Is this a great metal detector find or what?

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also love to treasure hunt thrift stores, though they are more astute at plucking the good finds for their online sales anymore. I was visiting a newly reopened shop called Samaritan's Store and was looking around the small tools for gear when I heard a familiar beep-beep-beep. Looking back, I saw a working emerging from the back room air testing a metal detector. I moved to where he was and picked it up as soon as he put it on display. It's a Fisher F2 it excellent condition, but look at the price: $5!! It had 2 new 9-volt Duracells in it that cost more than that! I was as excited as I've been with almost any find I've pulled out of the dirt. :laughing7:

Here's what I got:

F2 1.JPG
F2 2.JPG

I love the F2 and can't wait to field test this one!

Upvote 29

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! I mean of course $5 on a F2 is incredible - but the fact that you were able to find one in a thrift store.. I haven't been so lucky to find a modern detector at a steal anywhere! Sounds like everything is probably in order and you've got yourself a new machine :)

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible! I mean of course $5 on a F2 is incredible - but the fact that you were able to find one in a thrift store.. I haven't been so lucky to find a modern detector at a steal anywhere! Sounds like everything is probably in order and you've got yourself a new machine :)

Tried it on a buried copper cent, clad quarter, and silver quarter, all between 3 and 6 inches and it picked them up perfectly. Now I just have to explain to my wife why I need 2 of them... :tongue3:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
never pass up on a buy like that, makes a great back up or even a gift. you never know what you will find in a thrift shop

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried it on a buried copper cent, clad quarter, and silver quarter, all between 3 and 6 inches and it picked them up perfectly. Now I just have to explain to my wife why I need 2 of them... :tongue3:

Just explain the simple rule of two is better than one...

Then segue to that show "sister wives" :laughing7:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Cool find. Well worth the $5!
Tell her it didn't cost as much as those shoes or pocketbook and then run before she can hit you with the fry pan. LOL :laughing7:
F2 = Week sleeping on couch... Deal or No Deal?

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. Well worth the $5!
Tell her it didn't cost as much as those shoes or pocketbook and then run before she can hit you with the fry pan. LOL :laughing7:
F2 = Week sleeping on couch... Deal or No Deal?

Ha - she agreed it's a great deal -- she just wants me to sell it for what it's worth! I agree with the comment Dirtlooter made that a backup is always a good idea. I plan on just keeping it in my car for when I pass by one of those places that looks too good to resist trying out!

OP
OP
Javadroid

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky devil with that find!

It's been a bizarre month for me! I found this and the gold liberty head dollar in my avatar picture this month, and do feel tremendously LUCKY for both. I guess luck is being in the right place at the right time, but the more we all stay at it, the luckier we are, don't you think?!

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha - she agreed it's a great deal -- she just wants me to sell it for what it's worth! I agree with the comment Dirtlooter made that a backup is always a good idea. I plan on just keeping it in my car for when I pass by one of those places that looks too good to resist trying out!

That will make a good backup machine or travel unit or one to let a friend use when trying out Detecting.
Glad to hear she didn't chuck the fry pan at you!

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
What a fantastic month!
Yes, you should keep it as a backup detector. Having a spare is also a great way to introduce friends who have never detected before to the hobby. After showing them your gold dollar it shouldn't take much convincing! I hope the lucky streak continues for you!!!

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, the F2 was my first detector, and I've found more than $5 in clad in a single day with one. Way to go on the good timing and sharp eye.

oldwormwood

Aug 17, 2015
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Still doing research, but I still have my Micronta (Radio Shack) 3000 from the late 1970s!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like it was just meant to be. Congratulations!

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
2 is 1
1 is none....
Old diving talk..... Great find! Back up for sure!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp