Is this worth $40.?

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on craigslist, it was only a couple miles away. Paid 40 bucks. It looks like it has never been outside. The woman said her husband bought it, used it maybe 5 times and put it away. He died recently and she didn't want it. Felt kinda bad but she just wanted to get rid of it. It is one of the newer "Classics" It even has toggle pinpointing. It had fresh batteries in it so I fired it up when I got home. I think it works better than my DFX, I'm not kidding!! I don't know whether to sell it on eBay so I can buy a nice stainless water scoop or keep it as a back up. Does anyone know what it is worth? Here is a couple pics. Rich.

Attachments

• classic1.jpg
    classic1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 548
  • classic2.jpg
    classic2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 553
  • classic3.jpg
    classic3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 557
  • classic1.jpg
    classic1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 556
  • classic2.jpg
    classic2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 559
  • classic3.jpg
    classic3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
well worth it. You got a steal. It's not a particularly advanced or deep-seeking machine. In fact, it's more of a beginner's machine. But does has it's upsides over more expensive fancy units, in certain soils and environments (like in ghost town type sites working around nails and masking). You can check with dealers to see what that sells for when new, but I'm guessing close to $200-ish? So yeah, for only used 5x, you got a steal.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They usually go pretty cheap on ebay. You might get a bit more for the excellent condition it's in though. I'd say you could probably do better selling it on craigslist. $40 was a great price on it for sure. The closest detector to it still being sold would be a Classic 4 from Kellyco @ $290

The only real difference is the Classic 4 has a bigger stock coil and operates at 8khz instead of 6.59khz. There are a lot of used coils you can pick up cheap for the Classic II, the only coil options for the Classic 4 are Prizm coils.

You got it for a great price, if you want to make it even better, you can send it to Surfscanners and have Mr Bill add GB, threshold and boost the sensitivity a bit for like $80.

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started off with one of those. I actually still have it, but someone screwed with it and it doesnt work anymore. I liked the thing

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hell ya ................. you scored big time ............luck dog you ..........

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What little experience I've had buying selling similar would put a realistic minimum price in the $100 range and up. So you definitely made a good deal.
BB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions