Is this mercury coated gold?

280shooter

Greenie
Jul 17, 2010
Most of the mercury/gold that I have found has been squishy. Is this a thin coat of mercury? Thanks- Denny
S7300261.jpg

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like mercury coated gold to me ! :thumbsup: :headbang: make sure to keep all coated gold separate from clean gold . :wink: is that 1 piece ,as in nugget ? or several small ones in a group ? if you look by the 70 mark you can see some gold shining.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drop your pieces of mercury coated gold into a bowl of nitric acid and DON'T BREATH THE FUMES. Do it outside, too. The acid will boil away ALL of the mercury. Then, rinse the gold in clean water and it's cleaned. Again, DO NOT BREATH the fumes.

OP
OP

280shooter

Greenie
Jul 17, 2010
It's one piece shot under a 40X shop scope. I have 4 or 5 like it plus a little ball of squishy mercury and gold. I've been seperating them and saving them until I get more. Thanks for the info.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_sunny: Be safer and just use heat to burn the mercury off-waaaaaaaaaaaaay far away from anything(especially gardens) and be up wind always-John

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Whatever you use to get the mercury off,acid/heat...clean up with baking soda and water to neutralize and bring out the patina.You'll have dull gold in most cases after using cleaning agents...Dave in the motherlode.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dave wiseman said:
Whatever you use to get the mercury off,acid/heat...clean up with baking soda and water to neutralize and bring out the patina.You'll have dull gold in most cases after using cleaning agents...Dave in the motherlode.
dave's right ,that will help, i always save mine till i get a fair amount .then do it all at one time ,then start saving for the next batch.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats multiple pieces in there,the merc "sticks them together",like that.As said whatever you use to get it off you will be left with dull gray gold,baking soda(do not use this and the shake method in a glass vial....IT WILL EXPLODE)or vinegar and salt,in a plastic vial,and shake it vigorously,it takes some time...a lot of time,but it will leave the gold bright and shiny(I dont like that,but thats how it goes)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread