It took 18 years: Clovis today (Updated Pic)

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Dusty field with foot prints everywhere, an arrowhead hunters nightmare senario. Right?? Well this was the condition today. I was tired, wanted to go home then I saw a flint chip lodged in the ground, I thought 'what the heck I'll pick it up'. The earth moved above it, so I just flip it out and there it was a 3 7/16" Carter Cave Clovis arrowhead. I couldn't believe my eyes, and neither could my buddy Chuck who was right there when this unfolded. There still out there! HH

Brett

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 4,404
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 4,343
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 4,293
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 4,255
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4,110
  • IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 4,036
Upvote 0

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Howdy,
Congrat to you!Ive been hunting twice that long and have yet to find one.Posts like theses are the kind that get you off your butt and out in the fields.I don,t care if it has been raining for ten days I,m outta here lol.Hey WAY TO GO!! Thanks for sharing.
Ohioriverhunter

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
WOW!! I missed that find 'til just now. I'm glad it was on the banner, well deserved I might add. That's an awesome find.

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
centfladigger said:
wow what a find. wonder why they didnt ground down the hafting area?

Hello,

I believe the maker didn't finish it. He left the fluting nipple and didn't retouch one side of the blade. If he would have fluted the other side of the point then I believe he would have ground the base. Thats what makes it so interesting because you can see the steps of manufacture.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Sad to say if I were digging a pull tab and this was just above the pull tab I would have said neat looking rock and taken the pull tab out so later I would not hit it again.
I wonder how many uneducated people have tossed out artifacts like this one thinking the metal hit was what they were suppose to take.

If these things are worth 4,500 dollars what prevents someone from just chipping one up on their own? Isn't like trying to counterfeit a $100.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
The other side is fascinating. The original Shoop Site Report (Withrow ?) wrote about the points there showing what he called the Enterline Technique : narrow "guide channels/flutes" removed first before the main one, to guide it straight up the axis of the point. Naturally, some smart aleck at the Smithsonian wrote a 're-interpretation" laughing at this idea. (And at his Enterline Scraper form, &c &c.)

But there it is, in front of God and ever'buddy ! :hello2: :laughing7: :headbang:

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Don't know how I can add anything to all this, but you are quite right...
find of a life time, but hope you have many more anyway.
Jealous as heck.
:icon_thumright:
BW

traderoftreasures

Bronze Member
May 9, 2009
central, Illinois
Detector(s) used
white's spectrum VX3
whatever you do...... do not sell it on ebay for 2100.00 and not keep pictures like i did with my beautiful double fluted clovis. someone out there is happier than me. that is a sweet find and should be held in your personal collection for life

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know you but that is a great looking point and what a great story behind it. I went out yesterday and saw foot prints everywhere in my spot but I found next to nothing. I guess I was too late. Good for you they missed it!

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Don't get discouraged. People look for the "God dropped it arrowhead", some of the nicest points I have found are the ones you have to work for, either with your eyes or you biceps.

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
Dusty field with foot prints everywhere, an arrowhead hunters nightmare senario. Right?? Well this was the condition today. I was tired, wanted to go home then I saw a flint chip lodged in the ground, I thought 'what the heck I'll pick it up'. The earth moved above it, so I just flip it out and there it was a 3 7/16" Carter Cave Clovis arrowhead. I couldn't believe my eyes, and neither could my buddy Chuck who was right there when this unfolded. There still out there! HH

Brett

I have heard the story of you finding that Clovis many times and still don't believe it. A guy Chuck's size could never tackle you, ha ha! :) That's the only part I don't believe, don't get me wrong... best Clovis ever!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
That's one sweet point, just think how many years it has been waiting to be found too.

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Don't underestimate the Chuckster. He has unobtainable cartoon strength. I pulled myself out of a 4 foot deep hole. No seriously, I have never witnessed it personally, but I know Chuck has a deep unmittigated dark side we need to investigate before I initiate him into the Circle of Trust.

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I have heard the story of you finding that Clovis many times and still don't believe it. A guy Chuck's size could never tackle you, ha ha! :) That's the only part I don't believe, don't get me wrong... best Clovis ever!
It hard to believe the World's most devoted prankster. Unfortunately I don't have the spare cash to buy a clovis to bury it in a field just for laugh. It would be scary though if I won the lottery.

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
Don't underestimate the Chuckster. He has unobtainable cartoon strength. I pulled myself out of a 4 foot deep hole. No seriously, I have never witnessed it personally, but I know Chuck has a deep unmittigated dark side we need to investigate before I initiate him into the Circle of Trust.

He has pulled me out of a 4 foot hole a few times, too, personally... but he thinks bottles and privies are gay these days, lol. :)

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Great find! Congrats. It pays to flip every bit you see in the ground, never know what'll pop up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread