Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Day 1 of our Marathon hunt. Rodeo Recon, Bonzaibrandi, and I got out on an old spot that has been good to us in the past. First time there we found lots of flat buttons, tombac buttons, and even some pewters--plus a boatload of musketballs and several brass thimbles.

Long story short, Rodeo Recon's stars must've been in line or something--cause I only managed to score one musketball, a thimble, and a three or four buttons... I'll get to what he found in a jiffy, but first here's a site photo. Most of these photos were taken in failing light, so I'm happy they turned out ok. Hunted from midday until after dark today, and Man was it cold after that sun went down.

Tesoro.jpg

Rodeo got the large loop of what we are pretty sure is Another sword hanger. :o We started digging a lot of buttons on the site, and found a few other interesting bits. I have always thought that there ought to be a coin at the spot. So we were hoping for one today. Well, I got a coin all right--a danged Jefferson Nickel. I hope it's the only CLAD I find all year. :protest:

Well, the other coin was a good one--dug by Rodeo:

dime in dirt.jpg

Here's the look on his face after he dug it. :D We knew it'd be old. My first thoughts when Rodeo said he had a silver were 1. Spanish Real 2. Capped Bust, or 3. Early Seated.

duo.jpg

Well, it ended up being an early seated dime--and I mean Early. :thumbsup:

dime in hand.jpg

dime uncleaned.jpg

So once it got to the point that we couldn't See anything, nor Feel our fingers, we headed home. Here's a photo of all of the finds, uncleaned:

finds all.jpg

And Rodeo's dime. It is an 1838. :thumbsup: BIG Congratulations on Rodeo for this not only being his First silver of the year, but also our Oldest American silver since the Iron Brigade started. She's holed, but she's a beauty. And any 1830s Silver is a tough find. :)

Dime Rev.jpg

Dime obverse.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

dcooper1

Oct 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
New Excalibur II, DFX w 12" Super and stock coil, XLT with stock coil, 14" & 6" coils
Good job Buckles. Nice assortment of finds there. There will be more!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Rodeo!!! An early Seated coin on a late winter hunt, sure can't complain, that is for sure. Now BB, where's the closeup of your rare Jefferson nickel? ;D

Don

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Congrats on the silver! That's what keeps me going at an old site that only reluctantly gives up the goodies - the thought of extracting something like that myself!

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
You guys are tearing up the state of Kentucky Buck. Tell Rodeo that he reminds me of myself. He seems to be a coin vacuum. If there is an old coin to be found he is your man. Outstanding. You know how particular my little group is. There are certain era coins that just don't cut it. We arent usually gaga over seated coins but EARLY seated makes the grade in a huge way. Congratulations to the IRON BRIGADE.
Chris

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
You guys are tearing up the state of Kentucky Buck. Tell Rodeo that he reminds me of myself. He seems to be a coin vacuum. If there is an old coin to be found he is your man. Outstanding. You know how particular my little group is. There are certain era coins that just don't cut it. We arent usually gaga over seated coins but EARLY seated makes the grade in a huge way. Congratulations to the IRON BRIGADE.
Chris

You're right. It is a world of difference between an 1830s coin with a mintage of 1million and an 1870s seated with a mintage of 8million. One day the shovel will turn over a capped, and I'll be Super Thrilled. :)

Thanks for the reply, my friend. Keep up the great hunts up north.

Don in SJ said:
WTG Rodeo!!! An early Seated coin on a late winter hunt, sure can't complain, that is for sure. Now BB, where's the closeup of your rare Jefferson nickel? ;D

Don

Ummm. My super rare Jefferson was a 1998. I really hadn't intended to post it, but if you cajole me enough I might be willing to sneak you a photo in the chat room, Don. :D

-Buckles

K

KirkTN

1838, Great Find. I've yet to get back that far. Some nice buttons too and that does looks like part of a sword hanger.

Great pics.

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool deal.I noticed that the hole looks wierd.Like it was engraved ? around the edge.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Congrats to Rodeo and the Brigade's oldest American Silver coin find! :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I think a bust coin will show up for the Brigade at the rate you're finding the keepers this year!

Nice recap and pics Buckles. Congrats also on your buckles and button keepers too.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Congrats to Rodeo and the Brigade's oldest American Silver coin find! :thumbsup: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I think a bust coin will show up for the Brigade at the rate you're finding the keepers this year!

Nice recap and pics Buckles. Congrats also on your buckles and button keepers too.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

I hope so, Dan. I think we need a bust coin this year. I'd also be happy if we can pull a 3 cent silver or nickel out. We have two 2c pieces and 5 shield nickels now, so you'd think a 3c is hiding somewhere.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No wonder she is sitting...she is oooold. Congrats on a great old seated.

Looking forward to the IB finds this season.

NJ

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job BB, RR, & BB of IB. :thumbsup:
Looks like a lot of fun out there. Some very nice relics you three found, except that darn clad nickel of course. :tongue3:

RR,
Congrats on that 38' seated dime. You da Man! :icon_king:

BB,
Will you be posting a cleaned up version of the relics?
I was curious to see what this item looked like.
Buckle or suspender clip?
Any writing or design on it? :icon_scratch:

Way to go you three. :thumbsup:

-MM-

Attachments

• BUCKLE.jpg
    BUCKLE.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 511

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
Great silver find.

Attachments

• tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 503
  • tn_27_jpg.jpg
    tn_27_jpg.jpg
    850 bytes · Views: 503
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Great job BB, RR, & BB of IB. :thumbsup:
Looks like a lot of fun out there. Some very nice relics you three found, except that darn clad nickel of course. :tongue3:

RR,
Congrats on that 38' seated dime. You da Man! :icon_king:

BB,
Will you be posting a cleaned up version of the relics?
I was curious to see what this item looked like.
Buckle or suspender clip?
Any writing or design on it? :icon_scratch:

Way to go you three. :thumbsup:

-MM-

MM,

I don't know when or if cleaned up photos will be posted. The relics have parted ways at this point for cleaning--and I have been out all day again today. HB and I hit a few spots trying to find an old site--and we struck out on our mill site we were trying for, and ended up finding only a housesite that had been filled in. So there was hardly anything there. We went to one of my other stand-by sites and found six or seven flat buttons, a few musketballs, and HB got a late date IH.

I don't know if I'll have time to post that stuff or not. Going back out all day tomorrow, but I'm sooooo beat.

I think the clip you mention is not a suspender type, but an overall adjuster buckle. And I think it was a farmer drop in the field we were in. It is plain with no markings. I think I have a similar one in my collection here. PM me and remind me this weekend and I'll look for it to photograph for you. (The other one was dug by Brandi).

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions