Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The wife was up early this morning (like every morning) and was sitting out back facing the mountain drinking hot tea and watching the birds. The cat was being a cat when suddenly it growled at something up towards the pontoon boat. She looked up to see a coyote as it whirled and took off into the thicker stuff. The stupid cat actually started off after it. The wife was bragging at how the cat had "chased" it off when I told her what really could happen.

A lot of times, the smaller female will come in and get a dog to chase it a little ways to where the bigger male coyote is waiting and they both turn and make a meal out of the animal. Seen it done even to year old hound dogs and a good friend lost several "bigger" dogs that way. He saw it happen too far away to do anything about it at the time but within a week had thinned out the coyotes in his area. We see so many posters up for lost animals wit rewards etc but a lot of them have become coyote poop. For years several people claimed that someone was going around and stealing animals for research or to resale but that was just ignorance talking.

Most people have no idea as to how many critters are hunting inside towns and cities, they gotta eat and they go where the food is and it is usually easy pickings. Coyotes will eat anything that will make a turd and that is why they survive like they do. Cats, well, a lot of things like to eat cat meat too. Nature, well nature is a very rough place to exist. everything is trying to not get eaten or trying to eat something 24-7. Just saying, DL

Poor old tom

Mar 22, 2018
Goldendale, Wa
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO x 2 - Equinox 800x2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I also live in the mountains, and keep a lot of cats around to keep the mice and such out of my shop. I have fed a lot of coyotes over the years,by feeding and keeping cats.
I have also had raccoons kill a cat recently, and Hawks can too. I keep my pet cat inside, all the others I try to not get too attached to..Oh yea I have a lot of wild turkeys, and they will put an asswhipping on a cat that gets too close to the chicks. Its fun to watch critters interact.

glass half fool

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2017
North of the Mason Dixon line
Detector(s) used
White 5900DiPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Human beings have been trying to eliminate coyotes for hundreds of years . Right now there are probably more of them on the North American continent than at any time in the last 200 years. And as they adapt to living among humans they will continue to thrive . Along with cats and small dogs they will eat right out of a pet food bowl or raid a garbage can .More and more every morning is becoming a coyote morning . If you see them enjoy them but remember they are a wild animal

TerryEastTexas

Oct 26, 2004
Palestine. Tx.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV.
Primary Interest:
Other
If allowed nature takes care of itself without regard to pets, unfortunatly for the pets. I have seen coyotes chase down pet dogs and nothing I hollered saved the dogs. Hell, I've had them track me out of the woods. Just saying. On the other hand I've been deep in the woods and had a pack of coyotes start howling but when I cleared my throat they left like a ball of fire. All of them. So who knows what nature holds.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Most Coyotes were reintroduced into their former environments by State Wildlife Agencies (i.e. Department of Natural Resources, Wildlife Resources Agencies and others with similar names) and have pretty much been left to flourish unchecked. These agencies all deny that they had anything to do with the Coyotes coming back into a State. Until the Public makes these agencies accountable for the problem that they created, then Coyotes populations will continue to grow and the problems concerning them grow. The West Virginia Sheep Farmers and Cattlemen did so back in the early to mid 1990's by recruiting an individual who was graduating from High School and paying for this individual to go to College where they obtained Degrees in Biology and Wildlife Management. After this individual graduated from College, he got a job with the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources in Charleston, WV where he eventually found the smoking gun, an email sent out to others in the agency back in the 1970's (I believe) detailing their plan to reintroduce Coyotes back into West Virginia. The Sheep Farmers and Cattlemen had sued the West Virginia Department of Resources numerous times over loss of livestock, seeking restitution for their losses and to have the Coyote population brought under control but they lost every time until they got the smoking gun. With it, they sued and got restitution for their' losses, got money for their pain and suffering and got the WVDNR to place poison bait stations all over West Virginia and to service those bait stations on a regular basis.

While some may disagree but whenever I see one while I am hunting, I dispatch them to the afterlife. I have lost too many cats to them, too many neighborhood pets have been lost to them, too much wildlife have been lost to them and too many family members and neighborhood kids have had too many close calls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There was a time back in the late 70s and 80s where central western Arkansas had huge flocks of turkeys. And I mean huge with several hundred easy or even a lot more. Our Game and Fish Dept netted a lot of them to trade for everything from elk to even beaver. The beaver and other critters became nuisance problems very quickly. The natural larger predators that used to keep the coyotes in check were killed out years ago, such as the red wolf etc. Anyways, man has a way of disrupting things, it's what man does. My father is an Elder in the Wolf Clan of our Cherokee tribe, ironic for there are no wolves here now. Coyotes can and do attack humans but mainly the children sized. No matter what, they are wild and not predictable so must be treated with respect as to what they can do. When my kids were little, I had a very large Airedale that was very defensive of our place and of us. The Airedale was very smart, very quick and had a decisive bite.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
About three years ago I was Spring Gobbler hunting on TVA land high above the main channel of Cherokee Lake. I was making the standard Hen calls to try to get a Gobbler to gobble and come to me, when I heard a distinct yip...yip. This was a Coyote stalking me and calling for reinforcements. I moved several times making Hen calls and each time I did so, I would hear the Coyote yip and each time it was closer. Without hearing a single gobble and the Coyote closing in, I dropped off the other side of the mountain to a logging road. I backed up to a tree and waited for a little while before making another call. When I did make the call, sure enough there was the distinctive yip and then the Coyote came into view looking for me not 30 yards above me. I unloaded my' 16 gauge shotgun into him or her and never saw the Coyote again.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Careful of those yotes they gotta eat too lol

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
We have plenty of bears and coyotes here at the house. The dogs arent afraid of the bears, but they are really scared of the coyotes. They keep their distance from the bears but will hound them till they leave. when the yotes are here they practically knock me down trying to get in the house first.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes!! When I lived at my Dad's the coyotes were pretty bad. We couldn't leave our dog tied out at night and he was a bigger dog. They even got so brave they would be in the wood line by the house making noise when we would take the dog out at night. or one would come into the yard. We had to have him on a leash and be with him especially at night. They try to lure them off then ambush them. Same thing, pets come up missing and people think it's the "witch's" , "cults", animal research or whatever people dreamed up....No, just coyotes. :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Human beings have been trying to eliminate coyotes for hundreds of years . Right now there are probably more of them on the North American continent than at any time in the last 200 years. And as they adapt to living among humans they will continue to thrive . Along with cats and small dogs they will eat right out of a pet food bowl or raid a garbage can .More and more every morning is becoming a coyote morning . If you see them enjoy them but remember they are a wild animal

Here's another problem in some areas. Like my Dad's house where coyotes are all over the place. He lives within "City limits" and the idiots made a law that no firearms can be discharged in city limits. This isn't like what you normally think of as a "city". There are hundreds of acres of farm and tree land. So..The coyotes are thriving and by law he can't shoot them. When I was a kid there was no such thing as coyotes in that area, but within the past 20 years they just moved in and multiplied like crazy. I know that most people don't want to shoot animals just to kill them, but in some cases it needs to be done or they take over. He doesn't have a dog, but just walking through his yard you would think he had 10 of them, coyote crap everywhere. :laughing7:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I was in the barn feeding chickens when I heard a squawk behind me. I turned around just in time to see a coyote run out the door and around the corner with a chicken in it's mouth. It stopped about 50 yards out and started pulling feathers from the chicken with its mouth while holding the bird down with its feet. I ran at it waving my arms and hollering and it let the bird go and ran off a hundred yards or so and then sat on its haunches and just looked at me. I ran to the house and grabbed the shotgun. I got back just in time to stop it from going back into the barn/chicken pen. This boy was just too brave or hungry for his own good.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's another problem in some areas. Like my Dad's house where coyotes are all over the place. He lives within "City limits" and the idiots made a law that no firearms can be discharged in city limits. This isn't like what you normally think of as a "city". There are hundreds of acres of farm and tree land. So..The coyotes are thriving and by law he can't shoot them. When I was a kid there was no such thing as coyotes in that area, but within the past 20 years they just moved in and multiplied like crazy. I know that most people don't want to shoot animals just to kill them, but in some cases it needs to be done or they take over. He doesn't have a dog, but just walking through his yard you would think he had 10 of them, coyote crap everywhere. :laughing7:

My' home and property has been inside the city limits for about 8 years now and it is the last property before the county line. My neighbor down the road owns a 300+ acre field next to my' property and about 600 acres across the highway both of which are in the county. Their' properties are polluted with Coyotes and they won't do anything about them even after having to sell off their' cattle because of the Coyotes killing the Calves. I won't tell about the conversation I had with them around 7 years ago about taking care of the Coyote problem and warned them that if any of my' kids and/or grandchildren are hurt or worse by Coyotes that live on their' properties, then I will sue them into the ground. I even talked with the Game Warden for our County and he stated that although I live inside the city limits, I have the right to protect my' pets, my family and my' property and can discharge a gun in doing so. Now, I have never talked with the City Police but don't think the Game Warden would lie. Your Dad may want to inquire with the Game Warden and the Police there and see what they say. Grant you that defense against an intruder in your home is your right but folks must also have a right to protect themselves, their' family and their' pets while outside of their' homes but still on their' property.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My' home and property has been inside the city limits for about 8 years now and it is the last property before the county line. My neighbor down the road owns a 300+ acre field next to my' property and about 600 acres across the highway both of which are in the county. Their' properties are polluted with Coyotes and they won't do anything about them even after having to sell off their' cattle because of the Coyotes killing the Calves. I won't tell about the conversation I had with them around 7 years ago about taking care of the Coyote problem and warned them that if any of my' kids and/or grandchildren are hurt or worse by Coyotes that live on their' properties, then I will sue them into the ground. I even talked with the Game Warden for our County and he stated that although I live inside the city limits, I have the right to protect my' pets, my family and my' property and can discharge a gun in doing so. Now, I have never talked with the City Police but don't think the Game Warden would lie. Your Dad may want to inquire with the Game Warden and the Police there and see what they say. Grant you that defense against an intruder in your home is your right but folks must also have a right to protect themselves, their' family and their' pets while outside of their' homes but still on their' property.

When I go up I will shoot on his land.:laughing7: He also has a bow. But my point is all of those people that live in those areas now have a law saying that they can't. Another thing is that the hunting dropped big time!! You can get permits, if you have access to so many acres etc....But still a lot of stupid push ups just to get rid of pests. He isn't far from an airport, they hand out so many permits a year too. Because deer and coyotes are a problem on the runways. So, they do try to keep it clear. It's just sad that We use to sit at a picnic table when I was a kid and shoot targets with all types of guns and no harm. Hunt squirrels, rabbits, etc...But right now, today, it's against the law. They usually don't come looking for someone that's shooting. but there are a lot of new people in that area that are....Uhhhh? Well, anti Rights. :laughing7: And they love to call it in, just because, then they have to follow up with it and the sheriff shows up. We use to have bon fires too, nope...not allowed now. It's a $200 fine. There are a few neighbors that remind me of....What's that ladies name out west? They kind of look like her too! :laughing7: The gated communities and sub divisions brought a lot of people in and they outnumber the older crowd. It's an area that is sad to see that kind of change. As kids we did whatever we wanted and no harm. Even kids riding dirt bikes now get hit with some kind of noise ord. Most isn't allowed today. Sry about the ramble.:laughing7: You should hear my 86 year old grandmother go off on people about this stuff. she lives a quarter mile up the road. haha Technically, your supposed to get a permit to put a ceiling fan in your home. It got real petty in that area....But at some point they will have to do something about the coyotes, it's getting worse every year. They will have to loosen up or possibly put a bounty on them at some point. They could probably be trapped or hand out permits.

Last edited:

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was out prospecting a few weeks ago when I saw this kitty track. It is a HUGE Bobcat.

I had just passed through the area an hour before, then on the way back saw this track in the snow. A few days later, while nowhere near me, I read where a woman in CT got attacked by a Bobcat.

I have never carried a gun in my life, but thought about it after seeing this Kitty Track.

I took a picture of my tracks on the way in, so that people could see, while only made an hour before, this Cat track was FRESH!

DSCN0557.JPG DSCN0558.JPG

OreCart

Jan 23, 2019
Maine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On Monday, my wife and I were doing spring lawn care when we saw a Bald Eagle, swoop out of the sky with talons extended and about to grab a lamb. Just then our LGD (Livestock guard dog) lit after the bird and almost grabbed him as the bird got close to the lamb. In the end the Eagle went without lamb for dinner, and our dog got a bit more food in her dish.

She looks docile, but she has (2) coyote and (2) Fox kills to her name.

We told the kids, if they are ever in danger, get inside the fence. Our dog would die in their defense if she had too.

In a few years when she retires, we will bring her in the house, and I bet we will never be robbed. :-)

DSCN0090.JPG

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Worthless animals!!! Just like the groundhogs,I leave em' where they lay!!

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
one morning years ago, about 45 years ago, my grandfather's squirrel dog was barking treed behind his house about 75 yards. My uncle decided to go to the dog and so I tagged along. As we entered the semi dense woods, the dog suddenly shut up and we heard a yip. My uncle had a Ruger 22 pistol with him but not ready when the small dog came busting thru the brush and shot between his legs. As our eyes focused on the dog's actions, a coyote suddenly burst thru and ran smack into his legs. I was yelling Shoot it but my uncle (by marriage) was too shook up to react in time, so it scrambled away before he knew it. My other uncles would have emptied the gun. it would have made an awesome video, of the dog, the coyote and my uncle.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
When I go up I will shoot on his land.:laughing7: He also has a bow. But my point is all of those people that live in those areas now have a law saying that they can't. Another thing is that the hunting dropped big time!! You can get permits, if you have access to so many acres etc....But still a lot of stupid push ups just to get rid of pests. He isn't far from an airport, they hand out so many permits a year too. Because deer and coyotes are a problem on the runways. So, they do try to keep it clear. It's just sad that We use to sit at a picnic table when I was a kid and shoot targets with all types of guns and no harm. Hunt squirrels, rabbits, etc...But right now, today, it's against the law. They usually don't come looking for someone that's shooting. but there are a lot of new people in that area that are....Uhhhh? Well, anti Rights. :laughing7: And they love to call it in, just because, then they have to follow up with it and the sheriff shows up. We use to have bon fires too, nope...not allowed now. It's a $200 fine. There are a few neighbors that remind me of....What's that ladies name out west? They kind of look like her too! :laughing7: The gated communities and sub divisions brought a lot of people in and they outnumber the older crowd. It's an area that is sad to see that kind of change. As kids we did whatever we wanted and no harm. Even kids riding dirt bikes now get hit with some kind of noise ord. Most isn't allowed today. Sry about the ramble.:laughing7: You should hear my 86 year old grandmother go off on people about this stuff. she lives a quarter mile up the road. haha Technically, your supposed to get a permit to put a ceiling fan in your home. It got real petty in that area....But at some point they will have to do something about the coyotes, it's getting worse every year. They will have to loosen up or possibly put a bounty on them at some point. They could probably be trapped or hand out permits.

I think you are talking about N$%@& Pel&%$. Yep, I hate nosy so-called do-gooders and would pour Elk and Moose urine along the streets in front of their' properties at night but in the utility right-of-ways and set off stink bombs every chance I got. I would also catch some fish, let it rot and throw them and rotting cabbage in the same locations. Technically, you would not be breaking any laws but the Police might find something to charge you with. Since you are only creating a nuisance, I would imagine you would only get a slap on the wrist. Maybe the nosy do-gooders will get the message and leave well enough alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread