Jaw-dropping 1 hour hunt at beat to death park !!!

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
St. Louis, MO. / Naples, FL.
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Had an hour or 2 to kill at pounded to death ghetto park. Hunted a spot that has been beat to death by Explorers... not by choice, only because the grass was just cut and that was the only spot in the park that wasn't 2 feet deep in grass. I was hoping for a stray indian or maybe a silver dime in the trash, but was shocked at all the signals I got!!! they were all inbetween zillions of pulltabs and iron and most of these targets came out of the hole with a trash items. The ground conditions were perfect which was why I got so many good signals to dig.

1901O, 1910, 1914 Barber Dimes... 1917D Merc... 1964D Roosy - barely legal :wink:... 1906 V Nickel... 1890, (2)1899, 1902 Indians... Transit Token... couple of buttons... and not pictured - 10 wheaties. Quite an impressive haul for a spare hour to hunt around here! HH, Mike.

12jun08finds.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mike Moutray

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Captn_SE said:
Thanks, Mike, for the info. Somehow in my mind, I was thinking about a zillion beaver tails. Those guys are very tough to decipher between nickels. Pull tabs are much easier.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

It's actually easier than you think. If you hunt with the explorer long enough you'll figure out that wheat pennies sound a little bit "bigger" or "wider" in pinpoint than silver dimeswhich sound off a little "narrower"... I use that with the nickel hits. Many of the "bigger" pinpoint signals turn out to be nickels and nearly all the "smaller" pinpoint signals - like a silver dime - turn out to be tab tails. Not exact science, but good enough to dig nickel signals with moderate success. Sometimes you run into an area that has whole pulltabs that register nickel, then I just give up on nickels. HH, Mike.

OP
OP
Mike Moutray

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
mikewaz said:
Whoa Mike,

That's quite a haul for an hours or 200! :thumbsup:
Was this your first time at this park?

I have a few parks around here that I'm gonn hit, but waiting for the areas to
get a little safer.
Mike

Lord No! I've hunted here with other Explorer users for several years. Minelab machines have taken thousands of silver coins out of here in past decade. Neighborhood is bad, but locals have seen us enough to not pay attention to us, for most part. I hunt on weekend mornings or stay in the less used areas in the afternoons. Try hunting those times in your parks... I've hunted Chicago parks, including Washington Park, with no problem. Then again I'm 6' 5" and 350 lbs, so that may have kept me alive, I don't know... Just hunt smart and be aware of your surroundings. I hunt in my work uniform, so I look like I work for the city... another good tip to keep yourself unmolested ;D HH, Mike.

OP
OP
Mike Moutray

Mike Moutray

Nov 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer2/Excalibur
Ohio Jerry said:
Cool finds!!! Man i love those Indians and barber dimes. You said the ground conditions were perfect,had it rained hard the night before? I've heard that can bring out some signals at hunted out spots but haven't had the chance to try it. :thumbsup:

Perfect ground conditions always seem to be when the ground is damp, but not wringing wet - especially after a long wet period or in spring, AND the grass and surface of the ground is dry.... haloes around the coins are hottest making coins come in better and deeper, but the dry surface seems to eliminate mineralization falsing and tiny iron masking a little more. Explorers don't like wet grass in trashy/mineralized ground.... many times I've hunted in wet grass with lots of falsing and little in the way of good signals to dig, but when the grass dries out, DEEP signals "pop up" every where and the falsing dies away considerably. Can't explain it, just live with it and use it to my advantage. HH, Mike.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Another key way to stay safe is confidence in, :lurk:CCW S&W .50 :lurk:

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I say you have hit the jackpot my friend! Once you discrimate out all of the junk you will be making really awesome finds! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread