Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Day 1 of our Marathon hunt. Rodeo Recon, Bonzaibrandi, and I got out on an old spot that has been good to us in the past. First time there we found lots of flat buttons, tombac buttons, and even some pewters--plus a boatload of musketballs and several brass thimbles.

Long story short, Rodeo Recon's stars must've been in line or something--cause I only managed to score one musketball, a thimble, and a three or four buttons... I'll get to what he found in a jiffy, but first here's a site photo. Most of these photos were taken in failing light, so I'm happy they turned out ok. Hunted from midday until after dark today, and Man was it cold after that sun went down.

Tesoro.jpg

Rodeo got the large loop of what we are pretty sure is Another sword hanger. :o We started digging a lot of buttons on the site, and found a few other interesting bits. I have always thought that there ought to be a coin at the spot. So we were hoping for one today. Well, I got a coin all right--a danged Jefferson Nickel. I hope it's the only CLAD I find all year. :protest:

Well, the other coin was a good one--dug by Rodeo:

dime in dirt.jpg

Here's the look on his face after he dug it. :D We knew it'd be old. My first thoughts when Rodeo said he had a silver were 1. Spanish Real 2. Capped Bust, or 3. Early Seated.

duo.jpg

Well, it ended up being an early seated dime--and I mean Early. :thumbsup:

dime in hand.jpg

dime uncleaned.jpg

So once it got to the point that we couldn't See anything, nor Feel our fingers, we headed home. Here's a photo of all of the finds, uncleaned:

finds all.jpg

And Rodeo's dime. It is an 1838. :thumbsup: BIG Congratulations on Rodeo for this not only being his First silver of the year, but also our Oldest American silver since the Iron Brigade started. She's holed, but she's a beauty. And any 1830s Silver is a tough find. :)

Dime Rev.jpg

Dime obverse.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Upvote 0

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Just missed that capped bust by a year!!! BB,your closing in on it buddy,can't wait to see it :thumbsup:
Jerry

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Another outstanding hunt in the annals of the Brigade book. Awesome finds all around Buck and a big congrats to Rodeo on that beautiful little silver. The Brigade certainly gets the job done... :wink: :icon_thumleft:

oahu90

Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
What is up with the whole on the dime though it looks like it was made like that??

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon
Oahu90 said:
What is up with the whole on the dime though it looks like it was made like that??

It was a souvenir coin or charm.

Nice finds BB.
Newt

Sir Digs-A-Lot

Sep 14, 2008
Orlando Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II and ACE 250
kieser sousa/rip said:
Cool deal.I noticed that the hole looks wierd.Like it was engraved ? around the edge.

Oahu90 said:

Yeah, strikes me as odd also. The hole has a rim around it like it was minted that way. And why put the hole at such an odd spot on the coin.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ferrous Bueller said:
kieser sousa/rip said:
Cool deal.I noticed that the hole looks wierd.Like it was engraved ? around the edge.

Oahu90 said:

Yeah, strikes me as odd also. The hole has a rim around it like it was minted that way. And why put the hole at such an odd spot on the coin.

I've found coins that were holed in just about any position around the rim. So the location of the hole is not unusual. But I also noticed the neat rim around the hole. I think it was holed early in its life, very neatly, and then the whole coin wore down in circulation so that the original places around the hole smoothed out and ended up looking like a "rim." But that is just my theory.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Very nice. I would turn that coin into a really nice necklace.
Dan

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find ..holed or not ..you still get a rush digging a coin like this!! finding old silver at a spot like that is great. H-Hing Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread