Iron Brigade with TWO 180-Year-Old COINS.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

The IRON Brigade got permission to hunt a GREAT site today. We'd jumped through a few hoops to get permission--driving out of our way to talk to a kind older lady, then out to talk to her son, then back to the site again...but it was Well worth it. :) Let's put it this way--there were two old houses on the property, and the Newer one was built in 1860--a Giant old farmhouse. :wink: We were interested in the one that had been long gone by the time the family bought the property in the mid-60's to start with.

On deck were Rodeo Recon, DiggerGirl, and Buckleboy with all of our passions HIGH. We got our GPS coordinates and headed out into the pasture. When we got to the spot, we started scanning for signs of habitation. It didn't take long--busted stoneware pottery and old mud brick Everywhere where the rainwater had cut furrows on its way down to the creek. :thumbsup: So our coordinates were about 20 feet off. Dang. ;D Here's where we ended up--and the little flat up above is the house site:

The Site.jpg

So we got down to business. First find was Buckleboy's nice old brass key. Then things started cooking with the suspender clips--five of 'em we got today. Here's one Rodeo dug:

suspender clip.jpg

Pretty soon Rodeo Recon started yelling "Take it from my hands! Tell me what it is!" We all thought he'd cut his arm off trying to dig through the dry, cow-compressed soil...but then he showed a Large Copper! Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Rodeo Recon is in the club now with his first LC. It's about time, buddy--and to think...you dug a 2 Cent Piece and a 1700s Silver before your first Large. Kudos to Rodeo on such a beautiful coin--an 1826 LC--and it is a beauty. Here are a couple of shots of his awesome copper:

Rodeo LC.jpg

Rodeo LC close-up.jpg

DiggerGirl was the Flat Button Queen--racking up on all of the buttons, including a really fine Scovill/Waterbury (1850-65) gilded two-piece civilian button. Well done, girl! :thumbsup: Buckles only got one button today--but it was a keeper. It's pewter, and Danged Old. It has a number "2" on it--but no other markings... It might be Rev. War related, and it'll get posted in the Whatzit threads.

Later on, Diggergirl got a Cool W.O.W. brass decoration ("Woodmen of the World"). Awesome find!

After that, we all kept swinging with our metal detecting passions at Red Alert Level. Here are some photos:

Digger Girl.jpg

Rodeo Recon.jpg

Buckleboy is not pictured above, because he was digging a lone .69 cal minieball and concentrating on making the next big find:

Buckles LC.jpg

Buckles LC close-up.jpg

It was yet Another Large Cent--this one is an 1825 Coronet. It's a year older, but worse for the wear and holed. Still a Great find though.

At the end of the day, we had amassed a display case worth of keepers (and another 40 pounds of IRON ::) )

Two Large Cents (1825, 1826)
Five suspender clips
pewter, brass, and glass buttons--one and two-piece
Woodmen of the World brass item
A brass key
a brass brooch
pewter and brass spoons and bits
part of a brass stirrup
one .69 cal minieball
drawer pulls
musketballs (hunting musket)
two stoneware lids to small jugs (one complete)
oil lantern pieces
one aluminum token--turn of the century
and some pretty pottery and china bits

Finds All.jpg

Here is a photo of some cool purple flowers that were everywhere throughout the pasture:

purple flowers.jpg

And now back to the finds. :wink:

Upvote 0

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great hunt and awsome finds as always, keep up the good work buddy :thumbsup:

Mobes

Oct 4, 2007
Westmont IL
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Great post and finds. Hope you guys find lots more out there when you go back. Thats the type of day im waitin for. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Jerry said:
Awesome digs Iron Brigade!! Will,your research methods are inspiring and I'm sure you could get on to a lot of these sites with just a compass and an old map. Great job,
Jerry

Thanks buddy--that's one hell of a coin you found at your cellar hole. Such a beauty. I could tell by your post the intoxication of just finding the site--it's addictive. So addictive. :)

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Buck, are you guys going to make your way back to the Spanish silver + Militia Belt Plate Field that you hit in January 2008? I forgot about that site until you mentioned it recently.

Kyle

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Zoyboy said:
Buck, are you guys going to make your way back to the Spanish silver + Militia Belt Plate Field that you hit in January 2008? I forgot about that site until you mentioned it recently.

Kyle

Kyle,

That site was pounded to death while we hunted it, but even if there were targets remaining, I'm sure the guy who is *not* in the Iron Brigade these days has hunted it out. Pity. It was a Sweet site.

-Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zaxfire69 said:
Are you taking the GPS coordinates from say google earth and entering them into your GPS and going to those coordinates and digging? I am wondering if that is possible.

It IS possible. :wink:

If you need help, PM me.

-Buckles

IAsoldier

Apr 8, 2008
MV, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 with 11 inch coil. BLuetooth head set and Minelab pin pointer. My back is the Minelab Explorer II w/ 12 x 9 NEL coil, Minelab pinpointer and Deep woods headphones.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a nice hunt A+++++ :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread