INFO NEEDED, GYPSIES

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
If you know the area ,look for stones in the ground in the shape of a cross. A true gypsy burial would not have taken place with out some type of marker...even a rose bush or flowering plant as to not forget the site. Gypsys were more often than not, buried in an upright position. All of their posessions that were not buried with them would have been destroyed at the burial site including horse brasses,pottery iron pots ,cooking utensils etc. Jewelry would have been given to family if not buried with them for the afterlife. .
A gypsy will not handle their own dead ,unless absolutely necessary, so an outsider would have been called in to prepare the body and bury it...is there any record of this.

recshooter

Jun 26, 2007
Not to my knowledge..there isn't any sort of treasure legend attached or anything like that. I dont know the time frame of when this was supposed to occur either. I would guess my greatgrandfather bought the property in the 1940's. A neighbor told him the story. Basically it just says that some gypsies were camped there for the night, two got sick and died and were buried there by the road on the corner of the property. Since there was no fantastic aspect to the story I thought that perhaps there might be some truth to it. I've never seen any sort of marking there but since it is so close to the road I would think that perhaps over the years any sort of marker may have been removed if it was not the typcal grave stone.

recshooter

Jun 26, 2007
BTW this is in West Tennessee if that matters...

I was just simply curious if this story had any chance of being true...I certainly hope it didn't sound like I wanted to Uhhh "check for valuables" if there was a chance it was true.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I didnt think you meant that.
There was an entire colony of Gypsy's in Tennessee once and a report of a tornadoe hitting one of their camps near Dyersburg in 1921

schlooppy

Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City, Mo.
Wow what an informative thread. Don't know how I missed all this time. Thanks for all the great information gypsyheart. I have never been able to find anything on my families origins but if gypsies like sitting around campfire's having some drinks,listening to music, dancing, traveling & adventure then at the very least I must be gypsy at heart ;D

Have a good one

schlooppy

K

Kentucky Kache

relicreb said:
I can assure you that all the Gypsies that I knew did not have 2 cents must less any money to bury.
Maybe that's because they hid it all in the 1800s. ;D

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
Jeff,

I really don't know much about gypsies, but my wife's aunt was one. Here is a pic of a tapestry that we have in our living room, that belonged to my wife's grandmother.

I have some old pics of the aunt, if you would like to see them, I can post them here. They are kinda neat.

Timberwolf

Attachments

• MVC-020F.JPG
    MVC-020F.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 838
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timberwolf said:
Jeff,

I really don't know much about gypsies, but my wife's aunt was one. Here is a pic of a tapestry that we have in our living room, that belonged to her.

I have some old pics of her, if you would like to see them, I can post them here. They are kinda neat.

Timberwolf

Nice Pic.
Feel Free to Post more.

Jeff

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used

Attachments

• auntjulia_guns1.jpg
    auntjulia_guns1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 810
  • auntjulia_guns2.jpg
    auntjulia_guns2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 802
  • auntjulia_hunting.jpg
    auntjulia_hunting.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 811
  • auntjulia_outting.jpg
    auntjulia_outting.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 808
  • auntjulia_pose.jpg
    auntjulia_pose.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 793
OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW.

I like her Sexy Hat in the First one ;D

Would be cool to find out where that Outing
(second to last Pic) was.

You may want to see if it's near you.

Great Pics !

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures are way too cool! Those need to be displayed. She is brimming with self confidence...Steve

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Great pics and I'm tryin' my best to pull up some kind of memory of that 1st pic.I know I have seen it before,or at least the same outfit including the hat.I just can't bring it to the surface yet.I'll keep trying.Wait,it was in a book about nomads of the West,I'm sure or travels to the west???I'll keep on a thinkin'.

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
warsawdaddy said:
Great pics and I'm tryin' my best to pull up some kind of memory of that 1st pic.I know I have seen it before,or at least the same outfit including the hat.I just can't bring it to the surface yet.I'll keep trying.Wait,it was in a book about nomads of the West,I'm sure or travels to the west???I'll keep on a thinkin'.

Now that would really be cool, if she was in someone's book!
Let me know if you remember :)

TW

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
warsawdaddy said:

In the early 1900's Indian maiden photos were extremely popular....perhaps because of her dark coloring the photographer thought she would look good in the costume ...and he was correct

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
gypsyheart said:
warsawdaddy said:

In the early 1900's Indian maiden photos were extremely popular....perhaps because of her dark coloring the photographer thought she would look good in the costume ...and he was correct

That could be Gypsy, but she was not Indian. She was full blooded Belgium.
Thanks for the kind comments, Mrs Timberwolf enjoyed reading them ;D

Timberwolf

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Timberwolf said:
gypsyheart said:
warsawdaddy said:

That could be Gypsy, but she was not Indian. She was full blooded Belgium.
Thanks for the kind comments, Mrs Timberwolf enjoyed reading them ;D

Timberwolf

Oh...I didnt think she was Indian...I was just saying that alot of women were photographed in Indian maiden costunmes during that era.... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread