OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richmond Virginia or Richmond New York?I been going with Virginia. A group was involved in at tail end of dates in getting transportation advanced as Richmond entered industrial revolution but i see no ties to anything else going on in area.

Virginia....though the letters are just addressed "Richmond"...but we do know most of this activity was centered in Richmond, Virginia. What is curious is that in 1862 our unknown author still had, "important business in Richmond." Now we're fairly confident that we know who he was and why he was in Richmond at the time, we're also fairly confident that we understand why he sought out Sherman, Ward, & Morriss. But, there simply had to be something else in Richmond, something of significance throughout the entire period that these men trusted and utilized?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Virginia....though the letters are just addressed "Richmond"...but we do know most of this activity was centered in Richmond, Virginia. What is curious is that in 1862 our unknown author still had, "important business in Richmond." Now we're fairly confident that we know who he was and why he was in Richmond at the time, we're also fairly confident that we understand why he sought out Sherman, Ward, & Morriss. But, there simply had to be something else in Richmond, something of significance throughout the entire period that these men trusted and utilized?

Just share your "theory". The Confederate War was the BIGGEST "event" in Richmond, Va.; Prez Jeff Davis was "headquartered" there; "unknown author" of the B.P. aka JOB PRINT (1885) was Charles Hutter (CSA PAYMASTER)... GRANDSON of JB RISQUE (Lynchburg, Va.)... as was JB WARD! BOTH James Beverly Ward & the Hutter Bros... GRANDSONS of JB RISQUE, played together at the RISQUE FARM/PLANTATION in Campbell County, Va. (south of Lynchburg). ALL that remains today is PLANTATION ROAD; along Falling Creek area of Campbell County, and "the Plantation" is where the RISQUE Family Cemetery is... JB Ward is BURIED there!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just share your "theory". The Confederate War was the BIGGEST "event" in Richmond, Va.; Prez Jeff Davis was "headquartered" there; "unknown author" of the B.P. aka JOB PRINT (1885) was Charles Hutter (CSA PAYMASTER)... GRANDSON of JB RISQUE (Lynchburg, Va.)... as was JB WARD! BOTH James Beverly Ward & the Hutter Bros... GRANDSONS of JB RISQUE, played together at the RISQUE FARM/PLANTATION in Campbell County, Va. (south of Lynchburg). ALL that remains today is PLANTATION ROAD; along Falling Creek area of Campbell County, and "the Plantation" is where the RISQUE Family Cemetery is... JB Ward is BURIED there!
what was going on with them a couple decades prewar in pamphlet time frame?.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The actual events all pre-dated the Civil War by some 40 years or more, but in 1862 those with knowledge of these earlier events were in Richmond again. I know it's not the answer/source many have been hoping for but the facts remain as they are, the dates, the missing fortune, the people involved, their circumstances, and it can all be brought back not only to Bedford County, but also directly to Sherman. Ironically, in 1862, Jerome Bonaparte is in Richmond and he is looking to buy certain properties in the very same region as the claimed deposits. During his stay in Richmond he and/or his agents spent time in Lynchburg/Bedford/Montville, etc., just as Joseph Bonaparte, Charles Lellamand and his brother Henri, and others had done many years before. Evidence survives that supports the existence of a strong Bonapartist attitude in the region during the period in question, this including members of the Buford family and several others. And let us not forget Risque as surviving evidence also suggest that he at least knew Stephen Girard (from surviving court records). And in all of this, Beale Sr. knew the Laffite's who were at the very heart and center of many of the people and the events in question. In 1821 Laffite recommended to Mr. Sherman and others that they stick to their promise and distribute the gold to the indicated places"...which they apparently did, or perhaps didn't do exactly to design? The Mr. Sherman in the above detail was related to John Sherman, "Mexico Sherman"...the man who moved to Alabama near the vine and olive colony was John Sherman's uncle, which would make him the brother of John Sherman's father. Risque and Beale supposedly have their famous duel....not too difficult to ascertain what it may have really been over once you make a study of the different family trees....then many years later Ward and Sherman become involved in the famous Beale Pamphlet. It's all there......

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
All followers to our French theory. I'm currently working on going thru a huge collection of Stephen Girard with some help from Elizabeth the curator. This collection is huge. There are some names I've found listed that we all know and know well, ie; Risqué, Sherman, a large selection of Beale names including Thomas, also a list of Lafitte names. I have to locate the documents in the collection, I've started with the names. More to come soon.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Show the connections then...
...and that is the problem.All the connections take you down the rabbit hole to the golden brick road onto the lost highway then back to the rabbit hole.A long strange mobius trip of almost but not quit right connections.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All followers to our French theory. I'm currently working on going thru a huge collection of Stephen Girard with some help from Elizabeth the curator. This collection is huge. There are some names I've found listed that we all know and know well, ie; Risqué, Sherman, a large selection of Beale names including Thomas, also a list of Lafitte names. I have to locate the documents in the collection, I've started with the names. More to come soon.

They've just not taken the trip in the right rabbit hole yet. :thumbsup: "no connections".......:laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no doubting this source as being, the source of the story. Problem is that unless you've taken it upon yourself to investigate what's being put out here then you've only been exposed to a tiny fraction of the materials/records/documents that have been, and still are being, searched. To put it all out here would require volumes just to bring everyone up to speed to where we're at today and that's just not possible. But the bits and pieces that have been put out here should be more then enough to bring the basics to light. Do we have all the answers we seek....no, but we are working on it. :thumbsup:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
...and that is the problem.All the connections take you down the rabbit hole to the golden brick road onto the lost highway then back to the rabbit hole.A long strange mobius trip of almost but not quit right connections.

THERE you GO!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

ELIZABETH...? WHERE...?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ELIZABETH...? WHERE...?

One thing we've discovered recently is that many businesses & people of influence during the period kept in their employment select individuals that were given the title of, "runners". The individuals were basically couriers of favor, their task being the transporting and delivering of important documents, shipments, etc. We do know that Girard kept a "Beale" in his employment as a runner of favor.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is easy to find where information like this is located, Rebel. This collection is in Philadelphia.

There are boxes and boxes with reference numbers stacked to the walls that have never been gone through. There are numerous private collections in existence that we don't know very much about concerning their exact contents. And then there are those people with a lot of knowledge on the subject who either simply don't care much about any of it anymore or they simply don't care to get involved or to share much of what they actually know. And this is my personal favorite, there is also pride, those people who have committed themselves to ideals that they will continue to protect at all cost, even when, and especially when, they start to realize that their prior ideals/commitment may have been wrong. We've run into this a couple of different times now with past and present authors/curators/etc. Point is, the information is out there, and there's a great deal more on the subject then we first realized, but gaining access to it isn't always easy for a lot of different reasons.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I DO think that the "BP" COULD have some "influence" from the legends of J. Swift Silver Mines of Kentucky (@ 1788); see J. Swift Silver Mines Legends on this web-site. Swift & Associates left from Alexandria, Va. & the FILSON "take" on this (JSSM)
is GREAT! Kentucky was part of OLD Virginia, back "then". French "involvement" in the JSSM is indicated... AND! Ppl are looking for the J. Swift Silver Mines, the Beale Treasure, the CSA Treasury; hmmm...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really believe this is eventually going to lead us to Corsica. "Several" of the main suspected conspirators end up there in 1832 and prior to this there was even a special event in the Bedford/Lynchburg area that many residents participated in that is also connected to this same Mediterranean region. Ironically, 1832 also signals the end of the ten-year term described in the pamphlet.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I really believe this is eventually going to lead us to Corsica. "Several" of the main suspected conspirators end up there in 1832 and prior to this there was even a special event in the Bedford/Lynchburg area that many residents participated in that is also connected to this same Mediterranean region. Ironically, 1832 also signals the end of the ten-year term described in the pamphlet.

Hmmm... SPECIAL event in this area in 1832. WHAT was it...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread