JESSE CAPEN ; What lead him to his search area?

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Is this not still under investigation. Cause of death is public record. That's the purpose of a autopsy. They should do one on any suspicious death. I imagine at that point just some bones and clothing to gather up. The small bones would be scattered so they grab the big stuff. I bet you could go up there and find a few small bones around the area. This complicates the autopsy. Not a lot to work with. I could cut the inside of your leg with a Bowie push you off a cliff and as long as I did not cut the bone there would be no trace after your flesh was gone and you were found years later. In a case like that how did he die. From my cut or being pushed or falling off a cliff. Well in this case it's oblivious he went off a cliff. The question is how and why.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Everyone,
I have been thinking about having a small metal plaque made which would honor Jesse and acknowledge his effort, but I am worried how this might be received by the family and those who contributed to finding him. I am not asking for financial contributions (I will purchase the plaque at my own expense), however the wording is something that I would like help with. Also, since I am unable to make it out there anytime soon, I am looking for an experienced individual or group familiar with the location to (correctly) place (mount) the plaque. I don't want to disturb the family with this and am looking for feed back from TN members.

So my questions:
Is this even appropriate?
If so, what exactly should be inscribed on the plaque?
Where should it be placed?

I would appreciate any input... positive or negative.
If you know the area well and want to help with the placement, I can help with your expenses. All I would ask is that you record the effort and if the family welcomes it, provide them with an image of the mounted plaque.
If it were my son, or even me I would appreciate the gesture.
Let me know your thoughts as I would like to make this happen rather soon.

Thank you for the help!
Hal

Somero

Sep 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone,
I have been thinking about having a small metal plaque made which would honor Jesse and acknowledge his effort, but I am worried how this might be received by the family and those who contributed to finding him. I am not asking for financial contributions (I will purchase the plaque at my own expense), however the wording is something that I would like help with. Also, since I am unable to make it out there anytime soon, I am looking for an experienced individual or group familiar with the location to (correctly) place (mount) the plaque. I don't want to disturb the family with this and am looking for feed back from TN members.

So my questions:
Is this even appropriate?
If so, what exactly should be inscribed on the plaque?
Where should it be placed?

I would appreciate any input... positive or negative.
If you know the area well and want to help with the placement, I can help with your expenses. All I would ask is that you record the effort and if the family welcomes it, provide them with an image of the mounted plaque.
If it were my son, or even me I would appreciate the gesture.
Let me know your thoughts as I would like to make this happen rather soon.

Thank you for the help!
Hal

I think your idea is a good one. However we should keep in mind all the others that have had misfortunes out there.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
I think your idea is a good one. However we should keep in mind all the others that have had misfortunes out there.

Perhaps you are correct, however I am not sure that I want to tackle that list... I wouldn't even know where to start.
Jesse on the other hand went missing only a few months before my first hike into the Superstitions and my experience could have easily gone the same way. In fact, it almost did for the gentleman I was hiking with. So, when I think about Jesse and his loss, I think about the mistakes that I made and how fortunate I was to walk out on my own that first trip... in the cruel heat of summer. I have learned a great deal since, about what it takes to survive the Superstitions.
It takes a set of balls to go it alone.

OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal, maybe we can put the plaque on the cliffs by Don`s camp where people could walk to and see it.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well its already been posted about all the others.
Next,it will be torn down and thrown away if it is in NFS. Or Wilderness,ect.
Here's why. I know you have heard of Wyatt Earp.
Well,Mattie Earp came to Pinal city after all the trouble in Tombstone and the town was dying and Pinal city was a silver town growing.
She died of an alcohol,laudamen over dose in Pinal. She was buried in the Pinal Cemetary. Out side of Superior.

Some one stole her headstone so the grave was never disclosed or marked again. So some one went out there and put a 4x4 post in the ground,4 feet high.
Then they hung a black and white picture of her. Then people started putting flowers,ect around it. Google Mattie Earps grave.
The NFS came along and said it was put up illegally,so tore it down,and tossed everything out.
They can do this in cemetery's,and get away with it. You can see how simple and nice it looks,not gaudy and messy and huge.
Anyway,your plaque will get torn down by the NFS or whom ever and thrown away in the trash. Because it was not approved. This how govt entieties can act.

OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Such negativity RR. There is a cross with a nice chrome Harley Davidson air cleaner in the middle on the side of the road down in Texas City, where a biker died in an accident at the intersection. It`s been up for many years and nobody has messed with it.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hal - I would suggest contacting the USFS to see if it could be possible to obtain permission to place a plaque. If I may suggest another site to emplace it, perhaps the last place that Jesse left his signature, at the top of Tortilla, it is a beautiful view from there. Just a thought.
Oroblanco

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Such negativity RR. There is a cross with a nice chrome Harley Davidson air cleaner in the middle on the side of the road down in Texas City, where a biker died in an accident at the intersection. It`s been up for many years and nobody has messed with it.

We have markers on the side of the road also. But adot has control of that part.
I am just saying because I have seen it happen around here.

Was out last weekend with my wife hiking. Went by a marker where 4 boys where drinking and rolled their vehicle and all 4 killed. Big memorial because there where 4 of them.
Gone now. NFS strikes again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal - I would suggest contacting the USFS to see if it could be possible to obtain permission to place a plaque. If I may suggest another site to emplace it, perhaps the last place that Jesse left his signature, at the top of Tortilla, it is a beautiful view from there. Just a thought.
Oroblanco

That would be cool. To go up there to see it, and have a toast in Jesse`s honor, to see the view, and join the ranks of those before us. Chuck

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal ---> Rest peacefully Jessie, you now have found the LDM

Rest in Peace Jessie, You, the Dutchman and the mine are now one...

veni vidi, venci You now the true story of the LDM Jessie

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Oroblanco

A beautiful idea. I will do my best to follow the rules and ask for permission from the USFS. I will share their response here.
I do need a little help with the inscription.
Do we know the date of birth and approximate date of his loss?
What is the full name?
I am looking for a quote that will sum up Jesse's effort. Something appropriate and inspirational to those who find their way to it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you all.

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Hal,

Wonderful idea, if you get denied permission by USFS, you can go to The Lost Dutchman Museum. More people could view it there. I don't know if the museum already has a memorial of some kind honoring Jesse, and all those before, and after him. Good luck.

Homar

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ranger mi buddy, of course he did, The Grim Reaper, among others. I have a date with him also, but not for many, many years yet. Too much to do.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. apologies for the seemingly improper display.

Last edited:

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
All,
This is all that I can come up with. It is anonymous, but thought to be an Apache blessing. I just thought that anyone reading it in place would appreciate the blessing, in both Apache and English... Spanish/German(?).
What do you think?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day. May the moon softly restore you by night. May the rain wash away your worries. May the breeze blow new strength into your being. May you walk gently through the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread