Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it - but - Irma is following the path of the 1935 Labor Day storm. That one had a 892 mbar pressure, 26.34 inHg. (Lowest ever recorded in continental United States). 185 mph winds.

Labor_Day_hurricane_1935-09-04_weather_map.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1935_Labor_Day_hurricane

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full on rageing right now. Steady roar with thumping and crashing noises mixed in. Got to be blowing between 50-100 right now. Large crashing noise around 4am. Not enough light outside yet, and to dangerous to go out right now. We're taken it right now. Think the top of the power pole at my house snapped off it was starting to go yesterday afternoon. Have not seen my house since. Pretty sporty out right now. We're safe and sound in the bunker right now. Others will not be as lucky as us though. It's gonna be a long grind to dig ourselves out of this mess. It is howling out there right now.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Stay safe out there, up here it's more like a normal rain storm, if anything the winds seem to have died down since last night. I guess we are seeing the so called calm before the storm. We won't see the worst of it till they are saying around 2:00 am Monday morning. We may see a double whammy, they are saying we could see tornados along with everything else.

Just in case you don't have sand bags to seal around your doors, you can use partially filled garbage bags with water.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
5:00AM Monday for the worst of it for Citrus, Levy, and Marion county, by then the weathermen say it will be a Cat1...
...then again, all these predictions have changed many times, and most likely to change again.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tv shows the eye just went over Key West, cat 4. The feeder bands will still be circulating.
I think most of the tornado activity is on the east side of storm, so far.
Wind gust reported 140 mph.

You got hit from one direction, now the wind will hit ya from the opposite. Hang in there, stay safe.

The news guy was complaining the Key West live camera feed quite. Lol, ya think! They'll be lucky if they even find it.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They found a live camera shot key Largo, the ocean down there looks like its in a blender.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
These idiot news reporters on the outer bands trying to dramatize the wind they sway about in need to be slapped. Hard!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all about the ratings my friend. They make me laugh. I seldom rains in SoCal and it is hysterical how they find the slightest sprinkle and make a mountain out of it. Closeups on a 2" Diameter sapling that fell over. No kidding, on every news channel. Severe storm watch Socal :)

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That baby will have a story for life! Mother nature waits for nothing.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ecs, came up 19, prolly rite thru u. In Sw Ga ATM, got many giant scary pine trees and an already bad roof.
Bunkered interior closet up. Will sleep their with the birds, or go across st with neighbors where their is no trees. This ain't fun. Will try to check in again later......

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh and Dave, u and yours hunker down now! Its going to be over Naples within an hour or so, speeding up. May take a little longer to get to you, be safe friend......

Eta sorry bout spelling, small screen, not on laptop, dang auto correct,, too, lol

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigWaveDave has his location a ft. Myers. It is pretty likely that he will see the eye, and less encouraging that eyewall. He said he was terrified last post. After the storm he may need a lot of support.

BigWaveDave, if you can read this you have survived hurricane Irma. You are now obligated to tell stories of your epic adventure. : ) I pray that you might find comfort and peace of mind soon.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The east side of Irma is at this moment producing tornados in the Cocoa, Cape Canaveral, Patrick AFB area, and creating havoc with flying debris.
Expect more of this in central Florida's east side as Irma moves north later tonight and tomorrow morning.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
57 years ago this weekend hurricane Donna came through on exact same path.

Hurricane Donna was the strongest hurricane of the 1960 Atlantic hurricane season, and caused severe damage to the Lesser Antilles, the Greater Antilles, and the East Coast of the United States, especially Florida, in August–September. The fifth tropical cyclone, third hurricane, and first major hurricane of the season, Donna developed south of Cape Verde on August 29, spawned by a tropical wave to which 63 deaths from a plane crash in Senegal were attributed.

The depression strengthened into Tropical Storm Donna by the following day. Donna moved west-northwestward at roughly 20 mph (32 km/h) and by September 1, it reached hurricane status. Donna deepened significantly and reached its peak intensity early on September 4, with maximum sustained winds of 145 mph (230 km/h).

Thereafter, it weakened slightly as it brushed the Lesser Antilles later that day. On*Sint Maarten, the storm left a quarter of the island's population homeless and killed seven people. An additional five deaths were reported inAnguilla and there were seven other fatalities throughout the Virgin Islands. In Puerto Rico, severe flash flooding led to 107 fatalities, 85 of them in Humacao alone.

Donna further weakened to a Category 3 hurricane late on September 5, but eventually became a Category 4 hurricane again. While passing through The Bahamas, several small island communities in the central regions of the country were leveled, but no damage total or fatalities were reported.

Early on September 10, Donna made landfall near Marathon, Florida with winds of 130 mph (215 km/h), hours before another landfall south of Naples at the same intensity.

Florida bore the brunt of Hurricane Donna. In the Florida Keys, coastal flooding severely damaged 75% of buildings, destroyed several subdivisions in Marathon.

On the mainland, 5,200 houses were damaged, which does not include the 75% of homes damaged at Fort Myers Beach; 50% of buildings were also destroyed in the city of Everglades. Crop losses were also extensive. A total of 50% of grapefruit crop was lost, 10% of the orange and tangerine crop was lost, and the avocado crop was almost destroyed. In the state of Florida alone, there were 13 deaths and $300 million in losses.

Donna weakened over Florida and was a Category 2 hurricane when it re-emerged into the Atlantic from North Florida. By early on September 12, the storm made landfall near Topsail Beach, North Carolina as a strong Category 2 hurricane.

Donna brought tornadoes and wind gusts up to 100 mph (155 km/h), damaging or destroying several buildings in Eastern North Carolina, while crops were damaged as far as 50 miles (80 km) inland. Additionally, storm surge caused significant beach erosion and structural damage at Wilmington and Nags Head.

Eight people were killed and there were over 100*injuries. Later on September 12, Donna reemerged into the Atlantic Ocean and continued to move northeastward.

The storm struck Long Island, New York late on September 12 and rapidly weakened inland. On the following day, Donna became extratropical over Maine.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Then there was hurricane Dora, September 8-10, 1964 that caused power outages in and around Jacksonville, and THE BEATLES were scheduled for a WAPE "BIG APE" concert at the Gator Bowl, September 11th.
Driving on 301 from Ocala to Jacksonville there was hardly any lights from houses or street lights, and entering Duval county it was still a blackout, but in the distance, like a beacon flashing, the Gator Bowl was totally lighted up, while most of Jacksonville was still dark.
There was no rain, THE BEATLES performed, and yes, I was there.
Remembering Hurricane Dora

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will be ok BWD, things can be replaced. Praying for you all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread