Just became a Minelab Owner,

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Guys i just sold my gti2500 and purchased a quattro. I could not splurge for the expII, but I am struggling to learn this machine. It is completely different than my garret was. I pick my program, usually coin/jewelry and i hit noise cancel in an area with no metal. Once the machine finishes i begin detecting but i get alot of sounds and false signals. I managed to dig a piece of metal about 10 inches down but i think it was worthless. It nulls alot though, and i wonder if my land is that trashy. My sensitivity is on 20 , the facotry setting and my threshold is on 15. Is that ok or would reducing the sens help eliminate the trash

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dr.Jones

Dr.Jones

Aug 19, 2005
Kennett square , PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Update!! I currently live next to a large farm with plent of plowed over fields. I had a theory that my quattro was picking up all the signals because of my yard being trashy, well atleast underground. I went to the field about 80 yards from my door and i put my sensitivity up to about 19 and it ran great. I got some nulls, but no patchy flute whistle signals, just 3 strong singals which read 35, 37 and 17 in three different areas. I did not dig because the ground here in NJ is hard. I brought it back to my yard and wham tons of sounds. My theory is my house burnt down in 1994 and we had one rebuilt on the same spot. We actually had a trailer put out back until the other one was built. there are nails and screws and remnants of my old house all over, plus my dad had a garage outback that was tore down and now all that is left is a concrete pad. I believe that my yard is a trash bin. From the experts would this account for my quattro making sounds?? It is highly unlikely that the ground mineralization changes dramatically within 50 yards.Any ideas

R

rvbvetter

? ? ?I've never used the Quatro so I'm of no help on it. But I have the Exp II and at the very beginning because it wasn't silent running, it had me chasing myself because of little hits here and there. Aggravating, but in short time through use and rereading my manual. I bgan to understand what it was doing and trying to tell me. And now it's my favorite to use out of 5 Detectors I have.
? ?So hang with it and you'll soon realize it's potential. But don't hunt around any dumpsters while your learning it. At the beginning, mine had me glancing around a time or two for a dumpster to chuck it in.? ? ?
Until you understand it better, in a trashy spot like you describe, just listen through all the flute playing. For the highest pitch you hear and that will most often be a coin. Except for the zinc cent which will be lower.? ? ? ? ?HH

J

jerryshunt

go to findmall.com those guys will tell you whats goin on.............the quattro forum

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that "Taps" I hear playing in the background? ??? Just kidding, read my signature! Monty

R

rvbvetter

LOL Actually, it is! But it will soon be over. Just as soon as we get this green thing buried. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread