Is there anyone here that hasnt been to a Drive-Inn?

Foose

Apr 12, 2007
Fayetteville, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 & Garrett Ace 250
Re: Is there anyone here that hasn't been to a Drive-Inn?

Great topic . . . I used to love to go to the drive-in with my parents. That was one of our "family fun night" rituals. The drive-in we went to years ago had closed down for years. They re-opened it 5-6 years ago, but now it is a haven for drug dealers. It's sad. The place I remember as a kid being a spot for a fun family night out is now home to every low life dealer and junkie in the area.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon

bigcypresshunter said:
I used to drive in alone with 3 friends in the trunk. ;D

OH YEA! I rode in the trunk many times, lol There are still two drive inn's open (well, they were open when I moved from Grand Blanc) around Flint, Michigan. US 23 Drive Inn on Fenton road between Hill road and Maple road. The is also Mircle Twin Drive Inn. You can see it off of I-69 by Belsey road.

I remember going to the drive inn to see ET when it first came out. LOL I aslo remember in high school, my buddy pulled away and broke his window because he forgot about the speaker, LOL

Ahhhhhhhh. good times, good times ;D

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We had two. Did the trunk thing as well, sometimes replacing someone with a beer ball or such..... Great places to hang out with friends cheap. I miss them, I'd still go. I bet you could do a good biz reviving one, hum maybe I'll sell my business 8)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

man the drive in was so much fun! we would load up the car with drinks and it was party time! we used to go a lot when i was in high school, then one by one all of the drive ins closed down. times changed i guess and it became too much of a liability to stay open. they really were fun though. its a shame that today's kids wont know what they were like.

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II

SC_hunter said:
We all looked at this guy and he had the look of shear horror on his face…then he mumbled “that’s my mom and dad in the car right next to us”….Glad they were too busy to look our way..fired up the car and headed to the back row..lol Oh what days those were..lol

lol...I was reading ahead and about to lmao.."that’s my mom and dad"....

I was thinking they were the stars of the screen for a second there :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Been to Many all nighters in the past.

Don't remember seeing any movies there though.

They still have Alnighters at the Gratz Theatre.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

acedigger said:
Never have. I have seen lots of old run down locations where they once stood. There are a few places nearby that still have them. My wife and I should go check them out. I think they are in Gatesville and Weatherford.
They were a big part in American teenage history. ;D

Great now I'm getting called historic. :D :D :D

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30

No need to just reminisce, go to http://www.drive-ins.com/, type in your zip code and find one near you. This site also will give you the current locations and photos of closed locations. Good for MDer's research. I found one about an hour from me that shows double-features on two screens for $7.00 a person. Most are closed for the season but I recommend checking it out for a great family night or for just you and your gal to relive the back row experience!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat

OK, who here is from Joisey?

The first drive in in the world was opened in 1933 in Camden, New Jersey-

Camden Drive-In
Admiral Wilson Boulevard
Camden, NJ 08104

http://www.drive-ins.com/theater/njcamd

Nice site there Poor! Thanks for the link! :)

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

Ralph+I pretty much spent the 60's at the drive in.
Wish I had a buff nickel for all the movies we didn't watch :)

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I remember the last time I went to one in Exton, PA around 79 or 80 to see the "Hooters" Band do a show and a video. I think it was the year MTV started?

Brian

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I posted this site in another topic and thought this would be a good spot to give it again. It is for finding Drive-Inns in every state.

http://www.driveintheater.com/drivlist.htm

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

When our local driveinns were still operating they had taken care of that sneaking stuff. They established a per car price and eliminated the need to sneak in. They also put 12 feet of tire claws across the exit so you couldn't sneak in the back way.

I remember those days

OD

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

baspinall said:
I remember the last time I went to one in Exton, PA around 79 or 80 to see the "Hooters" Band do a show and a video. I think it was the year MTV started?

Brian

I remember that Video very well.

[youtube=425,350]DOoU_0PAKoI[/youtube]

And you may be right on MTV just starting or at least Very New.

and the Hooters.

My favorite song by them was "All you Zombies"

[youtube=425,350]8U3rO0GbEhI[/youtube]

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Growing up in the 60's, Drive in movies were great! ;D

Had many a date there, best ones were in my van. ;)

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro

re-tek said:
hey you guys are onto something here....

how many rings have been tossed in the bushes at the local "inspiration point" when one lover catches the other playing the field?

I found a plated mans ring in the bushes here in Lexington and 2 roosevelt dimes and many many bottlecaps and pulltabs.

bwilly36

Apr 1, 2005
Marion, IA

There is a drive in still in business about an hour from home here. We have taken the kids to it a few times. The double feature has whole weekends that both movies are kid friendly...they love pulling into the parking spot backwards & "camping" out of the back of the minivan...popcorn, sodas, sandwiches, blankets. But it is tough to get any cuddle time with the missus with 4 younguns hanging around. Bit I suppose that is how we ended up with 4 in the first place.

DFXDon

Aug 27, 2007
West St. Paul Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision V3i, GMT, and X-Terra 705, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;D ;D ;D Does that bring back memories, Wrap the kids up to keep them warm and go and enjoy a show But wouldn't you know the son would start fussing and crying until you had to leave and the minuet you started the car and started to move he would fall a sleep it happened every time. he is 53 now not a peep out of him now.
DFXDon ::) ::) ::) ::)

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I used to work the drive-in around here. Oh Boy, that was 34 yrs ago, just a lad of 16. During intermission we used to have to walk car to car collecting for, I think it was the March of Dimes. The thing I used to see.... :o
we also got pretty good at telling that a car was riding low and would follow the car in the van we had there. If we were playful we would just sit behind the car, let them know we were there and wait for the screams from the trunk to "LET US OUT'. Oh............ those were the days. Ahhh, their all gone now around here, Malls take their place.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread