🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1864 - 1909 Indian Head Penny : 95% copper, 5% zinc, 3.11 grams
1909 - 1982 Copper Lincoln Cent : 95% copper, 5% zinc, 3.11 grams
1982 - 2014 Zinc Lincoln Cent: 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper, 2.5 grams

So... why do those Indian Heads ring up with the same ID as a zinc penny? On my XP Deus at 18K, a copper Linc reads 90-91. An Indian Head and a Zincoln both read 85-87. Why?

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Buzz... one more thing that might help. If you "plant" a silver dime directly underneath a copper penny, you will most likely only display the copper penny. Moist, mineralized soil (high in iron oxide), will probably give you a display somewhere in between copper and silver. There is no such thing as perfect conditions, hence the display can only give an educated guess, based on the presented conditions and the state of its technology. A fancy way of saying the current VDI circuitry is not quite "there" yet. The VDI cannot "see" through the outer skin of coins. I had a target display that was jumping all over with different angles of the coil sweep. I normally don't dig such targets. I did, and found 65 cents of assorted coinage in the one hole. The display was confused by the copper, nickel, and silver coins. A pretty good "haul" for a jumpy display! I hope I haven't made my answer to your question just more confusing. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also if you want another conundrum.
Put two nickels together and test discrimination or ID.
It's a perfect pull tab signal.
AND gold will very often ring in as the same as a nickel. Go figure! TTC

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a quick unscientific trial on three non dug cents. A 1908 Indian, 1956 wheat 1981 Lincoln and a 2009 zinc Lincoln with my T2. The Indian came in at 79, the 1956 at 83, the 1981 at 83, and the Zinc at 78. Really odd, no idea why.
Yes, that pretty much matches what I'm talking about.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ever tried non dug examples in an air test? Might be interesting to see if it has something to do with having been in the ground longer, maybe something to do with the zinc leaching out?

Yes. My post is based upon air tests as well as real life experience. And with multiple coins. It is consistent.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think your thinker is thinking too much here maybe? As much as I too wonder about VDI's and tones and all at the end of it I just hear a tone check the VDI and dig it. Time and experience has led me to know the language whichever machine I am using is speaking to me pretty well. I try to avoid thinking about all the inconsistencies with the technology and just dig the targets. I spare racking my brain on more serious issues. Have fun and dig that beep.:wave:

I have a curious nature. I am not asking because it will help me metal detect. I am asking because it doesn't make sense.

The responses I'm getting lead me to believe that I may not have clearly stated my question. Let's forget about the Zincolns. My real question is just about Indian Heads vs pre-1983 copper Lincolns. Same size. Same alloy. Same weight. Different readings (TID, sound... whatever... different phase shifts). Not only have I tested and verified this with several different coins, but even XP's TID chart in their manual shows IHs reading differently than copper Lincs.

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a curious nature. I am not asking because it will help me metal detect. I am asking because it doesn't make sense.

The responses I'm getting lead me to believe that I may not have clearly stated my question. Let's forget about the Zincolns. My real question is just about Indian Heads vs pre-1983 copper Lincolns. Same size. Same alloy. Same weight. Different readings (TID, sound... whatever... different phase shifts). Not only have I tested and verified this with several different coins, but even XP's TID chart in their manual shows IHs reading differently than copper Lincs.
Yes, I follow you, and I would also like to know why. If I can find a couple, I would like to try a 1909 Indian and a 1909 Lincoln. maybe the amount of zinc used to vary a little.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes sir, Diggum! Most straight forward answer to a complex question. I like it. TTC

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes sir, Diggum! Most straight forward answer to a complex question. I like it. TTC
Not really. As I said, this is not about hunting them. I'm not having any problem finding them. I am simply asking "why".

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I follow you, and I would also like to know why. If I can find a couple, I would like to try a 1909 Indian and a 1909 Lincoln. maybe the amount of zinc used to vary a little.
Cutler, If you are as curious as the rest of us.... call the coin shops or troll the internet until you find the right coins. That's also a form of research worth trying. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not really. As I said, this is not about hunting them. I'm not having any problem finding them. I am simply asking "why".
Even though all here sincerely want to help answer your "why", too many answers tend to "muddy" the question. TTC

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried a 1909 Philadelphia Indian cent and a 1909 vdb. The Indian came in at 79 and the vdb nearly the same at 80. I suspect that there was just a little more zinc in the earlier cents.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tried a 1909 Philadelphia Indian cent and a 1909 vdb. The Indian came in at 79 and the vdb nearly the same at 80. I suspect that there was just a little more zinc in the earlier cents.
Huh!! Interesting!*

According to this site, both IH's and Lincolns (wheat and otherwise) are 95% Copper - 5% Tin and Zinc . I've never seen zinc mentioned anywhere else as a part of the alloy. Maybe IHs had more zinc and less tin, and Lincs just the opposite?

*I didn't know about VDBs before. Thanks... now I have to go through my pile of Wheaties to see if I have any! LOL! Such is life.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Huh!! Interesting!*

According to this site, both IH's and Lincolns (wheat and otherwise) are 95% Copper - 5% Tin and Zinc . I've never seen zinc mentioned anywhere else as a part of the alloy. Maybe IHs had more zinc and less tin, and Lincs just the opposite?

*I didn't know about VDBs before. Thanks... now I have to go through my pile of Wheaties to see if I have any! LOL! Such is life.

Did you read my response? The answers are right there. More tin inidians and more zinc in wheats and NO tin in memorials(1963 to 83). Information from the Red book.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference maybe due to different foundry techniques rather than the advertised alloy mixture.
Maybe the difference in density of the actual slug used at the mints?
I'm sure a lot changed in the process through those years.
Food for thought.

Noah

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you read my response? The answers are right there. More tin inidians and more zinc in wheats and NO tin in memorials(1963 to 83). Information from the Red book.

Except that the '44-58 Wheats don't have any tin either, but, still read different. To add another wrinkle in the discussion.....the '44-46 wheats are made from used shell casings, not virgin copper/zinc sheets.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I read "Now here is the tricky part. It's the amount of that .050 tin/zinc ratio that affects the phase. I would say in indians, there is more tin than zinc and in wheats, there is more zinc than tin. Also, from 1959-1962 the composition of this memorial coin was the same as wheats and on my CTX they read like them."

Bolding is mine. You gave an opinion. This time you are giving facts, and especially, the source of those facts. Thank you. I like sourced facts.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
1864 - 1909 Indian Head Penny : 95% copper, 5% zinc, 3.11 grams
1909 - 1982 Copper Lincoln Cent : 95% copper, 5% zinc, 3.11 grams
1982 - 2014 Zinc Lincoln Cent: 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper, 2.5 grams

So... why do those Indian Heads ring up with the same ID as a zinc penny? On my XP Deus at 18K, a copper Linc reads 90-91. An Indian Head and a Zincoln both read 85-87. Why?

I haven't read through all the other replies, but I think I know what you are trying to ask, and I think I have the answer:

Looking at the metallic compound recap you give, wheat pennies and IH pennies SHOULD have the same TID, right ? But they don't. And to FURTHER confuse the matter: There are year-spans of wheat pennies that ALSO read differently than each other. Eg.: the teens read different than the 1940s/50s wheaties. DESPITE the exact same supposed makeup. And EVEN when testing never-before-buried coins (like if you pulled them out of a coin store, and not md'ing related finds).

Here's the explanation I've heard: That copper varies in trace mineral contained in it. So therefore a copper mine in Utah, has subtle differences in their copper than copper mined in Montana, for instance. And as the years and decades progress, Uncle Sam buys the bulk metal on the open market. From wherever the current production is going on . And that moves around depending on the spot-market of selling price for whomever/wherever is being mined.

Same for gold: Notice that "Rose" gold is a slightly different color than regular gold. Yet both are simply "gold" right ? The color difference is because rose gold is mined in one location, versus regular gold mined in other locations. The trace elements cause the color difference. And so too do the trace mineral differences skew the TID's on our machines.

This is the way I've heard it explained anyhow.

OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't read through all the other replies, but I think I know what you are trying to ask, and I think I have the answer:

Looking at the metallic compound recap you give, wheat pennies and IH pennies SHOULD have the same TID, right ? But they don't. And to FURTHER confuse the matter: There are year-spans of wheat pennies that ALSO read differently than each other. Eg.: the teens read different than the 1940s/50s wheaties. DESPITE the exact same supposed makeup. And EVEN when testing never-before-buried coins (like if you pulled them out of a coin store, and not md'ing related finds).

Here's the explanation I've heard: That copper varies in trace mineral contained in it. So therefore a copper mine in Utah, has subtle differences in their copper than copper mined in Montana, for instance. And as the years and decades progress, Uncle Sam buys the bulk metal on the open market. From wherever the current production is going on . And that moves around depending on the spot-market of selling price for whomever/wherever is being mined.

Same for gold: Notice that "Rose" gold is a slightly different color than regular gold. Yet both are simply "gold" right ? The color difference is because rose gold is mined in one location, versus regular gold mined in other locations. The trace elements cause the color difference. And so too do the trace mineral differences skew the TID's on our machines.

This is the way I've heard it explained anyhow.

This may not always have been true (most certainly has not!) but one site I found says, "Copper is routinely refined to 99.98% purity (even more pure than Ivory Soap) before it is acceptable for many electrical applications.". But I think that would only be true in the post-electrical part of the industrial age, since I think that sort of purity is only reached by electroplating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread