JESSE CAPEN ; What lead him to his search area?

OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for doing that Wally. And welcome to TreasureNet. I plan on seeing it some day soon. I get a little choked up about this matter, because it could have been me or another fellow Dutchunter that shared Jesse`s fait.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Sorry to open old wounds here. Does anyone know if the medical examiners report was ever made public on Jesse? If so, what were the findings?

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I always thought the Superstition Mountains is the perfect serial killer territory.

I think that if you, with your professional background seriously looked into it, you just might find something interesting concerning Jesse.
Obviously, I am one of the few that believe his fall was no accident. Now thats speculation for sure, but not without a very good reason.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to talk with you Hal. Below are a couple of citations which explain why a Memorial or Plaque would be inappropriate.
In wilderness, facilities, installations and structures are prohibited. For the rest of the National Forest single focus use is generally discouraged and some types are prohibited, such as for monuments and memorials. There is the possibility of a small label of dedication installed on an existing feature outside of wilderness like a trailhead kiosk or a picnic table. You should talk with the local District Ranger about those possibilities.

From our Special Uses Manual – Uses which should be denied.
FSH 2709.11, section 12.21, paragraph 4
4. Will not create an exclusive or perpetual right of use or occupancy; that is, the proposed use would not in effect grant title to Federal land to an authorization holder or would not create the appearance of granting such a right. Examples of such uses that could in effect grant title, or give the appearance of granting such a right include:
a. Cemeteries, monuments, or other memorials; and

From 2320 Wilderness Management

2323.13 - Improvements and Nonconforming Facilities and Activities

Provide facilities and improvements only for protection of the wilderness resource. Document and justify conditions for providing facilities and improvements in the forest plan. Install facilities as a last resort only after trying education, other indirect management techniques, or reasonable limitations on use.

Instead of all this, why not just engrave a rock from the area and place it were you will, if they find it they will only remove it, but tribe to find a needle in a haystack is tough, I know I,m a Dutch Hunter.

Wrmickel1 The need to leave glass jars and paper notes around is not very cool!

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Instead of all this, why not just engrave a rock from the area and place it were you will, if they find it they will only remove it, but tribe to find a needle in a haystack is tough, I know I,m a Dutch Hunter.

Wrmickel1 The need to leave glass jars and paper notes around is not very cool!

I gave up on that idea a while back. Perhaps a better way to honor the guy is to learn exactly what happened to him. I am not sure how that is done without obtaining a copy of the MDEx's report.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a rock medicine wheel with his name spelled out with the rocks in the middle? Use nature to make it just like the rock carving idea.

Or a rock carved Cross?

Plant a cactus for him?

All with in the laws of our King.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to open old wounds here. Does anyone know if the medical examiners report was ever made public on Jesse? If so, what were the findings?

It was never made public - and will never be. Only a very few have seen it. IMO, there will always be a monument to Jesse in the Supes - that is where he gave his soul.

Mrs.O

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Beth,

Who did the autopsy? Pinal or Maricopa?

Mike

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Mike,

I don't know about the county's findings, just the one that was done privately.

Mrs. O

If it was done privately and evidence of foul play was found, it then doesn't make sense to me that these fact(s) "will never be" made public.

Surely Capen's family would have wanted closure?

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
If it was done privately and evidence of foul play was found, it then doesn't make sense to me that these fact(s) "will never be" made public.

Surely Capen's family would have wanted closure?

I don't remember reading that evidence of foul play was found. How did you come to that conclusion?

There should have been two autopsies if one was done privately. Arizona appears to be a "closed record" state so accessing the "other" official report would be difficult but not impossible. Comparing the two would be interesting.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
I don't remember reading that evidence of foul play was found. How did you come to that conclusion?

There should have been two autopsies if one was done privately. Arizona appears to be a "closed record" state so accessing the "other" official report would be difficult but not impossible. Comparing the two would be interesting.

Open criminal cases are not open to the public.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Open criminal cases are not open to the public.

Public access to an on-going criminal investigation is limited by agency policy not by state law (I believe) which means there are always exceptions to the rule.

Just to to be clear, your post suggested that Capen's case has been classified as "criminal". Is this the findings (conclusion) of the private investigation or the official position of law enforcement or both?

I don't think that sharing this information would violate any privacy concerns. In fact, if there is a danger, it should be made public even if the specifics are not. We don't need another victim in the Superstitions.

Anyway, I hope you agree.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal, tell me did you find the mine?
Oh darn, I wasn't supposed to let that cat fly out the door, er..ah...sorry Hal.

Good to see you back old friend!

I had a murder suspect work for me once. He was the only suspect in an unsolved murder in Flagstaff from 1987.
He got off scot free because he hired a private investigator to look into the open case and find out what they had against him.
Then he proceeded to modify his lies, dispose of his hunting knife, get rid of his clothes, to cover himself.

To this day he is free.

You could hire an investigator usually a retired Cop and get the info on the Capen case in Arizona. They have access.

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other
How to get away with murder - sponsored by Tnet!

RG1976

Mar 30, 2015
Scottsdale, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq & Vaquero

Leupold BX-3 Mojave & RX1200i Rangefinder
Primary Interest:
Other
I searched - didn't find anything written under your name! Did you perhaps write it under another name?

Congrats on being an author though!

In all seriousness - posting information, such as coroner reports publicly - would be extremely tacky and of poor taste. If the family wanted it to be public, they would post it themselves somewhere. If you are curious, get it yourself somehow (legally, I hope) and keep it for yourself.

Unfortunately, there are a few members here that enjoy writing posts in poor taste - so it wouldn't shock me at all to see someone stoop to that level.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread