Interesting point base..

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at this point that was found over the weekend. Can anyone explain why the base would be curved like that? The point, which is about the size of a quarter, was found in the same vicinity as the drill and knife in the second picture.
Point.jpg
Point2.jpg

Upvote 15

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I see you are from Utah which is always a good idea to say when asking for an I.D. I’ve seen some double notched points before out west I’m thinking Evans is the name but not sure if you have them in your area. It’s a killer find

OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m thinking outside the box here. Your bipointed blade was hafted on one of the pointed ends like this pic I drew. View attachment 2114016
Why couldn’t the eccentric looking one have been hafted on the pointed end? The eccentric “base” would then become a specialized tool. Thoughts? View attachment 2114017
That is very "outside the box" thinking! I can see it being plausible as these pieces were found within feet of each other.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking maybe it was used like a cornor tang knife.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread