JESSE CAPEN ; What lead him to his search area?

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Hal wrote
“May the sun bring you new energy by day. May the moon softly restore you by night. May the rain wash away your worries. May the breeze blow new strength into your being. May you walk gently through the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

That is a beautiful blessing. Found a quote direct from Jesse too if you would like to add it to the options, which was:

"The end is the beginning."

He had posted it in another forum.

Roy

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Navajo Blessing Way Prayer

In beauty may I walk.

All day long may I walk.

Through the returning seasons may I walk.

On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.

With grasshoppers about my feet may I walk.

With dew about my feet may I walk.

With beauty may I walk.

With beauty before me, may I walk.

With beauty behind me, may I walk.

With beauty above me, may I walk.

With beauty below me, may I walk.

With beauty all around me, may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.

It is finished in beauty.

It is finished in beauty

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Navajo Blessing Way Prayer

In beauty may I walk.

All day long may I walk.

Through the returning seasons may I walk.

On the trail marked with pollen may I walk.

With grasshoppers about my feet may I walk.

With dew about my feet may I walk.

With beauty may I walk.

With beauty before me, may I walk.

With beauty behind me, may I walk.

With beauty above me, may I walk.

With beauty below me, may I walk.

With beauty all around me, may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk.

In old age wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk.

It is finished in beauty.

It is finished in beauty

It has my vote.
What about in Navaho?
Is that possible?

Jan 6, 2010
Something that has been bothering me. When I am hiking I almost always have my pack secured and cinched tightly on my back. Now I understand that a fall of 75feet in rocky terrain can wreak havoc, but would that cause a pack to come loose from a body? Id think that the pack would be found on the body. Just speculating here.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Something that has been bothering me. When I am hiking I almost always have my pack secured and cinched tightly on my back. Now I understand that a fall of 75feet in rocky terrain can wreak havoc, but would that cause a pack to come loose from a body? Id think that the pack would be found on the body. Just speculating here.

Going down is always more difficult than going up. If he was descending in a particularly tight and nasty location, he may have removed the pack for better mobility. Then, trying to control himself and the pack, he could have fallen. Like you, I'm just speculating - although I have found myself in such a situation before.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield

Is wrong to remove the pack . The pack become a part of your body . For mobility control , consciously or subconsciously , we use the hands . And for a better way , we must use a stick .

Last edited:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Springfield

Is wrong to remove the pack . The pack become a part of your body . For mobillity control , consciously or subconsciously , we use the hands . And for a better way , we must use a stick .

Have you ever tried to squeeze between rocks too close together to allow for a pack on your back? You remove the pack, tie on your nylon strap or length of rope, and either haul the pack behind you travelling up, or lower the pack ahead of you going down. A strong argument against this is that you should not find yourself in such a predicament, but ... hey ... stuff happens and you need to be prepared to deal with it.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever tried to squeeze between rocks too close together to allow for a pack on your back? You remove the pack, tie on your nylon strap or length of rope, and either haul the pack behind you travelling up, or lower the pack ahead of you going down. A strong argument against this is that you should not find yourself in such a predicament, but ... hey ... stuff happens and you need to be prepared to deal with it.

If you must to remove the pack to squeeze between rocks , maybe you are in a wrong and dangerous trail . The hiking in the mountains has techniques . Is not a simple walk . Is good everybody who wants to hike in the mountains , to take some hiking and survival lessons from a hiking instructor .

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
If you must to remove the pack to squeeze between rocks , maybe you are in a wrong and dangerous trail . The hiking in the mountains has techniques . Is not a simple walk . Is good everybody who wants to hike in the mountains , to take some hiking and survival lessons from a hiking instructor .

Marius,

For anyone who has searched for mines/treasure in the Superstition Mountains, the highlighted portion of your post shows that you have never done your own search (boots on the ground) in the Supe's. On the other hand, taking some hiking/mountain climbing and survival lessons is always good advise.

Take care,

Joe

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS

I don't often hike trails, but when I do, it's the 'wrong and dangerous' ones I prefer. In lieu of hiking lessons, I'll rely on my 45 or 50 years of off-trail experience to get me back to the truck.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't often hike trails, but when I do, it's the 'wrong and dangerous' ones I prefer. In lieu of hiking lessons, I'll rely on my 45 or 50 years of off-trail experience to get me back to the truck.

I wish you good luck in your off-trail hikes .

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius,

For anyone who has searched for mines/treasure in the Superstition Mountains, the highlighted portion of your post shows that you have never done your own search (boots on the ground) in the Supe's. On the other hand, taking some hiking/mountain climbing and survival lessons is always good advise.

Take care,

Joe

Joe

Don't forget how all those who claimed a mine in the Supes , went to their mines riding and carried mule packs . Is better to follow their trails . To use an own trail is very dangerous and this don't make you more brave .

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe

Don't forget how all those who claimed a mine in the Supes , went to their mines riding and carried mule packs . Is better to follow their trails . To use an own trail is very dangerous and this don't make you more brave .

Marius,

You need to do a lot more research, and spend some time in the Superstitions. After 40-50 years, I will take your advise.

Take care,

Joe

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Not if he was taking it off and when placing on the ground bent over he stood up to fast,got dizzy, and then fell with his hands still on the straps.
A friend and I where hiking in an area last week,by a wash that had small pockets of water,or pools,and also places that had just dried up but the sides where still damp.
I stopped right away and told him we had better go around because right in front of me was about 20 big yellow ground hornets on the damp watered dirt. So there must have been a nest nearby. Could Jesse have stirred up a nest?
My wife and I where hiking around Superior,on a trail. I saw an opening in a cliff,wall on the side of us,behind some bushes.
So I went in to investigate,stirring up some honey bee;s.Well,I told here to run back down the hill. As she was running she put her head down as the bee's where stinging here in the back of the head in her hair.
Think a minute,her head was held downward and she was running forward. Not good to do in the mountains. But I had my eyes on her and was helping her.
Could this have happened to Jesse.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not likely a run in with bees. Few, if any,active in December.
A pack would be removed by a head-first fall and impact.

Regards:SH.

OP
OP
393stroker

393stroker

Jun 27, 2012
HOUSTON
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro-something
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have very well went down that way RR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread