Using your smartphone as a metal detector!

Digdeeper2

Greenie
Apr 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I'm new to TN. Been reading a lot about MDs but recently came across a video on youtube that someone was demonstrating a metal detector which uses a mobile phone as a main unit, a customized coil and an app.

It is a startup project and they aren't any units available for testing yet. (Link below)

I'd like those who have the knowledge and hands-on experience with electronic to tell me how is this going to work, considering the fact that smartphones can not send electromagnetic signals via headphone jack!
Thanks.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a cool idea! I don't know enough about electronics to understand all of that. But... the coil is where the electromagnetic signal is from...The phone and app are just analyzing the info. and translating it into something. I would imagine there is a lot more tech in a phone than most detectors? ....Who knows..I sure don't, I'm just guessing at things I have not much a clue about.:laughing7: There biggest work is probably the app?

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
detectors transmit, and recieve
no idea how they are going send a pulse, receiving seems doable with a smartphone
interesting indeed

Tim

edit: AKYOR is using an external USB battery pack to power a booster in the coil, nice

Last edited:

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully, whatever drawbacks there are to using a smartphone (lag in communication b/w phone and coil, etc.) might be overcome by the relatively massive computing power of the phone.

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Air Detectors they are currently on Kick starter

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I assume it is just using the smartphone as a display and all of the electronics are in the coil & shaft.

Not going to open the video to see. ;-)

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
comparing the 2, the AKYOR (top) seems to provide more info (better sales pitch anyway)

Xenon

edit: hmmm, build that coil into a jacket (back) and that could be an excellent surreptitious wall checker

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AKYOR doesnt have its own battery, could be a good thing, but doesnt seem like the run time will be nearly as long....
I do like the appearance of the software more on the Air from what iv seen any ways...

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck of a tone on that thing. Sounds like somebody prying a nail out of a board.

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
The AKYOR doesnt have its own battery, could be a good thing, but doesnt seem like the run time will be nearly as long....
I do like the appearance of the software more on the Air from what iv seen any ways...

the AKYOR video shows an (optional ?) USB battery pack good for 100 hours (med sized)

edit: yea, that sound - got to dig it to get rid of the noise

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also no wires on the Air Detector...
Akyor just looks janky, the examples of software looks cartoonish and that rod.....lol....

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are on the right track with technology. From what i saw in the video along with other videos, they have a ways to go with development. The signal delay or latency or whatever you call it is way too much!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting machine...

OP
OP
D

Digdeeper2

Greenie
Apr 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume it is just using the smartphone as a display and all of the electronics are in the coil & shaft.

Not going to open the video to see. ;-)

They use the phone to generate the signal but as far as I know the phone only generates audio signal!
The question here is, how they convert the audio to electromagnetic signals?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They use the phone to generate the signal but as far as I know the phone only generates audio signal!
The question here is, how they convert the audio to electromagnetic signals?

Through Alien technology? Those guys fly all over the galaxy! I'm thinking...They sold some of that tech to these guys. .....That's all I got!:laughing7:

This explains everything I don't understand. It's either Aliens or bigfoot...One of the two, or both since they have a working relationship with the Lizard race. And since ET couldn't phone home easily they had to give us cell phones. Next....They will show us how to travel through space and time with the same phones!!! One step at a time though....

Last edited:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's likely that all of the electronics are in the coil, so it transmits and receives the electromagnetic field, evaluates it, and sends that information on to the cell phone for the conversion to audio.

OP
OP
D

Digdeeper2

Greenie
Apr 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's likely that all of the electronics are in the coil, so it transmits and receives the electromagnetic field, evaluates it, and sends that information on to the cell phone for the conversion to audio.

Hmm, similar to radio station!

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doesn't the Deus work in the same manner?...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread