Is the Omega unstable?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been looking at the Omega detector and from what I have seen on different Youtube videos, it seems very unstable from EMI. It seems like a very good machine however, I don't think I can listen to endless chatter. From what I've seen the thing goes crazy at times. Even the moderators say it is a drawback. How can you tell the difference between a good target and trash if it does that? It also seems like the Fishers are unstable also. I own a Fisher CZ5 and it is very stable. So how do you deal with that endless chatter?

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a omega but I have a t2 which they say the same thing about it. If you run the sense too high its unstable turn it down and it will quiet down. Seems the teknetics go into overdrive similar to supertuning a tesoro with sense to high.

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a gamma which is a step below the omega (I believe) and when I first went out with mine it went berserk and I couldn't tell what was going on. Asked on this site about it and was told to turn down the sensitivity but only to where it got stable then creep it back up until it was as high as it would go without going bonkers. Worked perfect. Haven't had a problem with it again even in my backyard which has more junk buried in it then a landfill!

Whimpster

Jan 30, 2013
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Teknetics G2
E-Trac
Tesoro,Bandido II uMax,Silver uMax,Silver Sabre uMax
Tesoro,Eldorado small plastic box.
Compadre 8" coil ,Compadre 5.75"coil.
Tesoro Golden uMax new and old tone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your right on GarbageBill with your assessment on the Omega 8000.....I've had one for about a year now and truly love the machine.Yes it has some EMI issues but once you learn how to setup for the area your detecting it works well.
I do the same thing with the Omega,if it's a bit chattery I crank back the sensitivity until it quiets down and then bump it back up until I can still work with it.It all depends where you hunt..most of my areas are in the country and have no EMI issues but if you are hunting in and around power lines or town and city parks or athletic fields my Omega will become a bit chattery and it needs to be turn down a bit.
Hunting country fields,farms and wooded areas I run it at 99 sen and 16 dis.In and around parks or sport fields I run it at 50 to 75 sen and 16 dis depending on EMI issues.
I also have the 5"DD coil and the new 10" DD as well as the "11 DD all coils do well on the Omega but my favorite one would have to be the new 10" DD for a all around coil...it go's deep and gets great separation in iron and pinpoints well.
The 5"DD is deadly on coins and jewelery in spots that you can't use a bigger coil.
I just ordered the 13" Detech DD coil we'll see how it does on the Omega....
For the money the Omega is a great all around mid entry machine and is a does very well on coins down to 8" to 9" in my soil here in Nova Scotia.
I also have a G2 which is a great detector as well and I can interchange the same coils with the Omega.
Good luck in your quest Newfiehunter :)

I have a gamma which is a step below the omega (I believe) and when I first went out with mine it went berserk and I couldn't tell what was going on. Asked on this site about it and was told to turn down the sensitivity but only to where it got stable then creep it back up until it was as high as it would go without going bonkers. Worked perfect. Haven't had a problem with it again even in my backyard which has more junk buried in it then a landfill!

Last edited:

ezer19

May 19, 2013
Germany / Saxony-Anhalt
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Teknetics Omega 8000 10'' / 12x13 NEL
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After about a half Year using the omega i can tell you the Maschine works very well. The 10 inch coil is my favorite. I also have a larger coil, use it for "cleaner" areas. Separating trash from goods is hard - like on every other device i think. I always let iron in and skipping foil. The iron indicator (Sound, Display) tells you a lot about your target. Swing from different positions and you learn to see whats in the ground before you dig ;)

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great post! The Teknetics Omega 8000 is an AWESOME machine for the $. If you set sensitivity at 80 it will calm right down if in bad EMI areas.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone, thanks for the info. I was watching the Youtube videos and the constant erratic static and bouncing of the visual id concerned me. The Omega is one machine I will consider. It seems like it has great depth which is impressive!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I recently bought a used Omega & haven't taken it anywhere yet, except the back yard, where there are power lines at back of lot. It made some noise at sensitivity 60, but not at sensitivity 55. I could turn the sensitivity down to 30 & still get ID from dime planted 5" deep and this with the 11" DD. The 10" concentric would most likely handle EMI even better. Also, for a few $$ you can buy a snap-on EMI filter that I'm told usually helps. I see them on that big auction site. Best wishes, George (MN)

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Newfiehunter
At high sensitivity the Omega will chatter when not in motion ..it`s a race horse and wants to run...once you start to swing it, become very stable and very deep in my soil...every bit as deep as my Fisher CZ-5, and better in Iron.
Gary

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good comments. I got mine in August and absolutely love it. I haven't had the issues with EMI reported here andI run 99 sens with stock coil all the time, but mostly in wooded areas, although often near power lines. Have been afraid to go to DD coils and have pinpointing complications as I did when I got the dd coil for my BH Platinum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread