Is mining dead in the United States?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Value of U.S. Mineral Production Increases

The estimated value of mineral production increased in the United States in 2014, despite the decline in price for most precious metals, the U.S. Geological Survey announced today in its Mineral Commodity Summaries 2015.

The estimated value of mineral raw materials produced at mines in the United States in 2014 was $77.6 billion, an increase of 4.6 percent from $74.2 billion in 2013.

The estimated value of U.S. metal mine production in 2014 was $31.5 billion, slightly less than that of 2013. These raw materials and domestically recycled materials were used to process mineral materials worth $697 billion. These mineral materials, including aluminum, brick, copper, fertilizers, and steel, plus net imports of processed materials (worth about $41 billion) were, in turn, consumed by industries that use minerals to create products, with a value added to the U.S. economy of an estimated $2.5 trillion in 2014.

I dunno... it sure looks like mining is thriving.

2.5 Trillion is about 15% of the GDP of the United States! :thumbsup:

Read the rest of the USGS Report Mineral Commodity Summaries 2015

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doe Run hasn't been forced out of the country. ???

Doe Run Resources Corporation is the largest integrated lead producer in North America and the largest primary lead producer in the western world. That hasn't changed. The United States is the third largest lead producer in the world. We produce and refine more than 400,000 metric tons per year.

Doe Run employs more than 1400 people in Missouri alone. There were 145 layoffs last year. Not closed. They are closing their smelter built in 1882 but keeping open the more modern one in Southern Missouri. Most lead used today is recycled so there's not much profit in fresh mined lead when it requires keeping a 133 year old smelter running.

Heavy Pans

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After what I read today, (i'll post it up in different thread), I say if a state does not want to mine or drill, then they deserve no benefit from those who do. Let the leeches starve to death.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread