Iron Brigade with TWO 180-Year-Old COINS.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

The IRON Brigade got permission to hunt a GREAT site today. We'd jumped through a few hoops to get permission--driving out of our way to talk to a kind older lady, then out to talk to her son, then back to the site again...but it was Well worth it. :) Let's put it this way--there were two old houses on the property, and the Newer one was built in 1860--a Giant old farmhouse. :wink: We were interested in the one that had been long gone by the time the family bought the property in the mid-60's to start with.

On deck were Rodeo Recon, DiggerGirl, and Buckleboy with all of our passions HIGH. We got our GPS coordinates and headed out into the pasture. When we got to the spot, we started scanning for signs of habitation. It didn't take long--busted stoneware pottery and old mud brick Everywhere where the rainwater had cut furrows on its way down to the creek. :thumbsup: So our coordinates were about 20 feet off. Dang. ;D Here's where we ended up--and the little flat up above is the house site:

The Site.jpg

So we got down to business. First find was Buckleboy's nice old brass key. Then things started cooking with the suspender clips--five of 'em we got today. Here's one Rodeo dug:

suspender clip.jpg

Pretty soon Rodeo Recon started yelling "Take it from my hands! Tell me what it is!" We all thought he'd cut his arm off trying to dig through the dry, cow-compressed soil...but then he showed a Large Copper! Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Rodeo Recon is in the club now with his first LC. It's about time, buddy--and to think...you dug a 2 Cent Piece and a 1700s Silver before your first Large. Kudos to Rodeo on such a beautiful coin--an 1826 LC--and it is a beauty. Here are a couple of shots of his awesome copper:

Rodeo LC.jpg

Rodeo LC close-up.jpg

DiggerGirl was the Flat Button Queen--racking up on all of the buttons, including a really fine Scovill/Waterbury (1850-65) gilded two-piece civilian button. Well done, girl! :thumbsup: Buckles only got one button today--but it was a keeper. It's pewter, and Danged Old. It has a number "2" on it--but no other markings... It might be Rev. War related, and it'll get posted in the Whatzit threads.

Later on, Diggergirl got a Cool W.O.W. brass decoration ("Woodmen of the World"). Awesome find!

After that, we all kept swinging with our metal detecting passions at Red Alert Level. Here are some photos:

Digger Girl.jpg

Rodeo Recon.jpg

Buckleboy is not pictured above, because he was digging a lone .69 cal minieball and concentrating on making the next big find:

Buckles LC.jpg

Buckles LC close-up.jpg

It was yet Another Large Cent--this one is an 1825 Coronet. It's a year older, but worse for the wear and holed. Still a Great find though.

At the end of the day, we had amassed a display case worth of keepers (and another 40 pounds of IRON ::) )

Two Large Cents (1825, 1826)
Five suspender clips
pewter, brass, and glass buttons--one and two-piece
Woodmen of the World brass item
A brass key
a brass brooch
pewter and brass spoons and bits
part of a brass stirrup
one .69 cal minieball
drawer pulls
musketballs (hunting musket)
two stoneware lids to small jugs (one complete)
oil lantern pieces
one aluminum token--turn of the century
and some pretty pottery and china bits

Finds All.jpg

Here is a photo of some cool purple flowers that were everywhere throughout the pasture:

purple flowers.jpg

And now back to the finds. :wink:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button will take a little more work:

DG Button.jpg

Key.jpg

The Woodmen of the World:

W.O.W..jpg

Suspender clips galore:

Suspender Clips.jpg

Just a little stoneware :wink:

Stoneware All.jpg

lids.jpg

Buckles' holed LC prize:

Buckles LC Cleaned.jpg

And Rodeo Recon gets some SERIOUS KUDOS for digging such a BEAUTIFUL coin:

Rodeo LC Cleaned.jpg

Regards,

The Iron Brigade

Fisher--diggin it up back when the Fresh Prince was fresh. 8)

Fisher 1266-X.jpg

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
What a great day! I'm so jealous of your location you got to hunt!!!!

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Post, Pics, and finds Buckles. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats to you and the brigade. :thumbsup:

stillgottawork

Jun 6, 2008
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and love the pics............hope you get back there again to get the rest of it..... :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures and surprised you had the time to shoot with all the digging!

Buckleboy, you have inspired me to shoot a good Fall hunt and post. Four of us are planning on doing a 5 day dig so maybe that will be the one. (I will go on record saying it will be a banner post) :D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, what a great hunt!!! :o Congrats to all three of you on a fantastic hunt.
Two super nice LC's and FIVE suspender clips!!! :thumbsup

BB,
What's the round item w/chain on the right side of the first picture? FOB?

Way to go you three, and congrats on your first LC Rodeo. :thumbsup: :icon_king:
-MM-

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent post! I really like seeing this type of post...great finds too!

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
The Iron Brigade cleaned some house on those finds. The two largies solidified that site as another one of Buckleboy's killer rasearch spots! :thumbsup:

While reading the post, I kept saying to Colonial KirkPA, "Damn, I love the area where they are hunting." :thumbsup:

Keep the fever high!

Kyle

P.S. Next time, your rasearch will place you just 1 inch away from the site. ;D

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Buck-ee-boy, Buck-ee-boy, Buck-ee-boy, a Buck-a-boy, :D :D

If I were born a Buck-a-boy, I wouldn't be named BuckleBoy on the forum. There is only one BuckleBoy, and that is you, my main man. :D ;D

Nice site pics and coppas, dudes. :thumbsup:

Kirk

P.S. If your GPS unit suddenly blew up, could your metal datecting instincts still put you on the Iron Patch, Iron Patch Buck? :D

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
THAT was a Spectacular hunt!!!
And with all of the photos, I felt like I was there,
except for no sweating, or digging,.......or finding.....never mind.
Great finds!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buckleboy. As I sit here listening to some Stevie Ray and drinking my coffee I have a question for you. I am a newbie, and a technology freak. I see where you are detecting using Gps coordinates. Could you share with me how to do this. I have the old maps of my city using sanborn, I can look at the old maps pull up google earth and match the two areas up closely. Are you taking the GPS coordinates from say google earth and entering them into your GPS and going to those coordinates and digging? I am wondering if that is possible. Man how I wish we had enough folks around my town to get together and dig. Kudos to you guys and gals that found such wonderful relics and coins. :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial KirkPA said:
Buck-ee-boy, Buck-ee-boy, Buck-ee-boy, a Buck-a-boy, :D :D

If I were born a Buck-a-boy, I wouldn't be named BuckleBoy on the forum. There is only one BuckleBoy, and that is you, my main man. :D ;D

Nice site pics and coppas, dudes. :thumbsup:

Kirk

P.S. If your GPS unit suddenly blew up, could your metal datecting instincts still put you on the Iron Patch, Iron Patch Buck? :D

Hey Watch it Pueky Brewster. :D

Attachments

• Pueky_KIRKPA_Brewster.jpg
    Pueky_KIRKPA_Brewster.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 847

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions