Iron Brigade with TWO 180-Year-Old COINS.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

The IRON Brigade got permission to hunt a GREAT site today. We'd jumped through a few hoops to get permission--driving out of our way to talk to a kind older lady, then out to talk to her son, then back to the site again...but it was Well worth it. :) Let's put it this way--there were two old houses on the property, and the Newer one was built in 1860--a Giant old farmhouse. :wink: We were interested in the one that had been long gone by the time the family bought the property in the mid-60's to start with.

On deck were Rodeo Recon, DiggerGirl, and Buckleboy with all of our passions HIGH. We got our GPS coordinates and headed out into the pasture. When we got to the spot, we started scanning for signs of habitation. It didn't take long--busted stoneware pottery and old mud brick Everywhere where the rainwater had cut furrows on its way down to the creek. :thumbsup: So our coordinates were about 20 feet off. Dang. ;D Here's where we ended up--and the little flat up above is the house site:

The Site.jpg

So we got down to business. First find was Buckleboy's nice old brass key. Then things started cooking with the suspender clips--five of 'em we got today. Here's one Rodeo dug:

suspender clip.jpg

Pretty soon Rodeo Recon started yelling "Take it from my hands! Tell me what it is!" We all thought he'd cut his arm off trying to dig through the dry, cow-compressed soil...but then he showed a Large Copper! Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Rodeo Recon is in the club now with his first LC. It's about time, buddy--and to think...you dug a 2 Cent Piece and a 1700s Silver before your first Large. Kudos to Rodeo on such a beautiful coin--an 1826 LC--and it is a beauty. Here are a couple of shots of his awesome copper:

Rodeo LC.jpg

Rodeo LC close-up.jpg

DiggerGirl was the Flat Button Queen--racking up on all of the buttons, including a really fine Scovill/Waterbury (1850-65) gilded two-piece civilian button. Well done, girl! :thumbsup: Buckles only got one button today--but it was a keeper. It's pewter, and Danged Old. It has a number "2" on it--but no other markings... It might be Rev. War related, and it'll get posted in the Whatzit threads.

Later on, Diggergirl got a Cool W.O.W. brass decoration ("Woodmen of the World"). Awesome find!

After that, we all kept swinging with our metal detecting passions at Red Alert Level. Here are some photos:

Digger Girl.jpg

Rodeo Recon.jpg

Buckleboy is not pictured above, because he was digging a lone .69 cal minieball and concentrating on making the next big find:

Buckles LC.jpg

Buckles LC close-up.jpg

It was yet Another Large Cent--this one is an 1825 Coronet. It's a year older, but worse for the wear and holed. Still a Great find though.

At the end of the day, we had amassed a display case worth of keepers (and another 40 pounds of IRON ::) )

Two Large Cents (1825, 1826)
Five suspender clips
pewter, brass, and glass buttons--one and two-piece
Woodmen of the World brass item
A brass key
a brass brooch
pewter and brass spoons and bits
part of a brass stirrup
one .69 cal minieball
drawer pulls
musketballs (hunting musket)
two stoneware lids to small jugs (one complete)
oil lantern pieces
one aluminum token--turn of the century
and some pretty pottery and china bits

Finds All.jpg

Here is a photo of some cool purple flowers that were everywhere throughout the pasture:

purple flowers.jpg

And now back to the finds. :wink:

Upvote 0

hoover-jr

Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XLT/Explorer II
I really do like the variety of Suspender clips that you found!!
That will make a nice display!
hoover-jr

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch said:
Colonial KirkPA said:
Buck-ee-boy, Buck-ee-boy, Buck-ee-boy, a Buck-a-boy, :D :D

If I were born a Buck-a-boy, I wouldn't be named BuckleBoy on the forum. There is only one BuckleBoy, and that is you, my main man. :D ;D

Nice site pics and coppas, dudes. :thumbsup:

Kirk

P.S. If your GPS unit suddenly blew up, could your metal datecting instincts still put you on the Iron Patch, Iron Patch Buck? :D

Hey Watch it Pueky Brewster. :D

That is frickin' hilarious, IP! :D Colonial KirkPA and I loved it :D

BuckleBoy, you are the man! :thumbsup:

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Great finds, BB! And thanks for sharing the experience.

IP, you do post some scary-a** pictures.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Great pictures and surprised you had the time to shoot with all the digging!

Buckleboy, you have inspired me to shoot a good Fall hunt and post. Four of us are planning on doing a 5 day dig so maybe that will be the one. (I will go on record saying it will be a banner post) :D

A five day dig with four detectorists? Ya, I'd say that'd be a BANNER post. :thumbsup: Something GREAT will be found with that many holes. :wink:

I'm actually inspired to make a video this fall when we hit the fields. Should be fun.

:)

That was one messy iron patch at the site. After some rain--lots of it--we'll be back. Only flat buttons and smaller items we found were in the wash-outs. And everything else was in the 8-10 inch range. Heck, the Coppers didn't even sound like coppers. So with some rain, I think we'll be able to get some more finds--and some careful picking through the iron patch. I cut through the bottom of a boot and blew it out trying to dig through the hard pack. >:( Third danged pair of nice boots I've gone through digging this year so far.

-Buckles

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
BB,
What's the round item w/chain on the right side of the first picture? FOB?

I don't really know what it is...Rodeo found it, and he found a bit of chain first--and I said "that wasn't it. It's still in the hole" and then he found another bit of chain and I said "that signal was caused by whatever was at the end of the chain." Then he dug the little medallion that was attached to the rest of the chain LOL. It might be a fob, but it's pretty late in terms of date. It doesn't look like a fob shape-wise.

We have a theory about the site...that the site was the primary residence until 1860 when the existing house was built...and then the old place was used by tenants/servants until the turn-of-the-century or so. The chain and medallion appears to have come from that era of occupation. It has a geometric design on the front, and stars on the back.

Regards,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial KirkPA said:
P.S. If your GPS unit suddenly blew up, could your metal datecting instincts still put you on the Iron Patch, Iron Patch Buck? :D

I don't think it'll blow up...I mean, it cost as much as my old-school Fisher did. But if it does, we can still find a spot like this. Some are obvious...the ones in the woods, maybe not. But as we were walking towards that site, GPS in hand, we all saw that flat there and said "Here is our site." We just knew it from eyeballing the geography--before any broken stoneware was found.

-Buck

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

Buckleboy, you have inspired me to shoot a good Fall hunt and post. Four of us are planning on doing a 5 day dig so maybe that will be the one. (I will go on record saying it will be a banner post) :D

A five day dig with four detectorists? Ya, I'd say that'd be a BANNER post. :thumbsup: Something GREAT will be found with that many holes. :wink:

I'm actually inspired to make a video this fall when we hit the fields. Should be fun.

That was one messy iron patch at the site. After some rain--lots of it--we'll be back. Only flat buttons and smaller items we found were in the wash-outs. And everything else was in the 8-10 inch range. Heck, the Coppers didn't even sound like coppers. So with some rain, I think we'll be able to get some more finds--and some careful picking through the iron patch. I cut through the bottom of a boot and blew it out trying to dig through the hard pack. >:( Third danged pair of nice boots I've gone through digging this year so far.

-Buckles

If it's anything like our hunt in 2003 you can count on it being a banner post. This was only 1 day! ;D

IP, what is the Colonial silver in that picture?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
Iron Patch said:

-Buckles

If it's anything like our hunt in 2003 you can count on it being a banner post. This was only 1 day! ;D

IP, what is the Colonial silver in that picture?

Sorry BB, maybe I shouldn't have posted that on this thread.

There were three early silver that day, 2 1720s pistareens, and a cob.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was exciting just to read your post and see the pics..I couldn't imagine how excited you all were!

Good job pulling up all those finds!

:thumbsup:
Nat

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to Rodeo Recon on the large copper. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Alot of great finds for the group. Looks like a pretty large area too. There's bound to be some more there.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
Congrats to Rodeo Recon on the large copper. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Alot of great finds for the group. Looks like a pretty large area too. There's bound to be some more there.

I'm sure there is. We think there was a barn right behind the house site (which will mean much more iron digging, but could be some nice finds), and I think the dry, compressed dirt didn't help our detection depth. Targets get tricky when the ground is so dry in terms of separating the iron from the goodies. And that was one of the craziest iron patches I've Ever seen.

We'll be back--to look for a privy and give the area a once-over again.

-Buckles

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story and finds, Glad to see still Fisher 1266X users, you couldn't pry mine from my dead body. Best relic machine I have ever used.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ReidMan said:
Nice story and finds, Glad to see still Fisher 1266X users, you couldn't pry mine from my dead body. Best relic machine I have ever used.

Thanks for the reply, ReidMan. We started a great thread on the 1266 (link below). I don't know how long you've used one, but I'd love for you to add your comments to the thread if you have a free hour or so to read it (it's pretty long).

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,166574.0.html

Good to hear from another 1266 Believer :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's an awesome day BB....My hat's off to you all,it doesn't get much better than that and only 20 ft. off. You're slacking!!!! :thumbsup: Nice Job!!!

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Awesome digs Iron Brigade!! Will,your research methods are inspiring and I'm sure you could get on to a lot of these sites with just a compass and an old map. Great job,
Jerry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread