Is there anyone here that hasnt been to a Drive-Inn?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Is there anyone here that hasn't been to a Drive-Inn?

I used to drive in alone with 3 friends in the trunk. ;D

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

You might get arrested for that nowadays. :D I do remember being a kid and going to a couple with my parents.Wasn't old enough for a car
and missed out on the "action" you guys got into back then. ;)

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I went to a drive-in last year... and all I found was scattered metal. They tore the place down some years back...

Yeah, I know you're not talking about detecting... but that's the only experience I've had. ;)

Bran <><

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i saw animal house, slap shot, and another i forgot i/we feel asleep ::)
with my parents
it was the first time me and my brother saw a "naked girl" ;D
we used to go all the time when my parents were married :-\
also saw young Frankenstein :D :D
we would go to the MC D's get loaded up on food (huge bag of burgers for 4 of us)
have a 6 pack of R.C. in bottles (when it was made of sugar,not that sh!t corn syrup )
my dad would pop the crowns off with the seat belt catch (the eye in the lap belt)
and we would bask in the warm glow of the light unfolding from the screen
in the back of his '69 dodge super bee (what a kick ass car) 8)
thanks for the walk threw my childhood
turned to crap after the parents split
but it was nice remembering the good times :)

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia

I went a lot back in the 60's .
The one most memorable trip was when the drive in switched from the speakers you take off the pole and hang on your car window to FM transmitter. You were supposed to tune your car radio to an FM channel but my old car radio was AM only , so we had to roll the windows down on a chilly night and try to hear the car radios around us >:(
Clint Eastwood's guns sounded like they had silencer's on them ;D

Doozis

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005

All the time, 'way back in the day.

Even watched a movie there once. ;)

acedigger

Aug 20, 2007
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, Ace 250

Never have. I have seen lots of old run down locations where they once stood. There are a few places nearby that still have them. My wife and I should go check them out. I think they are in Gatesville and Weatherford.
They were a big part in American teenage history. ;D

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Does that bring back some memories. We had two Drive-In’s in my hometown. One was of the regular variety, showing G rated movies. Then there was the new fangled X rated drive-in. Well, being 16, you know which one all the guys wanted to check out. It had an age restriction, of course, but one in our group knew the owner. Soooo, one Sat. night we ventured to the Drive-In. Pulled up to pay for our tickets..the guy looked in and here was a car load of “guys”…Not cool..lol. He took the money and off we went to find a “prime” parking spot. Over those little mounds of dirt..then we spotted the most perfect location..right in the middle towards the front. It was dusk dark but still could see pretty good. Parked the car and grabbed for the speaker…then there came a shrill voice from the backseat…We all looked at this guy and he had the look of shear horror on his face…then he mumbled “that’s my mom and dad in the car right next to us”….Glad they were too busy to look our way..fired up the car and headed to the back row..lol Oh what days those were..lol

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Went to several when we were teens.Including a couple that showed XXX movies!! ;D was always cheaper to go to the drive in and see 2 movies for a little more than one at the sit down theater.....
Not to many left around here that are active.
some of them can be pretty productive for detecting...

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep been to some.Some for watching the movie,some for partying,some for other things.Not many around anymore.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Back in the day! :o You are making me look old! We still have Drive In theatres here at nite and flea market in the daytime 7 days a week at the Swap Shop Thunderbird Theatre! ;D
http://www.floridaswapshop.com/

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

been to thunderbird theatre myself. unfortunately my car is one of those with daytime running lights (headlights you cant shut off). what a pain that was.... having to dive under the dash and search for the headlight fuse while on a date.

zlathim

Mar 8, 2007
Boise, ID
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I've been to them a bunch of times. As kids, we lived in a trailer park right next to a Drive In Theater. We snuck in all the time and walked around until they caught us and booted us out. Other times we would sneek in just far enough to turn the speakers closest to the fence up to full blast so we could hear as well as see the movie.

Later on when we started driving we would sneek people in the trunks of cars. My sisters boyfriend had a car that you could access the trunk by folding the rear seat forward. It didn't get any easier than that. Good times, thanks for bringing up the memories.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

As a kid there was a drive-in 8 miles from my house. A friend and I would sneak out and ride our bikes over to the place and sit outside the fence and watch the movies. You couldn't always hear everything that was going on but hey we did get to watch a LOT of free movies that way.

There is an old one nearby that I have been trying to track the owner of down to ask for permission to hunt. Probably won't find anything but you never know.

jddave79

Aug 22, 2007
Northern,WV
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Garrett ACE250

Theres a drive-in about half an hour from my house in WV.....My wife and I try to go a couple times in the spring. Last time we went we watched shrek 2 and some other not so great movie....but we still had fun sitting on the blanket in front of our car.

HH -JD in WV

R

robert roy

There is a drive inn near me that is still in operation. Not much good for metal detecting however. The parking is all asphalt or concrete.

Robert roy

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

There used to be three here, all are closed now. There was an A&W Car hop right across the street from the one out in Glenwood we used to get Burgers and root beer floats from before we headed on over. We'd double date or even sometimes triple in the old Dodge Dart I had, they charged by the carload.
One gal got ticked off at her boyfriend at the time and tossed his promise ring out the back window, LOL! I know there a couple broken necklaces out there somewhere, too. ::)

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

hey you guys are onto something here....

how many rings have been tossed in the bushes at the local "inspiration point" when one lover catches the other playing the field?

Skifisher

Apr 17, 2007
Anaheim, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX

re-tek said:
been to thunderbird theatre myself. unfortunately my car is one of those with daytime running lights (headlights you cant shut off). what a pain that was.... having to dive under the dash and search for the headlight fuse while on a date.

So....THATS what you were doing ;D ;D Now that is funny.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread