Jesse James Artifact Found in SE Oklahoma. I need all the information I can get.

Sides

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best Photo.jpg

UPDATE

Please. As much info as possible. The metal scratches bright silver. Possibly Lead. It is heavy for its size as well. Dimensions below.

4in x 2 3/8in

1in wide varying slightly

100mm x 60mm

width slants from 22mm to 27mm

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an intriguing thing. I would agree it looks like lead and has some age to it. The inlays appear to be copper wire but surely someone must have cleaned them up at some time after it was “unearthed”. Otherwise, why are they so untarnished versus the rather more oxidised lead? Or was it wrapped in/contained in something when it was unearthed? It doesn’t look like it was moulded as two halves, but who knows? Does it rattle?

It would of course have been much easier to make it from lead than anything else. Since it’s a regular geometric shape and you have now provided the dimensions, as already said, if you were to provide a precise weight (ideally in grams) it would be relatively straightforward to determine if its solid lead or not. One other question. Is the weight of the thing an exact number of ounces or very close to an exact number?

I wouldn’t pay much attention to the backwards ‘N’ or the misspelling of Jesse. The piece has been cast from a mould on which the letters were incusely cut. It’s a common mistake on artisanal hand-made moulds like that to misjudge the mirror-effect that the cast piece will show… and it’s almost always the letter ‘N’ that trips people up. Also, if the date is contemporary then standards of literacy and spelling were not high in those times.

Another question is what might be the relevance of the 1872 date (if that is the date)? The significant events for the James-Younger gang in that year were that they robbed the Bank of Columbia in Kentucky and the Kansas City Exposition Ticket Office in Missouri. Shots were fired on both occasions but more in the Kentucky robbery (both from and towards the gang) rather than mostly in the air by the gang only as was the case in Missouri.

Wouldn’t it be amazing if someone was able to collect enough lead slugs from the Kentucky robbery to mould that thing as a souvenir? Too much to hope for. But maybe someone (falsely) claimed they collected enough lead to do that… in the same kind of way that souvenir playing cards with holes shot through them by Annie Oakley and relics from the Wounded Knee Massacre were hopelessly overclaimed.

Do keep us posted on anything else you learn.

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...

IMO... This is MIGHT BE the "mold" used to make this mystery piece... which leads me to believe... there maybe more of these ... 7 others ? ? ?

OR... only one or two ?... or perhaps I am off.

I believe something like this cornbread iron was used to make this... and perhaps two compartments used then heated together.

PS... I do like the lead bullets being gathered by a bystander after some "shootout" or the likes by a "fan"... and making this.

Hence the "misspell" etc.

anyway...

My guess on the mold used... obviously any maker / version of this skillet... but none the less.

I would bet on it.... perhaps dimensions will clear it.

s-l300.jpg

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe 'souvenir' isn't quite the right word, but there's a lot in human nature that compels people to want something to show and tell that places them or a family member as having witnessed something exciting, even if they didn't really. A kind of "... and you know grandpa was right there in the street when the James gang hit that bank... bullets everywhere... missed him by a whisker... and he collected up the slugs afterwards and had this ingot made from them... ain't that some story, kids?"

I've seen/heard a lot of things along the lines of "grandpa used to work in the Belfast shipyards you know, and he kept this chunk of metal cut off Titanic's propeller when they were finishing it off... see, it's got 'Titanic' engraved on it" or "grandpa would've been a goner if this pocket-watch/bible/whiskey-flask/ hadn't stopped that German sniper bullet when he was in the trenches... he had the date it happened engraved right there on the back".

Pure speculation, but we don't have that much to go on really.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you imagine Frank & Jesse walking into a Jeweler & Picking out a Memorial Piece
to Commemorate their Brotherhood ? or even walking into a Black Smith to buy an Item,
And say, "OH yea ! We want our names Together on it"

I Don't even think a Birthday Card to their Mother would have said from Frank & Jesse

I meant husband Frank and wife Jessie.
Definitely didn’t come from a jeweler.

I don’t see “30000”. I see a pair of boobs and 4 circles.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find the item ? If so can you give some solid story about the basic environment ( not a detailed location) that this was found in ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sides

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Does it open or is it solid?

It is solid but I have heard some suggestions that it may have been made to break open or melt since it was created in 2 halves. Very strange.

Upvote 0

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sides, welcome to TNet, definitely a very cool find, especially with James written on the side (is Jesse also written, I can’t tell from your photo)...can you post more pictures with greater detail - of the other sides and the bottom...again nice find...good luck with your hunts...Walt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sides

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you find the item ? If so can you give some solid story about the basic environment ( not a detailed location) that this was found in ?

I did not. My father unearthed this in a wooded area near an old road in SE Oklahoma. I know it's previous placement to the exact point but of course, I cannot disclose any information. Also I can post more photos on request. I just want to get to the bottom of it or find someone that can.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sides

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sides, welcome to TNet, definitely a very cool find, especially with James written on the side (is Jesse also written, I can’t tell from your photo)...can you post more pictures with greater detail - of the other sides and the bottom...again nice find...good luck with your hunts...Walt

Yes, it says "Jesse James" and "Frank James." It also says what looks to be "1872"

JFJ Names.jpg

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that there is decorative wire on the top
that appears golden in color - have you had that tested to see what the composition is ? If not , I would - also it might be interesting to get an Xray
of it - or some imaging technology to have a glimpse down into it !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Sides

Greenie
Jan 20, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears that there is decorative wire on the top
that appears golden in color - have you had that tested to see what the composition is ? If not , I would - also it might be interesting to get an Xray
of it - or some imaging technology to have a glimpse down into it !

The design on top appears to be copper. I haven't had any tests ran on the item as of yet. I was hoping someone could at least tell me what the heck it could be for starters haha but I might not get that lucky. Not a single person that has seen this can tell me anything further than, "It's KGC" and "The Templar" etc. I would love to know the use of the item. Any suggestions whatsoever of what it was used for would be greatly appreciated

Upvote 0

Guardrailnickel

Jan 11, 2020
Pa. 19512
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great find. I search and could not find anything on your bar. Ill look for more. What does the thing weigh?

If it really is Jesse and Frank James related it could be worth a small fortune. Remember the picture that sold for two million? Can you take some close up pics and post them?

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sides , please re- read my post - especially the part in parenthesis - don't come on here asking for "all the information you can give me " and not be
willing to provide basic background context ! Thank You !

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have found a antique toy treasure box. Likely buried by kids playing many years ago----just my opinion

Upvote 0

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils -Minelab Manticore-
-Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how the letter "N" in Frank is backwards. Is it just me or does it look like its made of stone or concrete with a copper inlay? My opinion is its just some interesting artwork. Cool find none the less. Welcome to TNet!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread