.

PS - My bank wont do bags, everything has to be rolled. Todays $250 worth resulted in a 46, 62, (2) 64s, a 2009 and a silver 2011 proof...so...its working...Ive been at it for about 2 months, same banks

jambone

Jan 26, 2013
Skunkington Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be a bit greedy in this hobby. Its a greedy hobby. We're trying to get the silver - all the silver - before someone else does. Thats the definition of greed. Nowhere ever on this forum have I seen someone say something like, "I found a few soild rolls of silver today. I dumped half of it into a coin counter so that my fellow CRHers could find some as well." I want all the silver I can get while I can still get it. There very well may come a day when CRH is no longer a feasible activity. While I would never do anything intentionally to get other CRHers cut off, if my normal CRH activities end up doing just that, well...tough.

gekko.jpg

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind."

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another anecdote for you...

Came back for boxes from a bank and talked to the manager about setting up an order. He had no problem setting up an order and said his brother collects so he thinks it's cool.

He gave me two warnings:

1) They may start charging a fee. He won't until they tell him to.

2) If I bring coins back, the relationship is over. He said he is tired of having people ordering coins and bringing them back to the same branch and filling up the machine.

I wasn't going to anyway, but there you go, another person that's fine with CRHing, but is angry about people bringing back the coins they buy. It costs them time and money. Idiots will ruin things.

JSMITH

Feb 23, 2013
Idaho
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO,Garrett Ace 250,Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ CC Hunter, its only hard labor if you're weak. Lol. 5K in halves is nothin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread