Opinions on Hunting Strategy in Ecuador?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Be Prepared"--for anything. When I was there during the period of '97 and '98 five people pubically claimed they were the President in a period of two years--a lot of 'palms to cross'. Overtly, talk, dress and act like a tourist, appearing not as a competitor to the 'locals'. Covertly, do your thing.
Don....

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
no such thing as "covert" when you are a gringo in Central/South America; a red beacon is flashing over your head
every single place you go you will be the topic of conversation - and you will never hear a single word
if you have no local partners, develop some

Bill

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Star, looking forward to meeting up with you in October. I should be back in Vilcabamba mid October and friends and I will be making some serious plans for a specific trip we have been planning for nearly a year.

Gold prospecting is all about research, and that can prove even more challenging in Ecuador, mainly due to the language barrier. I know the locations of a couple ancient river channels around Tena and will be spending some time exploring those areas. This is very close to the area I was attacked, so if you wander that way, be exceptionally careful. Will talk more in person soon.

Cya!

AA

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some of the best advice on gold locations I've ever had has been given to me by locals. Take the time to get to know them (it takes a good investment of time), and then you need to listen carefully, with respect.

All the best,

Lanny

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting to know the locals is good advice anytime anywhere. Of course you must earn trust and small gifts are always a welcome way to make friends.... just don't over do it to the point of making a show of wealth. Use caution and common sense and always be aware of your surroundings.

Hiring a trustworthy local guide who is well respected will go a long way toward getting to know who's who and what's what.

GG~

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need advice from the old hands. I have experience metal detecting, but never specifically for gold.

I have moved to Ecuador. There is plenty of gold here - dredges are common. Concessions, large and small, frequently seen. However, my son and I are taking it a step at a time - no dredging for now. We plan to pan, sluice, and nugget hunt.

Panning and sluicing, detecting along lowland streams and rivers I feel okay about. Technique wise, I think we can learn the ropes over time. Problem is that we do not want to trespass on someone else's concession. "Virgin territory" here means going into the Oriente. We plan on doing so, but AFTER we get the experience needed.

In the meantime, I thought of leveraging river concessions by following streams feeding the concessions up into the mountains nugget hunting and panning/sluicing as indicated along the way.

Please give your opinions. Thanks.

Start with a solid VLF nuggetshooter, like a Fisher Goldbug II; Tesoro Lobo Super Traq; or a Whites GMT. All three of these machines are proven gold finders. You can find half-gram pickers at 6"-7" with these machines, and the big ones are screaming. After you find some weight, you can sell it and get a serious gold finding metal detector - The Minelab GPX 5000.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Start with a solid VLF nuggetshooter, like a Fisher Goldbug II; Tesoro Lobo Super Traq; or a Whites GMT. All three of these machines are proven gold finders. You can find half-gram pickers at 6"-7" with these machines, and the big ones are screaming. After you find some weight, you can sell it and get a serious gold finding metal detector - The Minelab GPX 5000.

Like Terry says. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread