Infinity Jet Build (Hey John)

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Have it anodized or keep a wire brush handy or wd40 the threads every time you take it out of the water. Looking at your drawing, it will not work like you have it drawn. The pipe with the threads will have to have threads on the whole pipe otherwise you will never get it together. You can always have just that piece made of stainless.

Lol good observation.

Can stainless steel be welded with steel.
Or just having the metal pipe that is threaded from front to back being stainless is good enough.

Btw i bought the dp500 and im getting the seal for my other pump sent by roger ( maxfuz) to DR for just $20.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you can weld the two together (it will rust though at the welds) but save the cost and just have that pipe made of ss, But heres another problem with your design... the pipe will have to be sch 40 for the threads to be turned. If you try sch20 by the time threads are turned your going to end up with a very weak pipe. It will prolly wear out in a matter of months. You will also have the issue with sch40 pipe of getting your hose connection. Another issue is going to be without some kind of locking feature (locknut) the pipe can back out or tighten up.

This is the reason I think infinity jets did not become popular, making them has a lot of design challenges. That's why G and I are having it built. That basic design I post in my original post is prolly going to be the easiest to work with. Just have to deal with the weight, figure out hose connections with sch 40....

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
you can weld the two together (it will rust though at the welds) but save the cost and just have that pipe made of ss, But heres another problem with your design... the pipe will have to be sch 40 for the threads to be turned. If you try sch20 by the time threads are turned your going to end up with a very weak pipe. It will prolly wear out in a matter of months. You will also have the issue with sch40 pipe of getting your hose connection. Another issue is going to be without some kind of locking feature (locknut) the pipe can back out or tighten up. This is the reason I think infinity jets did not become popular, making them has a lot of design challenges. That's why G and I are having it built. That basic design I post in my original post is prolly going to be the easiest to work with. Just have to deal with the weight, figure out hose connections with sch 40....

Is what you speaking of is the thickness of the pipe and i know it isnt a easy task but i hope it will pay off. Im going to try to use a thick pipe for it wont wear out quick.

Both design would deal with the same problems. I just like this one because water enters and exit in a straight line and the cone shape help focus the water to where it exits the chamber.

Yours may be a bit simpler but i believe this design should be more efficient, but we may never know to we make one.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ultimately making a uneducated guess I don't think its going to matter. Your going to end up with % of loss no matter how its built. Whether its dead heading or turning a 90, with the designs available your going to lose something. Your design looks like many others I've seen and am certain its going to cost much more to build. Is the small % your may gain worth the extra cost. I'm going to guess the design I used was going to cost me $405 here...your design would cost few hundred more based on complexity. Where your it I imagine it'll be cheaper but I bet you could have it built by glen cheaper then could be built there.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
Ultimately making a uneducated guess I don't think its going to matter. Your going to end up with % of loss no matter how its built. Whether its dead heading or turning a 90, with the designs available your going to lose something. Your design looks like many others I've seen and am certain its going to cost much more to build. Is the small % your may gain worth the extra cost. I'm going to guess the design I used was going to cost me $405 here...your design would cost few hundred more based on complexity. Where your it I imagine it'll be cheaper but I bet you could have it built by glen cheaper then could be built there.

It may sound uneducated but i use common knowledge to understand certain things without knowing the proper meanings.

The only thing that would be done different really is making cone instead of a cylinder and injecting the water through the other side.

I dont know glen. Maybe if he could give me a quote in how much would he charge me then i know what route to take. I was looking to spend $100 here since i could get some of the material free and probably some bought cheaply that is laying around in someones shop. So most of it would be paying for the labor. But im willing to pay a bit more if i know ima have it made by someone who have experience making any kind of jets.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Think that would depend on your capability ..and access to equipment... And what's glens gona charge of course ..
Would not consider building it out of any thing over sch 10 or 20 at he most .. Keene builds there stuff out of really thin wall and with rocks blasting the side wall it last a year! A infinity jet will last much longer. Just because there's nothing blasting into the side wall..
Biggest problem I see would be the threads rusting .maybe never seize ..or just build that part out of stainless ...and everything els out of carbon steel

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
G, the minimum the machine shop could turn here was sch 20 but as he put it, drop it even the slightest and it will bend at the threads or wear out fast. That's why sch40 was quoted on my estimate. If you use anything less the 3/8" plate for the threads that the pipe threads into, you run the risk of damaging, cross threading or stripping.

P, your talking a lot of machine shop time to build that, the simple design I had was quoted 5 hours @ $65. Your design looks to be more complicated so you might want to take it in and have it estimated, I bet you anything glen could build it cheaper and better. Just my 2 cents. Look at it this way, say it cost you 200 and it breaks or doesn't work...then what? What might of cost you 300 to have built along with ours, now he has to build it stand alone and he want 400 then what? I'm just pulling numbers out of my arse... Your time is running out to get with glen...he could start building them any day.

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
G, the minimum the machine shop could turn here was sch 20 but as he put it, drop it even the slightest and it will bend at the threads or wear out fast. That's why sch40 was quoted on my estimate. If you use anything less the 3/8" plate for the threads that the pipe threads into, you run the risk of damaging, cross threading or stripping. P, your talking a lot of machine shop time to build that, the simple design I had was quoted 5 hours @ $65. Your design looks to be more complicated so you might want to take it in and have it estimated, I bet you anything glen could build it cheaper and better. Just my 2 cents. Look at it this way, say it cost you 200 and it breaks or doesn't work...then what? What might of cost you 300 to have built along with ours, now he has to build it stand alone and he want 400 then what? I'm just pulling numbers out of my arse... Your time is running out to get with glen...he could start building them any day.
Ima pm you for you can further explain.

Last edited:

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
The problem I see with the design is that the water entering the chamber is aimed straight at the exit. Instead of having even pressure exiting 360• you're going to have a higher pressure at two points around the ring. Water will still exit at 360• but the efficiency will be reduced because of the uneven pressure. May be better off to build a dual or tri-jet

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
I could see what your saying but couldnt it probably be like a extra push or something good that it will achieve or will it be like stealing from one side to applying to the other.

Couldnt maybe placing inlet of water to enter in the bottom part of the jet help give it the extra push in a upper direction.

I think we got something now to think about.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I could see what your saying but couldnt it probably be like a extra push or something good that it will achieve or will it be like stealing from one side to applying to the other. Couldnt maybe placing inlet of water to enter in the bottom part of the jet help give it the extra push in a upper direction. I think we got something now to think about.
thats no good thinking hurts

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see it like stealing from 1/2 the ring to push the other 1/2 harder.
It may push harder in those areas but it's better than the loss of blasting straight into the side wall .
Beside pushing harder I tdont think is gona cause losses. And there's simply no way to build one perfect .
Your gona have some drawbacks somewhere

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hay omni its6 and 3/4 or real close it's not real easy to measure .. Holding a heavy flap and plus I had the tape inside so it could be a tad more....

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks G, I was figuring 7"
Honestly guys, the little bit you guys are talking about in loses is going to be so minute it's really not worth talking about. I got to run a infinity and compare it to a standard jet, you comparing a Ford Pinto to a BMW. It's so much more efficient that you will never notice.
Jack you know what I;m talking about, you seen how it was working on my 4 compared to my jet log. I don't think its going to matter if its coming in the end or the side at a 45, the loss will not be noticeable.

To everyone who gave good wishes to my wife and I, Thank you.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
G, the minimum the machine shop could turn here was sch 20 but as he put it, drop it even the slightest and it will bend at the threads or wear out fast. That's why sch40 was quoted on my estimate. If you use anything less the 3/8" plate for the threads that the pipe threads into, you run the risk of damaging, cross threading or stripping. P, your talking a lot of machine shop time to build that, the simple design I had was quoted 5 hours @ $65. Your design looks to be more complicated so you might want to take it in and have it estimated, I bet you anything glen could build it cheaper and better. Just my 2 cents. Look at it this way, say it cost you 200 and it breaks or doesn't work...then what? What might of cost you 300 to have built along with ours, now he has to build it stand alone and he want 400 then what? I'm just pulling numbers out of my arse... Your time is running out to get with glen...he could start building them any day.
No way omni sch 10 has a.109 wall so it's not that easy to bend it would be comparable to a keene or proline jet...
Yes it's too thin to tread but ya just buy a short threaded piece to to make your actual jet and weld it to your sch 10 piece
That way you could do stainless and save some money and weight. Find someone with a pipe threader or lathe ,some way to spin the pipe on center and take a die grinder to it ....
To make your tapered pieces ... it's the same way i turned that honda crank shaft down .... I took 1/8 of it while it was running..I used a tool rest vise and a die grinder with a dressed stone, Its not difficult thou I have some machining experience .... Just about anybody with alittle studying could do the same .... But if you don't have die grinders and the proper vice that's just another cost...
If your gona go down the road of building and fabricating things that's no big deal but some machine shop experience wou
D help a bunch... Plus you need a welder and the know how to use it..
Personally I'd take omni's advise and let glen do it ... There plenty of other things you can build on the dredge to keep ya busy
.. Ya know one of the biggest advantages you have with this kind of jet is it's adjustable to what ever kind of engine and pump combo you want to try.....

principedeleon

Oct 22, 2013
No way omni sch 10 has a.109 wall so it's not that easy to bend it would be comparable to a keene or proline jet... Yes it's too thin to tread but ya just buy a short threaded piece to to make your actual jet and weld it to your sch 10 piece That way you could do stainless and save some money and weight. Find someone with a pipe threader or lathe ,some way to spin the pipe on center and take a die grinder to it .... To make your tapered pieces ... it's the same way i turned that honda crank shaft down .... I took 1/8 of it while it was running..I used a tool rest vise and a die grinder with a dressed stone, Its not difficult thou I have some machining experience .... Just about anybody with alittle studying could do the same .... But if you don't have die grinders and the proper vice that's just another cost... If your gona go down the road of building and fabricating things that's no big deal but some machine shop experience wou D help a bunch... Plus you need a welder and the know how to use it.. Personally I'd take omni's advise and let glen do it ... There plenty of other things you can build on the dredge to keep ya busy .. Ya know one of the biggest advantages you have with this kind of jet is it's adjustable to what ever kind of engine and pump combo you want to try.....
Im going to contact him tomorrow. Hopefully because is 3 it comes out cheaper. He just sounds busy right now according from what omni showed me.Hope when hes done he get straight to building these.

Last edited:

panningjack

Apr 16, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3
Thanks G, I was figuring 7" Honestly guys, the little bit you guys are talking about in loses is going to be so minute it's really not worth talking about. I got to run a infinity and compare it to a standard jet, you comparing a Ford Pinto to a BMW. It's so much more efficient that you will never notice. Jack you know what I;m talking about, you seen how it was working on my 4 compared to my jet log. I don't think its going to matter if its coming in the end or the side at a 45, the loss will not be noticeable. To everyone who gave good wishes to my wife and I, Thank you.
I don't think the losses would be noticeable either. A proper infinity jet is adjustable to compensate. When I adjust my infinity using a 2" clear water pump I get just as much suction as a high pressure pump on a jet log

bill-costa rica

Sep 19, 2010
playa samara
Detector(s) used
sd2100 infinium ls, 10 inch dredge
Lol good observation.

Can stainless steel be welded with steel.
Or just having the metal pipe that is threaded from front to back being stainless is good enough.

Btw i bought the dp500 and im getting the seal for my other pump sent by roger ( maxfuz) to DR for just $20.

if you want to stick weld stainless you can , or mig, or tig weld.

bill/cr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread