John Sherman + "Mr. Sherman" = Bedford = Vine & Olive Colony = Galveston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
So could Alexandre Lafitte attend the lodge meetings in Philly as the secretary? Antoine Lafitte (Jeans son) was the secretary at the time. But in the minutes of the lodge both names are listed when Antoine is the secretary. I'm in deep on the genealogy of Antoine now looking for his baptismal records.

HH Jay

If he was a member... YES!

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
If he was a member... YES!

In the Washington lodge #2 in Philly Alexandre and Antoine were listed as the secretary. But Antoine was elected secretary of that lodge. So if Alexandre was the secretary in say New Orleans could he sign in to the Philly meetings as secretary? And did Madison have an estate near Jefferson?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NO records of 'em being in the area...

There are some "accounts" of their visiting the region. The difficulty in running across these various accounts lays in where you have to look, and that is usually in their personal correspondences etc., many of which we might never know even exist since there are so many personal/private collections in existence. I really believe the truth is out there somewhere already on paper but that it simply isn't in the form that would mean much of anything to anyone other then an already informed person. This is why we have tried to learn all we can about these various people, etc., so that if/when we do happen to run across such a writing it might not be so easily dismissed/overlooked.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In the Washington lodge #2 in Philly Alexandre and Antoine were listed as the secretary. But Antoine was elected secretary of that lodge. So if Alexandre was the secretary in say New Orleans could he sign in to the Philly meetings as secretary? And did Madison have an estate near Jefferson?

COULD have; James Madison had a place in Orange, Va., NORTH of TJ & Ch'ville, Va. in Orange COUNTY; BEEN THERE! James Monroe had a place down from "Little Mountain" (Monticello - TJ); called Ash Lawn-Highland; BEEN THERE!

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
COULD have; James Madison had a place in Orange, Va., NORTH of TJ & Ch'ville, Va. in Orange COUNTY; BEEN THERE! James Monroe had a place down from "Little Mountain" (Monticello - TJ); called Ash Lawn-Highland; BEEN THERE!

Cool thanks for a lil more local insight Reb. Now a return bit from me to y'all. In girards collection there are letters from Joey Boneparte and Henri lallemande after Henri arrives in the country that they visit 2 mineral springs in the immediate area of Buford's tavern. A sweet lil town called Liberty. At one point in mid-late 1816 or 17 they meet people there for slave trading.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool thanks for a lil more local insight Reb. Now a return bit from me to y'all. In girards collection there are letters from Joey Boneparte and Henri lallemande after Henri arrives in the country that they visit 2 mineral springs in the immediate area of Buford's tavern. A sweet lil town called Liberty. At one point in mid-late 1816 or 17 they meet people there for slave trading.

And thus, the real source to the mystery begins to thicken and take shape. :thumbsup: Here again, this information is/was tucked away in obscurity, its significance gone entirely unrealized until someone who knew its true value happened to upon it. The written truth is out there somewhere.

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
And thus, the real source to the mystery begins to thicken and take shape. :thumbsup: Here again, this information is/was tucked away in obscurity, its significance gone entirely unrealized until someone who knew its true value happened to upon it. The written truth is out there somewhere.

And as the world turns lol

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It turns Sloooow...but certain.:laughing7::thumbsup:

Yes, there ARE two "resort" Springs; one belonging to my DISTANT kin, leading to TATE's Spring Road (Edmund Tate); part of Bedford County, "back then". He had a bridge across Black Water Creek.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the types of obscure references we've run across that let us know these people had frequented the area, nearly all of them coming in the form of correspondences rather then in written historical accounts. You just never know - a lot of new names dropped all the time and if you don't go and investigate those new people of interest you run the risk of possibly missing important bits of information. I was just telling Jay the other night about a familiar name that showed up on one of the first maps of the west. If this is the same person then he ends up being "very-very strongly" connected to Joseph Bonaparte. Only time will tell. :dontknow:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
THREE other Springs "in this area" were Blue Ridge Springs (in the mountains, above Montvale/Buford's in VIRGINIA); Buffalo Springs in Amherst County (North of Lynchburg) on OLD BUFFALO ROAD (Rt. 60), and another one between Lynchburg & Bedford County, VIRGINIA.

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
THREE other Springs "in this area" were Blue Ridge Springs (in the mountains, above Montvale/Buford's in VIRGINIA); Buffalo Springs in Amherst County (North of Lynchburg) on OLD BUFFALO ROAD (Rt. 60), and another one between Lynchburg & Bedford County, VIRGINIA.

I found remnants of what looks like a spring resort due east of the tavern on the north side of the highway. I need to look at the map again.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That spring resort was owned by the Phillip Brown Family. There is a drawing of the spring resort in Pollock's book, "A Sketchbook of Lynchburg published around 1885.

Sorry about the double post I was trying to edit the other post and ended up with two.

HA! I was trying to "read between the lines"; MAYBE LIONS, one of which is at the Peaks of Otter...

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
That spring resort was owned by the Phillip Brown Family. There is a drawing of the spring resort in Pollock's book, "A Sketchbook of Lynchburg published around 1885.

Sorry about the double post I was trying to edit the other post and ended up with two.

What else did Pollock wrote?

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
He talks about the great fire in Lynchburg, Va has several photos of old buildings, the government officials and history of old Lynch's Ferry, maps of the old town and it's citizens with their histories-----a real good read but he never once mentions the Beale Treasure.

Thanks ill try to find it to learn a lil. Do you recall if he talks about the Morriss family?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Only that Robert Morriss was Mayor of Lynchburg. I don't have the book anymore but I believe the year was 1813 while his partner was a Captain in the later Battle of New Orleans. His partner was James Dunnington of the later rich tobacconist Dunnington Family.

franklin is correct... I have a copy of SAME book. It IS about Lynchburg, VIRGINIA, 1885. GREAT book!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread