Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ain't not no hows figgered they'se have enuff braines to reade them thar signs. No hows.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a guy shooting a high powered rifle over the fence into my property. After about 25 rounds I had enough and confronted the fellers.

They denied shooting into my property and instead insisted they were shooting down the road towards a sharp blind corner. Imagine that! I told them either way they were being idiots and that it was time to move on.
I was pissed enough that I unholstered my firearm and left it in the truck before confronting them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These days it is NOT wise to confront jerks with guns. Hide and let the police do it.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They were called. Never saw one.

They should have stopped by and spoken to you. That is SOP. You did tell them you had donuts, didn't you?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OR...

When I knock over my rum bottle... particularly if its the last bottle... then I call at least twice.

:P

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about how you reported it.
If you would have said "I think they shot my vehicle" "they may have been shooting out the passenger window", you would have gotten a better response.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son had an expensive bike stolen off the fossil grounds that we hunt. When they heard I was going door-to-door getting leads into the identity of the thieves and exactly where they lived, they showed up very quickly and we all descended on the thief's house at the same time. The responding officer said my taking the law into my own hands was a factor in his quick response.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We had a drunk the next road over without a safe backstop whizz across a neighbors line.
He got straightened out pronto by the neighbor...

Shots are common around here.
The midnight and later from a certain party off one corner of my property I don't appreciate after they been partying.

While I don't shoot much in the yard ,one of these early mornings after a party while folks are still drooling on themselves , I might start working through about a thousand AK rounds.
Maybe they'll catch on?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have just under 50 acres up a holler. Bought this from my grandmother in '79, and she stayed here till she passed in '83. My ancestors are original settlers.

So, I was seldom here, and nobody knew me. During one of my in and out visits, I heard chainsaws up on my West ridge. Walked up there with a 12 ga, and there were 4 pickup trucks, and they were loading up my wood up on those trucks - cutting firewood off my land. I stayed there till they left and they were pretty hasty out of here.

I don't hurt critters, do not believe in killing anything larger than a spider - arachnophobic. So I don't allow hunting on my land.

Doesn't mean that stops anything.

But every time I stop them, I do confront and educate them. But I don't endanger my self, calm and direct. Those people didn't know who I was. Been up here 6 years now, so likely by now the neighbors have evaluated having me around and accepted me. They ain't killed me yet :)

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My next door neighbor is HOT about the whole thing. He's ex Marine Corps and I was told he's going to confront whoever's doing the shooting, first blast. We have had a lot of game poachers around here in the past.

I had a talk with the other neighbor today, they are also going to call the police, first incident. Police will get the hang of it sooner or later.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have just under 50 acres up a holler. Bought this from my grandmother in '79, and she stayed here till she passed in '83. My ancestors are original settlers.

So, I was seldom here, and nobody knew me. During one of my in and out visits, I heard chainsaws up on my West ridge. Walked up there with a 12 ga, and there were 4 pickup trucks, and they were loading up my wood up on those trucks - cutting firewood off my land. I stayed there till they left and they were pretty hasty out of here.

I don't hurt critters, do not believe in killing anything larger than a spider - arachnophobic. So I don't allow hunting on my land.

Doesn't mean that stops anything.

But every time I stop them, I do confront and educate them. But I don't endanger my self, calm and direct. Those people didn't know who I was. Been up here 6 years now, so likely by now the neighbors have evaluated having me around and accepted me. They ain't killed me yet :)

Hey , if they didn't lure you within range with chainsaw music ,then stick your carcass under a downed tree and put a saw in your hand...You must be in their good graces!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My next door neighbor is HOT about the whole thing. He's ex Marine Corps and I was told he's going to confront whoever's doing the shooting, first blast. We have had a lot of game poachers around here in the past.

I had a talk with the other neighbor today, they are also going to call the police, first incident. Police will get the hang of it sooner or later.

Don't neglect the D.N.R. too...
Department of Natural Resources

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Releventchair, I did call them. They were about as useless as:

mammary glands on a bull

putting oil in your car's engine after it burns up

going MD'ing and leaving the machine at home

You get the drift.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Releventchair, I did call them. They were about as useless as:

mammary glands on a bull

putting oil in your car's engine after it burns up

going MD'ing and leaving the machine at home

You get the drift.

The latest "leadership" of DNR is there to destroy the agency while maintaining the appearance of relevance (much like EPA).

There has never been a better time to be a poacher - especially of rockfish and oysters. The leadership takes direction from convicted poachers.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The latest "leadership" of DNR is there to destroy the agency while maintaining the appearance of relevance (much like EPA).

There has never been a better time to be a poacher - especially of rockfish and oysters. The leadership takes direction from convicted poachers.

Ouch...

I'm a live and let live , usually.
But poaching annoyed me so much at one residence after I told them to knock it off and they didn't...I told a D.N.R. field officer that checked me out in sight of the residence when and where to wait.
Nothing became of that either.

Our police are spread thin.
As is the D.N.R..
Both have peace officer abilities though and by contacting both it ups the odds of some one being in the same zip code and interested enough to investigate a complaint.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch...

I'm a live and let live , usually.
But poaching annoyed me so much at one residence after I told them to knock it off and they didn't...I told a D.N.R. field officer that checked me out in sight of the residence when and where to wait.
Nothing became of that either.

Our police are spread thin.
As is the D.N.R..
Both have peace officer abilities though and by contacting both it ups the odds of some one being in the same zip code and interested enough to investigate a complaint.

In this state today, their hands are tied. Poachers who have been convicted by federal courts and served close to a year in federal pen now have the ear of the current administration. The poachers provide "advice" to the DNR's political appointees who are extremists opposed to science and conservation. I'm not talking about a few deer - the deer are overpopulated anyway. The big bucks are in striped bass (aka rockfish) and oyster poaching. I could show you the poachers out there at night, fishing illegal nets and dragging dredges on oyster sanctuaries. The DNR natural resources police can't act on their own. If they went after these guys on their own, they would be fired. You could make hundreds of thousands of dollars in a night of poaching striped bass, less for oysters.

What smokey described sounds like yahoos out shooting. Its more likely to be stopped if they are not poaching due to jursidiction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think my neighbor will convince them to "play" elsewhere. Plus the trail cams are going up soooonnnnn.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread