🥇 BANNER It finally happened, a bucket lister completed !!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Did some detecting this morning with my Racer2. Any time I'm able to get out anymore is great, and this hunt was (so I thought) shaping up to be an average hunt. I found six wheaties (1913S, 1923S, 1939S, 1941S, 1942S, and a no date), two Indian heads (1881 & 1905), a buffalo (1937), a toasted ?nickel?, a nice San Francisco dog tag, albeit some 54 years newer then the one I found a couple of weeks ago, a couple of pieces of .925 silver jewelry, two 1800's San Francisco Cable Car buttons (one from the Sutter Street Railroad with a train on it, the other from the Omnibus Cable Company, also with a train on it. Both would later merge into the San Francisco Cable Car system).

I also found three silver coins, two mercs and one Washington quarter. I generally don't look at the dates on my coins until I get home, so this morning after I got back from detecting I was checking out my finds, and the one merc was in beautiful condition, but it's a common date 1942S, the silver Washington is a 1936 with a big rust blotch on the back.

Then I looked at the last coin, a worn mercury dime, and I wasn't expecting much. I checked the date, 1916, OK, OK, I've found several 1916 mercs over the years and they've all been San Francisco or no mint marks. I muttered "come on, be a Denver mint mark" as I turned it over to check, and much to my amazement, IT'S A 1916D Mercury Dime!! :hello2:

SB08.01.16.jpg 1916Dmerc.jpg 1916Dmerc-mintmark.jpg

I still cannot believe I finally bagged a 16D merc :headbang: I wish it was in as good of condition as the 1942S merc, but we take what we can get :icon_thumright:

Thanks for taking a look,
Brian

Upvote 90

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 16 d never seen one posted before, I say BANNER!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Given it's Rarity & Value I hereby Vote Banner.!!! :notworthy: I believe it will Grade Rate at VG - F, ( Very Good - Fine), Condition. Congrats. PEACE:RONB

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I'm still looking for that elusive 16-D!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Congrats! A hard coin to find.

Grade? AG3 with shot at a 4. Check out eBay completed auctions for similar coins to get rough value. Congrats again!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That is one great find. I nominated it for a Banner find. Congrats.

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

I was really shocked when I finally looked at the date and mint mark, I had to grab my loupe and do a double-take on the mint mark to make sure I wasn't seeing things :icon_scratch:

HH,
Brian

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. Congratulations on your whole hunt. The key date mercury is outstanding!

fredbug 67

Oct 12, 2013
Mahwah,NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -XP Deus-
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful,rare coin! What could be better? Nice job finding that one!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Congratz on banner. You on your 2nd banner now a "stud-muffin" ! :occasion14:

And I like how the mod's who assemble the pix , for the banner, bring together the "16" and the inset of the "D". Because as any collector of USA coins knows, that's one of fabled dates/mints to get hold of .

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian, you dirty dog !! That's an $800 or-more coin. You paid off the Racer, eh ? :notworthy:

Anytime coins go into the high-key range, and/or push $1K value, that should qualify as banner, eh ? I vote banner !

It was fun to get out and hunt with you guys this morning ! My totals were 66 coins. Of which I had 10 wheats (no key dates), 3 buffalos (all worthless orange cr#p), 1 toasted V nickel (18??), a 1934 silver new zealand coin, a war nickel .

Also got 2 gold rings. Although I'd rather take your dime any day ! Wanna trade ? :laughing7:

What is the fancy corner thingmajig in this picture? Can we see the other side? I find something just like it a little while back and it wad sterling silver, but still not 100% sure of what it is.

Also, a 1916 D mercury dime...stellar find! :-) certainly a prize by any detectorists standards...Nice job

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love it when a 16D gets posted. What an exclusive club. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did some detecting this morning with my Racer2. Any time I'm able to get out anymore is great, and this hunt was (so I thought) shaping up to be an average hunt. I found six wheaties (1913S, 1923S, 1939S, 1941S, 1942S, and a no date), two Indian heads (1881 & 1905), a buffalo (1937), a toasted ?nickel?, a nice San Francisco dog tag, albeit some 54 years newer then the one I found a couple of weeks ago, a couple of pieces of .925 silver jewelry, two 1800's San Francisco Cable Car buttons (one from the Sutter Street Railroad with a train on it, the other from the Omnibus Cable Company, also with a train on it. Both would later merge into the San Francisco Cable Car system).

I also found three silver coins, two mercs and one Washington quarter. I generally don't look at the dates on my coins until I get home, so this morning after I got back from detecting I was checking out my finds, and the one merc was in beautiful condition, but it's a common date 1942S, the silver Washington is a 1936 with a big rust blotch on the back.

Then I looked at the last coin, a worn mercury dime, and I wasn't expecting much. I checked the date, 1916, OK, OK, I've found several 1916 mercs over the years and they've all been San Francisco or no mint marks. I muttered "come on, be a Denver mint mark" as I turned it over to check, and much to my amazement, IT'S A 1916D Mercury Dime!! :hello2:

View attachment 1342680 View attachment 1342681 View attachment 1342682

I still cannot believe I finally bagged a 16D merc :headbang: I wish it was in as good of condition as the 1942S merc, but we take what we can get :icon_thumright:

Thanks for taking a look,
Brian

WTG MAN!!!
The 1913 S is a Good find to. at-least in GA.

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found two 1916 and both with no D mint. :dontknow: congratulations on a great find! I'm glad to see you're still out there swinging! :notworthy::notworthy:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a super coin!!! and on your second banner! Keep it up!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Congrats on the key date Merc!

I am a little jealous!

Indiana_Brandon

Feb 23, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
DD Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!! Great find bud thanks for sharing.. So kewl when people hit those bucket listers! Congrats again!
HH everyone

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for the banner votes, that's awesome :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions