Is it possible to "make a living" metal detecting?

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
It's not a simple yes or no answer. I admire all the positive responses on here rather than the quick "nope"!..unless you wanna live in a box". If you believe you can do something, the mind is a powerful weapon that can make you do anything and everything imaginable, and accomplish it. Those. A lot of people are afraid to say what they want and that's why they don't get what they want. It's possible, as I believe anything is possible. People have forgotten how to dream.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather taught me a lil wisdom years ago when i was a wee whippersnapper gone fishing with him.

I was down on my luck fishing flounder, wasnt get nay a bite with mud minners. but i was catching some kinda fish, i forget what they are now, basically pearch of the sea.

So i told gramps about it and asked if i were to cut em up and use them for bait if i would catch more.

he sorta chuckled and paused for a moment like he usually did when he was going to say something important but had to think about how to say it.

He said "well boy, you wont ever know for sure if you dont try now willya?"

it is one of the most profound things he ever said to me. Of course i didnt know it then and i just went and tried it and caught the hollar out of some crabs.

If this question had of been about making a living off crabs, I would say you darn skippy you can, but you sure wont ever know unless you try.

Last edited:

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had kept everything that was even remotely valuable from my 26 years of metal detecting and sold it all right now, I MIGHT have enough money to eek out a living for a couple of years.

P.S. I would have to sell my house (couldn't afford the property tax), sell my truck (and buy that '67 Buick G.I.B. mentioned) and my wife would probably leave me. Other than that..........

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
care to share?not who...but how and how well?

Oh sorry haha. I was in a rush! He owns his own relic shop, rents out detectors, and takes people out to spots so they can try detecting (for a cost)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've retired from full time detecting this year which means rather than 5/6 days I've cut it to 2. You do need a range of detectors and be prepared to flit to the sun each winter when the ground starts to freeze. I also recommend a camper/motorhome thats big enough to carry you in comfort but small enough to be able to squeeze onto the edges of fields then you charm the farmer to allow you to set up on the field your searching. I've doubled the water tank capacity and added more solar panels but still have to hit a commercial camp site at least once a fortnight to top up water and batteries.

Beaches can be a god send to pay everyday bills/fuel with the big plus of rings. Best to sell these privately if you can. Commercially I've one place in the whole country I sell silver to and another for gold. Both are a few hundred miles away.

As others have mentioned before giving up your job you need to clear any loans and make certain you live in a country thats not going to tax you on your finds and provides free medical treatment. Plus be helpful to other detectorists. Much cheaper to stay with someone in another country and then have them visit you later.

DigginYella

Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old post-but i was curious what ppl thought on the subject -so i searched it, but on the topic of physically metal detecting for a living I think its entirely possible,PLUS IF YOU : added in all the others aspects of the "metal detecting hobby" definately!!
here's why-I think that if: you already have a better than average ability and understand of all aspects of your craft & the right tools (just like anyone whom would start a business ,or pursue your dream)have all the "stuff" you need for such an endeavor and put in 10+hrs a day,and used all the time you spend *****ing about work and others employees, customers etc., just doing research and networking.

I see some talking about ..."that would take the fun out of metal detecting" SO-to think giving up the 9-5(which a person obv. is not happy with, to even be thinking of a life change) and following a passion and something we may love will "Take the fun out of it" is silly.
MOST the people on here,that are being sarcastic in a funny way, i assume, are still, nay sayers...and also swinging the most expensive detectors there is, hmmm? All the things that we buy from bobby pins to mansions ,someone or many people are making a % of your money-so by having payments on : a nice car,big house all the gadgets and gizmos--arts crafts-collectables-etc ..companies love you--your making them rich,so why not you, with things unearthed!!

I think you could do it,
If you maximized every $ per item, I mean every item(now this is where most could never make it MDing for a living)
here is my thinking:10 steps

1- JUNK- know what garbage and what is not --you need to dig everyday big iron,copper,brass objects in older sites -know what the are & restore the good stuff....then sell it!IE. ford model A or T parts-desirable rustic art-old tractor,car motorcycle bike wagon pedal car parts-fireplace or other home ornamental pieces--that kind of items.BTW you may have to make a lamp or use some imagination for a good return!(this goes back to knowing ALL aspects your craft,not just sweet a dime signal lets dig it)

2- wasting time--don't wonder what the target is,rely on your research and just dig it! I see so many people taking forever hitting from diff directions pondering,wondering...What it is?---just dig it and move on,success for that day may be a numbers game!

3- TIME-save the obvious parks beaches etc. for fillers-when you must find something, gas money, food, drink etc., theres always enuff for that, in a short amount of time!best places get the most of your time!!Just tough it out, if you think something big is there...stay till you find it!!

4- Jewelry---get the word spot price out your head with silver-esp jewelry-it is somewhat pricey to buy & some makers are very desirable-Navajo -Tiffany-and many many others-that get a premium,so make sure you look into the marks on the jewelry--when you know the designer etc..gives you more selling ammo.And anything wearable and gold--buff it clean it so It looks like new--you will be amazed what a price jump--when it looks untouched!!!

5- coins-All old coins are collectable by someone, learn to clean them the best you can without hurting them and sell them on a private market(look up every old coin for poss errors,low mintages,transitions etc this applies to "modern coinage " as well:know the potential in every coin!!

6-equipment-take care of you stuff! Get the extended warranty if new-and if not know somewhere to send it --dont call 10 people to finally find out where to send it. You must have more than 1 detector --you really need and arsenal-for about any situation.(heres where of the preparedness of the career change and business start up comes into play-you wldnt start making a living off carpentry if you only had 1 hammer and 1 saw,you will have all the equip necc.

7-Make a detecting route to ensure you are the most effieceint you can be!lost time has to be made up or bought!

8- Have plan but be flexible-take advantage of the opprotunity at the time of an opprotunity! Ie your detecting in an old park with old houses all around and there 20 people there with 2 cars--look who poss walked there and lives right around and strike up a conversation!yes you will have to actually talk with someone--not just googled maps and forums find spots!Or you driving and see something being torn out--stop and detect it! No one type of Detecting will pay all the bills you must be diverse in your recovery locations and median.

9-Have persistence, If you have the kind of work ethic that is: Its too early or too cold ...or its sat. or too hot in this desert--why do I have to work-or its kinda rainy.....no matter the weather conditions or your problem ,the fact that people have been dropping things since we have had hands--will never change because of bad weather or laziness...just like a good job--you get up and go no matter what!!

10- From earth to market-Society and money is based on a "what you can you do for me or how much you can accomplish within a certain amount of time: is what your worth!
So in order to base your monetary situation, on a strictly commerce based living, will require you to evolve in to a salesman a marketeer as well as a dirt digging history buff that will not quit!!But You can live(whatever your idea of living is) off metal detecting..of course!!how well and to what comfort level ,I think depends on your abilities and work ethic--just like any other means to make a living!

So for all you dreamers out there--If it is your dream --the hard part is done,You've dreamed it --now just realize it!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hate to base my house payment or my next meal on detecting..... Wife likes sleeping in a house vs cardboard box and she doesn't eat fast food...

It would be a job rather than a pleasure.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I say yes, absolutely. Not only can you make a good living, you might even become rich. ( Who am I to shoot downs someone's dream.)

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well maybe if you had the best machine and great spots to hunt then........ No still couldn't do it.

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No.

You will probably never pay for your detector through finds either, despite claims by the MD'ing manufacturers marketing departments. They sell dreams and we buy them all too happily.

Alternatively, it takes only one big score to strike it rich in this hobby. The odds are stacked against you, but millions play the lottery each week and I'd put my odds with a quality metal detector up against the typical Powerball junky any day of the week. Metal detecting is a whole lot more fun than handing the Kwick-E-Mart clerk a dollar whether you strike it rich or not.

DigginYella

Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hate to base my house payment or my next meal on detecting..... Wife likes sleeping in a house vs cardboard box and she doesn't eat fast food...

It would be a job rather than a pleasure.

Well....Wasn't that the question?
And the point.....maybe its too big of a point or topic - I dunno...but...I think when a person enjoys something beyond a just a hobby or a pleasure & will go do it no matter the circumstance and chooses to be there 45-75hrs a week plus travel. Plus every minute there,you would rather be do nothing else and are smart good at it ---I'd bet the farm you can become wealthy and healthy at the same time!!

IF....He asked, could a casual hobby I do 5 hrs a week, maybe...make me enough money to sustain a living. That would not be even worth the "ponder" & I wouldn't be typing this right now.

Make no mistake I enjoy my property and my cars and all my toys... MY TIME. If Tomorrow I decided to start my own company and my wife said ...NOway --I never gonna eat fast food while you pursue a passion or a dream or huge Idea, wouldn't be good for our team...LOL which another forum :)
But I will tell you that there were many times in my life that I did rely on Metal Detecting and other "treasure type hunting" to help pay for a need or want, as I do still obv. do TODAY!

Great topic!! Never mind the finds,I guarantee there is someone out there that could think of something brilliant for monetary gains galore--just with all the trash we dig!

DigginYella

Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No.

You will probably never pay for your detector through finds either, despite claims by the MD'ing manufacturers marketing departments. They sell dreams and we buy them all too happily.

Alternatively, it takes only one big score to strike it rich in this hobby. The odds are stacked against you, but millions play the lottery each week and I'd put my odds with a quality metal detector up against the typical Powerball junky any day of the week. Metal detecting is a whole lot more fun than handing the Kwick-E-Mart clerk a dollar whether you strike it rich or not.

I just paid for metal detector again last week!

DigginYella

Nov 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say yes, absolutely. Not only can you make a good living, you might even become rich. ( Who am I to shoot downs someone's dream.)

Thats how I feel --Why not.....kim Kardashian and Paris hilton multiple boy bands--instantly come to mind!LOL

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well....Wasn't that the question?
And the point.....maybe its too big of a point or topic - I dunno...but...I think when a person enjoys something beyond a just a hobby or a pleasure & will go do it no matter the circumstance and chooses to be there 45-75hrs a week plus travel. Plus every minute there,you would rather be do nothing else and are smart good at it ---I'd bet the farm you can become wealthy and healthy at the same time!!

IF....He asked, could a casual hobby I do 5 hrs a week, maybe...make me enough money to sustain a living. That would not be even worth the "ponder" & I wouldn't be typing this right now.

Make no mistake I enjoy my property and my cars and all my toys... MY TIME. If Tomorrow I decided to start my own company and my wife said ...NOway --I never gonna eat fast food while you pursue a passion or a dream or huge Idea, wouldn't be good for our team...LOL which another forum :)
But I will tell you that there were many times in my life that I did rely on Metal Detecting and other "treasure type hunting" to help pay for a need or want, as I do still obv. do TODAY!

Great topic!! Never mind the finds,I guarantee there is someone out there that could think of something brilliant for monetary gains galore--just with all the trash we dig!
Not busting anyone's dreams, just being realistic is all...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Factors"...
ARE the key.

Depends on the factors in your present situation...

Factors such as... but not limited to one of the following "examples"...
LIKE---
Are you the only one permitted to hunt a massively crowded... year round beach ? where YOU and only YOU have exclusivity ?

If you answered yes... Then yes you may make a good living. :)

Do you also own the "beach rake machine" that is combing the sand as you metal detect...
If yes....
Then you may make a decent living...

DO you... regularly find rare or gold coins on a "day by day" or even a "week by week" basis... the if yes... you will make a GREAT living...

Do you have a permit to MD possible wreck/treasure areas with a "contractual" agreement that binds you to a percentage(s) of items found...
You MAY.... repeat MAY...
Make a meager... to AWSOME living...
With a LARGE spanse inbetween those 2. heh

Depends largely on what your definition of "good living" is ... :)

Juice in the hole

Mar 22, 2014
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just paid for metal detector again last week!

And that's why I highlighted the word probably for the lucky folks who were able to produce enough quality finds to pay off the cost of their detector. Not saying it isn't impossible, just unlikely. Congrats BTW! Can you elaborate on what your valuable find was?

I gave the local tot lot a shot last week and dug 17¢ worth of pennies and a single thin dime. My finds here on the farm are far more valuable but never in the realm of paying of a detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread