Interesting point base..

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at this point that was found over the weekend. Can anyone explain why the base would be curved like that? The point, which is about the size of a quarter, was found in the same vicinity as the drill and knife in the second picture.
Point.jpg
Point2.jpg

Upvote 15

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I see you are from Utah which is always a good idea to say when asking for an I.D. Iā€™ve seen some double notched points before out west Iā€™m thinking Evans is the name but not sure if you have them in your area. Itā€™s a killer find

OP
OP
mammoth29

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™m thinking outside the box here. Your bipointed blade was hafted on one of the pointed ends like this pic I drew. View attachment 2114016
Why couldnā€™t the eccentric looking one have been hafted on the pointed end? The eccentric ā€œbaseā€ would then become a specialized tool. Thoughts? View attachment 2114017
That is very "outside the box" thinking! I can see it being plausible as these pieces were found within feet of each other.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking maybe it was used like a cornor tang knife.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread