Is the Sand Shark light?

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depends on what you consider light, the Sand Shark weighs in at 4.5 pounds per the info I have available (comparison chart from Tesoro). It is much heavier than my Garrett Ace (2.8 pounds) and I felt the difference after using it for 4 hours last weekend.
Cliff

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
The Sand Shark is a bit weighty compared to the Micromax series, so, if you are using a micromax and your arms are screaming then a few hours with the S/SHK and yer arms will be begging to be cut off.. I am used to swinging heavy detectors, so 3, 5 or 6lb does not bother me. Don't worry, your arm will soon toughen up and you will soon be swing it all day long.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you guys toucher yourself with the weight with the detector on the shaft? I mount mine in a bag around my neck to get the weight off the arm. It is made heavy because it is a water detector good for dives down to 200 foot way deeper than I used to dive. Ever wonder why the Tiger and Sand Shark has that extra long coil cable?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use the harness we talked about in the other thread it will help your arm a great deal. It takes at least 75% of the weight off your arm muscles and is supported by your shoulder muscles which are usually a lot stronger. You adjust the bungee so your coil is just off the ground and your arm is just guiding the coil rather than supporting and guiding it.

Was that your first hunt or are you just starting out? Just like any excercise your going to be sore when you first start out hunting, and believe me, detecting is excercise. Do a little smartbell workout, it will tone your arms and give you strength for hunting...

I can hunt dawn to dusk, and yes I am a little sore afterwards, even with the harness but it isn't anything I can't live with.....There is always IBUPROFIN.. :laughing7:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
missmetaldetectingdiva said:
My arms are still killing me from my 6 hour detecting Sunday. I just ordered the Teroso Sand Shark. Is this a light md?? My arms are still screaming from Sunday. :'(

LOL! :hello: Your arms will thank you in six-weeks! Like the experienced hunters here have said, belt or chest mount the box if you are petite. I mount the box up high (Minelab style), which gives me good balance in the surf, and on the wet sand. You will LOVE your Sand Shark! :hello2:

Attachments

• jba16.jpg
    jba16.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 228
  • jba16.jpg
    jba16.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 219

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck no it isn't light. :D

I mounted mine on my waist and was much happier.

Swung it all day that way.

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
AAHHHH, yer all a bunch of wussy pussies.

The only reason I chest mount my Sov is so that I can operate the controls more easily while swinging.
I donot bother to chest mounting my Infinium and can swing that for 6 to 8 hours straight. I have been detecting almost every day for 48 years though so I guess that helps a bit.
I can remember going through a spell of RSI for about 12 months but it eventually cleared up on its own accord. Your body is designed for hard work and if you donot work it then it will turn to slush.
I broke an ankle once but didn't want to end up on crutches for several months so I strapped it up myself and kept on walking on it (carefully), I reckon that ankle is stronger now than my good ankle.
So what I am saying is that if you work through the pain your body/arms will be better for it.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adrian SS said:

The only reason I jest mount my Sov is so that I can operate the controls more easily while swinging.
I donot bother to chest mounting my Infinium and can swing that for 6 to 8 hours straight. I have been detecting almost every day for 48 years though so I guess that helps a bit.
I can remember going through a spell of RSI for about 12 months but it eventually cleared up on its own accord. Your body is designed for hard work and if you donot work it then it will turn to slush.
I broke an ankle once but didn't want to end up on crutches for several months so I strapped it up myself and kept on walking on it (carefully), I reckon that ankle is stronger now than my good ankle.
So what I am saying is that if you work through the pain your body/arms will be better for it.

Yeah, and when they're replacing your rotator cuff in 10 years because its completely shot, don't come whining to us. ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adrian SS said:

The only reason I jest mount my Sov is so that I can operate the controls more easily while swinging.
My son died from a broken ankle and a blood clot. Keep it up.........

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The only rotor I have had to replace is the one in my Fairlanes distributor.
If a blood clot was going to form then it would have been more likely if my leg was in a cast than if it was just strapped up and I kept the leg muscles moving. I will admit though that right now I am struggling to find a part of my body that does not ache and being old and decrepid, I donot think Working through the pain is going to help much these days :sad1:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
My son died from a broken ankle and a blood clot. Keep it up.........

OMG! :'( Prayers and love Sandman!

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adrian SS said:
The only rotor I have had to replace is the one in my Fairlanes distributor.

And I sincerely hope it stays that way. :wink:

Sandman, I had no idea. That is horrible news.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had surgery on my left rotatorcuff due to it being torn in 2 locations in 2002, then surgery on my right shoulder for large bone spurs cutting muscles in my shoulder in 2009... Neither one was fun and both had a long recovery period of over 6 months each.....Long time to be out of work.......

Do what ever you can to avoid damaging your rotatorcuff or shoulder, believe me you do not want to have to go through it.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread