JESSE CAPEN ; What lead him to his search area?

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Not likely a run in with bees. Few, if any,active in December.
A pack would be removed by a head-first fall and impact.

Regards:SH.

Somehiker

I ran in to a pack of mean bee's in feb, Then it snowed the next day, Then they were back out the next day and still mean too, They blamed me for bringing the snow I guess. So bee's could be a possible suspect.

Wrmickel1

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
While we are still dealing with Jesse, the subject seems to be drifting away from "What lead him to his search area?" Still, it's interesting speculation.

Take care,

Joe

Jan 6, 2010
How do we know the place where his body was found actually WAS his search area ??? I think that the preponderance of evidence in the form of his research pointed to a different area entirely.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
ROTN,

Who knows where his partner may have led him. He was in a well know Dutch Hunter's area. As a matter of fact, I have been told, that person told the SSAR to stay away from that location while searching for Jesse.:pain10:

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
amazing...and this person was not arrested for impeding search and rescue?

Donald,

NOPE!.....I was told that by someone in the organization. Also, I was asked my opinion of the man by someone at the top of the food chain in SSAR. My reply was "I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him."

Take care,

Joe

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
This is what I will submit on Monday to the USFS for approval. I am still uncertain as to the correct dates... any advice?
Please feel free to point out any mistakes or needed changes.
What about the quote "the end is the beginning"??? Should we insert it below the dates?
Help would be appreciated!

In Memory of
Jesse Joseph Capen
19xx -20xx

In beauty may I walk.
All day long may I walk.
Through the returning seasons may I walk.
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.
With grasshoppers about my feet may I walk.
With dew about my feet may I walk.
With beauty may I walk.
With beauty before me, may I walk.
With beauty behind me, may I walk.
With beauty above me, may I walk.
With beauty below me, may I walk.
With beauty all around me, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.
In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.
It is finished in beauty.
It is finished in beauty.

Navajo Blessing Way Prayer

Repeated in Navaho

Presented 2013 by Coronado's Children.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal

Your thought is very integrated . I can imagine it , written on black marble with golden letters . But , I am wondering : why to be just a memory plaque and not a monument ?
This can change if you put the plaque at a trail head and instead of the name of Jesse Capen you will write " In memory of all those who lost their lives hiking or hunting their dreams in these wild and beautiful mountains " . Or something like this .
Just a different thought .

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius, simple point is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Are you donating? Hal certainly should not be expected to foot the bill alone.

Jose

When I wrote " golden " , I described the colour and I didn't mean pure gold . But , if the bill is too much , somebody to open a bank account for this project , and anyone who wants could help with his donating . Would be a genuine Coronado's Children work .
Personally , I am willing to help .

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
When I wrote " golden " , I described the colour and I didn't mean pure gold . But , if the bill is too much , somebody to open a bank account for this project , and anyone who wants could help with his donating . Would be a genuine Coronado's Children work .
Personally , I am willing to help .

I have a modest budget and just wanted to leave behind something small and simple. Doing it properly through channels might be wasted time anyway as the rules in any wilderness area are somewhat strict. But it is worth the try. Since there are no volunteers to place the plaque, I will have to make the trip this winter. That makes the effort a little expensive. A monument would be great, but a simple plaque place near the signature and hidden among the rocks might not angry the USFS.... besides, I like the idea of someone finding the plaque and being inspired by the words and the amazing view.

I am open to any suggestion.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hal, unless it is firmly anchored it will end up in someones collection.

Don Jose de La Mancha

This is all too true. Maybe this idea won't work, for how long would it be until some nitwit stole it? Thieves will work hard to steal something, and in a place where no one is keeping a watch over it, they might be too tempted to grab a bronze plaque just for the scrap metal value. They are stupid and ambitious enough to try to steal copper wiring right out of live electrical transformers, taking a plaque from a remote place would be too easy for this type.
Oroblanco

OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal, I will help you to get something done. First we need to find out from the USFS if we can do it, and what would be acceptable. If anything. I myself, would like to get a helicopter to set down a big stone with the some cool wording, while a group of Dutchhunters await for it`s arrival, and make a video of it so others can know that there are people who care. We could recruit Kurt Painter to help (for a fee of course) place the stone. I would like to be involved in something like that. But then you have the flip side of that coin. It`s out of place in the wild, another intrusion of mankind into nature. It may create a problem down the road with more people being drawn to the area for SAR. etc. etc. Anyway, I`ll help as much as I can. Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread