Jesse James Treasures: Do They Likely Still Exist?

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Anyone Is Interested...PBS Is Doing a Show On The Ozarks and Its History. Started at 7pm Central.

I think it's CW Guesewell narrating this documentary. He Was An Amazing Man. Two Hour Show

By the way, that bridge those kids are jumping off of in the early part of the film used to be my favorite place to go swimming. Done a few flips off it myself. :wink: :icon_thumright:

C.W. just breaks your heart with his narration, makes me homesick for the Ozarks. That country gets in your veins, doesn't it? Thanks again.... :notworthy:

weekender

Feb 28, 2009
Arkansas-River Valley-Ft. Smith
Detector(s) used
Prism V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, that bridge those kids are jumping off of in the early part of the film used to be my favorite place to go swimming. Done a few flips off it myself. :wink: :icon_thumright:

C.W. just breaks your heart with his narration, makes me homesick for the Ozarks. That country gets in your veins, doesn't it? Thanks again.... :notworthy:

Kace,
I missed the show, which bridge was shown?
Thanks
-Weekender

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't the Ozark Mountain Daredevils used to jump off that bridge? Just kidding.

Bill

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

That's so cool about the bridge Dit! I kept thinking about how many times I've stood on the dam at Bennett Springs Trout Fishing!

The whole CWG shows ARE Available to purchase! I think it's a 5 DVD set, a book I can't think of the name of, but it's the one about his cabin in Appleton City and all the history of that area and then his book 'A Buick In The Kitchen'. It will be on again...I'll write the info down for you.

It's a great part of the country no doubt! I bet you do miss it!

Kace

PS...Remember his dog Rufus...then his pups Pete and Bear? I used to read his column first thing in the paper to see what they were up to, terrorizing all the cats! lol! I cried when Rufus passed...CW talked about him so much, he almost seemed like he was your dog...He was one of the best storytellers ever I think.

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so cool about the bridge Dit! I kept thinking about how many times I've stood on the dam at Bennett Springs Trout Fishing!

The whole CWG shows ARE Available to purchase! I think it's a 5 DVD set, a book I can't think of the name of, but it's the one about his cabin in Appleton City and all the history of that area and then his book 'A Buick In The Kitchen'. It will be on again...I'll write the info down for you.

It's a great part of the country no doubt! I bet you do miss it!

Kace

PS...Remember his dog Rufus...then his pups Pete and Bear? I used to read his column first thing in the paper to see what they were up to, terrorizing all the cats! lol! I cried when Rufus passed...CW talked about him so much, he almost seemed like he was your dog...He was one of the best storytellers ever I think.

Please do! I'd love to have the set, another favorite was " This Place Called Home ", just an amazing storyteller. And I have his book about the cabin " Away from it all ", definitely a tug on the heart strings. Please let me know what else you can find by him, he was an American Treasure. :icon_thumright:

I know exactly what you mean about his dogs. Hell, I can't even watch " Where the Red Fern Grows " without messin' up my warpaint. Always been a softie for a good dog story. Then again, I've never known a country soul who wasn't, lol.

Thanks again, and I apologize for getting off topic with my trip down memory lane. I'll hush now, carry on please. :notworthy:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Dit..Do you have this special edition on CWG from the Kansas City Star? It's 10 pages of his stories...including pets.

I know Exactly what you mean about movies with animals in them...I have to know it has a happy ending to it or I can't watch it! You are right..CW Gusewelle Is An American Treasure!

IMG_1018.jpg IMG_1018.jpg

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dit..Do you have this special edition on CWG from the Kansas City Star? It's 10 pages of his stories...including pets.

I know Exactly what you mean about movies with animals in them...I have to know it has a happy ending to it or I can't watch it! You are right..CW Gusewelle Is An American Treasure!

View attachment 1525222 View attachment 1525222

No, I don't! That must be awesome to have, lucky you! When was it printed?

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I don't! That must be awesome to have, lucky you! When was it printed?

Sunday, November 20th, 2016. I don't know if KCSTAR would have it archived to send out.

There is no way I can put it up here, it's 10 full, front and back newspaper pages dedicated just to him and his stories but if you'd like me to I can copy or scan it and mail it to you. It's a must for a CWG fan.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Dit, if you or anyone else is interested, go online and enter PBS Charles Gusewelle 'Stories Under The Stone'. It's CW touring cemeteries and talking about Tombstones and the people from many eras. From Civil War Soldiers to Tycoons..

In Stories Under The Stone, he also discusses and shows Indian burial grounds and Mounds...I think those are a must know how to recognize when out in the field.

That site will get you to other video shows he did...I watched a couple that were like 41minutes long of the original 120minutes, but they are still very much worth the watch. If you didn't know there was a longer version, you would never know it. The cabin episode is there too.

Kace

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday, November 20th, 2016. I don't know if KCSTAR would have it archived to send out.

There is no way I can put it up here, it's 10 full, front and back newspaper pages dedicated just to him and his stories but if you'd like me to I can copy or scan it and mail it to you. It's a must for a CWG fan.

Kace

Oh no, I wouldn't ask you to go to that much trouble, but thank you for offering. That's very kind. I will contact the Star and see if they have back issues available, or archives I can access. I'm sure that must have been a very popular issue, he was loved by so many.

Dit, if you or anyone else is interested, go online and enter PBS Charles Gusewelle 'Stories Under The Stone'. It's CW touring cemeteries and talking about Tombstones and the people from many eras. From Civil War Soldiers to Tycoons..

In Stories Under The Stone, he also discusses and shows Indian burial grounds and Mounds...I think those are a must know how to recognize when out in the field.

That site will get you to other video shows he did...I watched a couple that were like 41minutes long of the original 120minutes, but they are still very much worth the watch. If you didn't know there was a longer version, you would never know it. The cabin episode is there too.

Kace

Will do, Thank You!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh no, I wouldn't ask you to go to that much trouble, but thank you for offering. That's very kind. I will contact the Star and see if they have back issues available, or archives I can access. I'm sure that must have been a very popular issue, he was loved by so many.

Well My Friend...You didn't ask...I Offered and If KCSTAR doesn't have it, let me know and I'll scan it and mail it to you. I Really Do Not Mind and It Wouldn't Be Any Trouble! I want you to have a copy of it.

Let me know what you think of Under The Stone after you watch it...He even shows Rufus' Grave and goes to Wayside Waifs cemetery...Two of my fur babies are buried there...

I think I'll watch that show again..

Kace

PS..Remember when I posted about Uncle Hal and his 'Guess Who' Tombstone in the LS cemetery where Cole Younger is buried?...I forgot that Both of those stones are on the show. The show goes to MO, Kansas and the Wyuka Cemetery in Nebraska too. Very Informative And Interesting!

Last edited:

Ditlihi

Banned
Aug 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well My Friend...You didn't ask...I Offered and If KCSTAR doesn't have it, let me know and I'll scan it and mail it to you. I Really Do Not Mind and It Wouldn't Be Any Trouble! I want you to have a copy of it.

Let me know what you think of Under The Stone after you watch it...He even shows Rufus' Grave and goes to Wayside Waifs cemetery...Two of my fur babies are buried there...

I think I'll watch that show again..

Kace

Just checked, have to subscribe to get access to back issues and their archives. I'll pm you.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I put this on another thread..duh...

Anyway, here is the number to call to get CW Gusewelle's DVD's and Books. There are different packages and costs depending on what you already have or want.

Kace

pebble

Apr 25, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
TM808, Arc geo logger
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Are any of the depositories located in any other states ? Pebble

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
This thread is about the existence of Jesse James treasures. I've stated before I think there may be traveling banks but doubt others are around. I say this because Frank James had to work after Jesse's death and why would he if he had access to treasures. The following is an excerpt from the Clinton(MO) Daily Democrat 12-29-17.
Cole Younger and Frank James,having acquiesced to societal demands, ceasing their accumulation of wealth through highly irregular methods of acquisition, found employment through various shows and exhibitions. Like everyone else, they had to make a living. One such job in the early 1900's was with "Buckskin Bill's Wild West Show" which traveled in these parts. Cole agreed to manage the show, with the agreement he, himself, would not have to go on exhibition, and was to receive 25 percent of the proceeds as his salary. Frank on the other hand, was signed to a contract which stipulated he was to be paid $300 a week, a princely sum in those days.
The show arrived in Osceola (MO) on a Sunday morning in 1903 and located on the north bank of the Osage River, across the river from the town. It was a peaceful morning in Osceola. However, that was to soon change. Accounts state that Cole Younger attended Mass that morning at the Catholic Church in Osceola. In the afternoon, he drove a carriage to the site of the grave of his brother, John Younger, who had been killed by a Pinkerton Detective in 1874. The John Younger grave is in Yeater Cemetery, established in 1843, located northwest of Osceola.He also called on and visited at length with George McDonald, an African American who was, unusual to say the least, a Confederate Veteran, his faithful friend in the old days and who had buried John Younger. Cole, it is said by those present, wept at length several times during the visit.
As these things go, a peaceful Sunday then
began to unravel. Back in Osceola, the St. Clair County Sheriff, Mayor of Osceola and Osceola City Marshal, approached Frank and told him they'd heard the show was made up of grafters and plunderers. Frank allowed he was sorry to say this was so. However, he stated he was powerless as he was just an employee but he would do what he could to straighten things out. The officials then approached McKinley and Hoffman, the show's primary managers, and warned them shortchanging and thieving would not be tolerated. The managers knew Frank had confirmed their method of business to authorities.
Later that day, following one show, they encountered Frank on an Osceola street and cursed him in front of an admiring crowd of the former Confederate Army Veterans, some of whom he had been acquainted with during the war.
There are some men who go through life proclaiming through their behavior and commentary, "Shoot Me!" and, generally, at some point there will be folks who will happily oblige them.
The two managers apparently were not, as the quaint term goes, "quite right" as in addition to cursing Frank, one of them tried to pull a handgun. Witnesses stated Frank had his own weapon out and ready in an instant before the handgun of the manager could be fully drawn. Confederate Veterans present begged Frank not to shoot. Frank then addressed the two managers in eloquent and impressive terms.
By this point covered by rifles pulled from carriage,buckboards and saddles by Confederate Veterans, the tow idiotic managers descended into further difficulties. Cole Younger drove by in his carriage, took in the situation, halted, placed a carriage brake in place, leaped down and stood by James, stating,"What's the matter,Frank? I'm with you." Confederate Veterans convinced Frank and Cole to walk away.
City Marshal Calvird, who had arrived on the scene understandably concerned there was going to be major gunplay in the streets of Osceola, ordered McKinley and Hoffman to depart the area and go to their show train cars on a siding. For his troubles, Marshal Calvird was also cursed by the two men who were then promptly arrested with, it is said, commendable vigor by law offices with the "assistance" of a number of Confederate Veterans.
McKinley and Hoffman were frog marched to the jail and locked up, fined $23.65 each for disturbing the peace, told to get out of town within the hour and informed there were people in St. Clair County who, if they could get their hands on them, wanted to "counsel" them on the errors of their ways. It was later learned Frank, in advance of the show traveling to Osceola, had warned Hoffman and McKinley some of them would probably be, at the least, beaten up or even killed if they swindled St. Clair County people, whom he knew from the war, would not stand for such business.
Ultimately, both Cole and Frank left this particular show after being in Butler(MO) and then Clinton(MO). They filled a lawsuit saying their contracts had specified the show was to be a high grade attraction and instead, they stated sanctimoniously, lawless people had plundered the public, McKinley and Hoffman accused Cole's nephew, Harry Hall, of embezzlement of $6000 from the show as treasurer.
Publisher Charles Whitaker of the Clinton Daily Democrat in 1903 interviewed Frank who piously said, in a message to the people of Clinton, We keenly feel the disgrace of having our local friends come to our show only to be robbed and swindled by thieves who are hired for that purpose by the owners of the show." The Clinton Daily Democrat in turn editorialized. "The show is now traveling in Kansas and the Indian Territory. And in every town it visits, the thieves are loose to ply their vocation to rob and shortchange people."
I think Frank and Cole later, perhaps the next year had their own show but as short lived. My point again is, if there were buried treasures, why did they work?

Benjamin Gates

May 21, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a cover?? If you are not working...how are you to live? If you are not working...and living comfortably...then you are spending $$ to get yourself caught. JMO.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Well, the $300 a wk. Frank was getting paid was 6-12 months wages for a normal working man. Maybe he didn't need a treasure?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread