OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HF 6.5hp's. I know blah blah blah buy American but there is no way I would spend $1000 for 2 engines...that would buy me 10 cheap engines that will last years with proper care.
I think I'm going to have to increase my box to 22" to handle the volume of water my future infinity jet is going provide. Yup, going to get a brand new spankin infinity!!! Hopefully in a few weeks.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HF 6.5hp's. I know blah blah blah buy American but there is no way I would spend $1000 for 2 engines...that would buy me 10 cheap engines that will last years with proper care. I think I'm going to have to increase my box to 22" to handle the volume of water my future infinity jet is going provide. Yup, going to get a brand new spankin infinity!!! Hopefully in a few weeks.
u talk with glen?

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
u talk with glen?
i just say buy American when ya can ! I make a pretty good incom so I can afford to spend a little more than most folks. It's just my way to give back and support a country that's provided so much for me ... Ya just do what ya can ! But no doubt it's difficult a lot of times there's no choice... And sometimes it's a better choice to buy imported stuff like those Honda engines. Dollar for dollar it's hard to compare .. Ya just can't kill them . But on the other hand I would never touch a honda pick up. My truck will drag that honda terd truck sideways down the road and never feel it back there..
22 mpg highway and will pull anything you tie to it.... Proud of that American made truck!

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i just say buy American when ya can ! I make a pretty good incom so I can afford to spend a little more than most folks. It's just my way to give back and support a country that's provided so much for me ... Ya just do what ya can ! But no doubt it's difficult a lot of times there's no choice... And sometimes it's a better choice to buy imported stuff like those Honda engines. Dollar for dollar it's hard to compare .. Ya just can't kill them . But on the other hand I would never touch a honda pick up. My truck will drag that honda terd truck sideways down the road and never feel it back there.. 22 mpg highway and will pull anything you tie to it.... Proud of that American made truck!
and ya have to be to pay 50k for a truck...lol

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
u talk with glen?

Yup, he's going to build ours at the same time, It's better from a fab point to build more then 1 at a time.
I have been looking and cant find a flare that's 22" other then the keene heavy duty dredges. Maybe 25' of hose will restrict the flow down enough for a 20" box. Either that I'm going to end up making a squared to round out of some aluminum but I think it'll be really noisy with the rocks bouncing along the bottom and longevity will suck also.

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, he's going to build ours at the same time, It's better from a fab point to build more then 1 at a time. I have been looking and cant find a flare that's 22" other then the keene heavy duty dredges. Maybe 25' of hose will restrict the flow down enough for a 20" box. Either that I'm going to end up making a squared to round out of some aluminum but I think it'll be really noisy with the rocks bouncing along the bottom and longevity will suck also.
i would build a20" box a 22. Is gona be limiting with those 6.5 motors! What kind of compressor u running?

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Compressor is a T80. According to Glen, he said I may need to build Up the sides of a 20" sluice to stop water and material from washing over. He did say depending on how fast I ran the engines and how long my suction line is so It may be ok...

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
....I think I'm going to have to increase my box to 22" to handle the volume of water my future infinity jet is going provide. Yup, going to get a brand new spankin infinity!!! Hopefully in a few weeks.

Your making your own box right? I'll see if I can find pics of my 5" build. I like to run the dredge hard with lots of suction and so with the higher flows i made a 22" wide box that necked down to fit the keene 20" wide flare. After bending the new box 22" wide, i cut the box sides 10" down along the bottom, bend the sides in 1" for 6" and bend out the last 4" to square up with the flare to attach. Then weld it at the new seam. Leave the extra at the bottom. Walla.. You have a 22" wide box that will fit a standard width flare. Worked perfect.

I also add a slick plate to my boxes from the flare that ends flush at the TOP of the first riffle. The hose and flare classifies the heavies to the bottom, why create a hydraulic jump to re-mix the material. Thats why we dumped the crashbox. Gold drops right in the first riffles. My friffles are a little shorter in the top section and the first few only have rubber V mat (attached to a removable piece of aluminum plate) and the rest is miners moss. V-mat so you can easily see if u are on the gold when sampling. Remember you have a punch plate classifier over the top few feet of box. I also made my riffles into two sections. I only cleaned the top couple feet out daily. The bottom only once a week. Not much gold down there except for the nuggets that dont fall thru the classifier

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
Heres some pics of what i am talking about. Riffles i got from Pat Keene that he found out back of their shop. Cheep n easy ;)

Last edited:

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
Compressor is a T80. According to Glen, he said I may need to build Up the sides of a 20" sluice to stop water and material from washing over. He did say depending on how fast I ran the engines and how long my suction line is so It may be ok...

Build a wider box. You may have too high of velocity to catch the small stuff. Same with the center box of the old side by side tripple sluice. Big gold goes right out if you run it hard.

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
Here is the factory manual for the gold divers couple jet I got it from Burl along w his last NOS 6" jet 8)

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Idea! I'll keep that in mind. I might just build me a flare and save $250. As I said its not hard to do even if you don't have a jet tool. For my box it's self, I am going to do a simple over/under. My under flow section is going to be strait vortex matting. I could not get any 3/16 punch plate so went with the only other choice, 1/4" punch plate. I worry that if I come across any small pieces of gold that will fall through the pp I'll lose it out the back because it's to big to fit in the vortex matting.

My upper is going to be many different types of riffle and will be unscreened. In the front will be modified Clarkston riffles at various angles then after a few feet I'm going to switch to dovetail style riffles. Like Reed and Dahlke run. I haven't decided as to what I'm going to run under these riffles. I might just do vortex but could do minors moss...I'm hoping to get some feedback on this config. I'm considering adding in a small "scalper" like I did on my 3 stage last year and like you did it sounds. Don't know how anyone could ever sample without that. So much easier to look at that verse panning out a whole section.

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
The rest of it. Like i said before. I didn't much care for it but to each their own :) cheers

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks!
Holy $)%% 620gpm recommended for a 6" With that kind of flow through the venturi, you should be able to suck a bowling ball through your hose!.
Is that capacity number inflated? I mean, holy crap 6-18 yards a hour? If that's acual numbers running stream bead material and not sand in a controlled test.....that will indeed be very impressive.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks again!!!! If I finish my build before Glen is done with the jet, I may build a 6 jet just to mess around with and compare the Hg draw be tween a quad, 6 jet and the Infinity. Might be a fun project.

iamgman

Jul 2, 2013
Thanks again!!!! If I finish my build before Glen is done with the jet, I may build a 6 jet just to mess around with and compare the Hg draw be tween a quad, 6 jet and the Infinity. Might be a fun project.
Yep. Your retired. You got way more time on your hands than i do. Just like Mr Oats. Always building something LOL. Cheers and cant wait to see the final product.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Omni the Vortex matts dont do well in fast water or unscreened dredge cons.maybe only use it for the under section of your dredge. itll be screened and the water will be less active in the under sluice. i currently use Veranda carpet in my upper and lower sluices.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rus, I used vortex in the under sidee of my 4" with 3/4 expanded and it worked great. I used veranda on the top side and it also worked great. I can't find it any more online so I'm left without a plan right now!

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep. Your retired. You got way more time on your hands than i do. Just like Mr Oats. Always building something LOL. Cheers and cant wait to see the final product.

Well, how kind of you to put it like that! LOL
I'm not retired per say...lets call it a extended time to pursue other interest! :) Na I lost my job 5-6 months ago and have not been able to find another so I'm going to try mining as my occupation this year. That's why I'm going with a 6" dredge. If I had a few claims of my own, I would feel much better about it but for now I'll just have to stick to public areas or % deals. When I move to CO I'm going to try buying several claims to work, Good luck to me ehh,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread