INCREDIBLE HUNT!!!!!!!!Freezing My A$$ Off

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I woke up early and started getting dressed, fired up and ready to go! Looked at the temp 12 degrees....REALLY? My lady who is much more intelligent than I am said " Honey just stay home with me and rest today". Hmmmm this sounds pretty smart, so I did the exact opposite and headed out :tongue3: I wanted to go to the spot I pulled the 4 ugly coppers from yesterday but knew it would be frozen solid. So I went to a spot that I've always wanted to check out. It's just a perfect spot for a colonial homestead. It's a point that sticks out into a small bay. It's on the edge of a river with easy access to the ocean. Only problem is that there's no record of settlement out there. But I didn't care about that. I believed there was something there. Out of the vehicle at 7:18 and ready for a very long hike. Perfect day for it as I figured it might warm me up. First find was a toasty copper in the way out. Random drop I'd say.
I set the T2 up in disc mode today at sens 99 and 0 disc. I love this set up and my baby was nailing the goodies today. Next find was a tiny little button about the size of a thumb tack head at 6".
image.jpg
The next area I found was an old stone bridge that crossed a small creek. I dug a brass bell first thing
image.jpg
Then I got a mid 80s hit down about 8". Out comes a small button. Thought it odd that it rang up so high and thought it might be silver, which would be a first. I'll get to that later :headbang:
I also found a small pewter piece shaped kind of like a tear drop and it's flat on one side. Not sure how to clean this piece. Any ideas are welcomed
image.jpg
After this I decided I was going to work my way up the rivers edge. Not expecting anything but I knew a few miles downriver there was at least two 17th century homesteads. I wasn't even going to swing in the hike but decided I should, very good decision. I got a beautiful 88-89 signal down about 8-10". Dug way down and scanned the plug. Still in the hole. So I dug way down and popped that out, checked the hole and it was out. It had fallen out if the dirt and I finally found it. Heeeeellllll yes! An 1802 Real that looked beautiful. Pretty damn psyched as it's been a very long time since I've found any Spanish. And my first Carolus iiii. A couple feet away I dug a flat button and this iron piece that just looks interesting to me and familiar for some reason.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I also found this oxen shoe close by and it's much different from the other hundreds that I pave dug. It seems much better constructed and has a groove in it. Yes I'm posting an oxen shoe lol
image.jpg
Here's the other iron I found
image.jpg
A few feet down river I got a banging 90 signal and out came my 4th complete shoe buckle :headbang:
image.jpg
image.jpg
About this time I was going to continue my trek down river to the 17th century area but I came to a spot where there was a rock face on one side and a steep cliff down into the river on the other. Slippery leaves in between. So I did the smart thing for a change and turned around.
Things got even better when I got home and rinsed my silver button. Not only was it silver but it was made of a 1772 Carolus iii half real. I absolutely LOVE this thing
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 68
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For sure Pep. This might motivate me to do the electrolysis thing. The acv just takes so long
I'll bite what's acv???

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SUPER HUNT! That reale button is awesome! The buckle is an awesome find as well. Love them.

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some great finds but if you want the really great stuff, wait till it's a bit colder. Like maybe, 1 degree.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great finds but if you want the really great stuff, wait till it's a bit colder. Like maybe, 1 degree.:laughing7:

Lol if there was no snow tonight would be perfect. Well below zero temps with wind chill. Silver always warms me up a bit

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol if there was no snow tonight would be perfect. Well below zero temps with wind chill. Silver always warms me up a bit

I'm going out tomorrow Ahab. That minus 6 windchill won't stop me!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going out tomorrow Ahab. That minus 6 windchill won't stop me!

Warms my heart bro. These finds when most won't go out add up in the end and they feel just a little sweeter when you're done and you're at home cleaning up your treasures. Good luck bro

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14: Great day out!! WTG!!

F75PAHUNTER

Mar 10, 2014
Hanover Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 LTD, Deus Xp, tecknetics gamma, Garrett pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU DONE GOOD, WHAT ARE YOU DIGGING WITH ? A JACK HAMMER?

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer finds man for sure my kind of digging:headbang:

That cufflink is my favorite find..Those personally made items are the best in my book..

You can certainly dig all year round in the woods
2thumbsup.gif

~Blaze~

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU DONE GOOD, WHAT ARE YOU DIGGING WITH ? A JACK HAMMER?

Well this was the first super cold day and this spot is on a rivers edge and fairly close to the ocean. It's also covered in oak leaves which keeps the ground from freezing as hard. I'm screwed now though cause it's going below zero tonight....again :-(

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds man for sure my kind of digging:headbang:

That cufflink is my favorite find..Those personally made items are the best in my book..

You can certainly dig all year round in the woods
2thumbsup.gif

~Blaze~
Thanks JB. I love that Cufflink too. I'll live it even more if I can find the other half

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks DI. I appreciate the info bro
No problem ,I always like to help if I can .From what I have seen and heard, electrolysis works well,I have never tried it,but I hear you have to be careful with it too?Usually what I do with Iron relics is let the crust dry real good and tap off what I can "lightly" with a big screw driver.Then take a wire brush to it, or a electric wire brush works even better,it should clean up well."That is quite a find you got there!Every bit of a $500.00 dollar piece or more if you want to talk value.Pretty rare find!I Look forward to seeing it cleaned up.Man what a find!I have only seen them in books.-HH

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem ,I always like to help if I can .From what I have seen and heard, electrolysis works well,I have never tried it,but I hear you have to be careful with it too?Usually what I do with Iron relics is let the crust dry real good and tap off what I can "lightly" with a big screw driver.Then take a wire brush to it, or a electric wire brush works even better,it should clean up well."That is quite a find you got there!Every bit of a $500.00 dollar piece or more if you want to talk value.Pretty rare find!I Look forward to seeing it cleaned up.Man what a find!I have only seen them in books.-HH

Hey thank you man! I hope that's what it is and like I said previously when I dug it I just felt like it was possibly something special. Call it intuition I guess. Def the coolest piece of iron I've dug. Not something I would have ever expected to find

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thank you man! I hope that's what it is and like I said previously when I dug it I just felt like it was possibly something special. Call it intuition I guess. Def the coolest piece of iron I've dug. Not something I would have ever expected to find
It looks like a pike head to me,but now you got me second guessing with hoping that is what it is.Is the the stem hollow or solid?

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a pike head to me,but now you got me second guessing with hoping that is what it is.Is the the stem hollow or solid?

It seems to be solid but the corrosion and rust is so thick it's hard to tell. I'll do some work on it and get back to you. It looks as though it broke and I'm wondering if it could have broken above the attachment point. I think I'm gonna have to clean it up a bit to tell the tale

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be solid but the corrosion and rust is so thick it's hard to tell. I'll do some work on it and get back to you. It looks as though it broke and I'm wondering if it could have broken above the attachment point. I think I'm gonna have to clean it up a bit to tell the tale
The ones that I have seen, have sockets, but that might not mean anything!There are not many examples around, and you could have found one that had a solid steel lance.?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that I have seen, have sockets, but that might not mean anything!There are not many examples around, and you could have found one that had a solid steel lance.?

Well I can't imagine what else it could be either. I guess a process of elimination would help. I'm just not sure what else would have that shape and come from the waters edge. Regardless I so appreciate all of your info and cluing me in to what I may have here. I was kinda bummed that nobody said anything about it. So when you did I was a pretty happy guy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread