Iron Spike (or Chisel) age?

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks old, doesnt appear to have a head/rim on the top... found it while probing... was covered in rust so i beat it with a hammer :laughing7:
dont judge! it works really well at getting off thick amounts of rust!

IMG_2640.png IMG_2641.png IMG_2642.png

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Does the large end appear to have been broken or sheared off?

The potential uses for such a size of wedge are almost limitless. Might help to know where found, how deep, ground/soil conditions, etc. As for the rust, the use of a hammer (I would think) would be find for initial use of that much rust. Maybe now some more rust can be worked off using a steel bar edge as a scraper.

Upvote 0

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to see from your pictures, but my first thought was a railroad spike. I found part of one and wondered like you what could it be. Then I came across 15 spikes. I would continue searching in that area for more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to see from your pictures, but my first thought was a railroad spike. I found part of one and wondered like you what could it be. Then I came across 15 spikes. I would continue searching in that area for more.

I was thinking that to, but railroad spikes have a head. will have to clean mine further to see if i can see more detail on the end

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

itzyoboyandrew

May 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After alot of googling i found one that looks really similar, and could have a similar head... i guess the head on mine is really small and rusted over? spike.jpg

this one was found south of a shipwreck from the 1600s... could mine be a similar time range? thoughts on this are appreciated.

EDIT:

just cleaned it more, it doesnt have a head, and doesnt appear to be broken off either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Nope, pretty sure yours held down the gumball machine at the Super S Food Store.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread